PDA

View Full Version : How is the reliability of the ACR?

Maddog5150
06-22-2010, 3:10 AM
Is it the glock of the rifle world that I've been hearing it is or is it a pile of poo. I am thinking about buying one especially now that we are carrying them.

Quiet
06-22-2010, 3:30 AM
There's some reviews on other sites (like M4carbine).
Most are good and a few are bad (M4C poster had his ACR kaboom at around the 4200 round mark).

AlliedArmory
06-22-2010, 3:32 AM
I haven't really fired mine much, but for the first few hundred rds it is fine. No lube anywhere except for a few drops on the bolt. No malfunctions of any kind so far.

BMWguy206
06-22-2010, 7:00 AM
I want one so bad!

EBR Works
06-22-2010, 9:19 AM
Is it the glock of the rifle world that I've been hearing it is

The AK is the "glock of the rifle world". :D

Black Majik
06-22-2010, 9:30 AM
I think it is too early to tell.

Notblake
06-22-2010, 9:34 AM
that kaboom was due to a huge error on the ammo's part from what I understand.

ArkinDomino
06-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Looks like it would be very reliable, but it hasn't been extensively battle tested like the AR or the AK.

tacticalcity
06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
We won't know for sure until 20 years have gone by. They just hit the market this year. So "reliability" comments one way or the other are personal opinion and not fact. A bad review could be one guy getting one bad rifle, or him doing something stupid, or him using bad ammo, you never know. Likewise, a great review with all kinds of exciting statistics on the toruture tests they put that one rifle through could mean they got a good one, and the rest are spotty. It's WAY too early to say.

If reliabality is your primary concern, then you buy stuff that is time tested and battle proven. If you want something new and exciting, that is fine as well but you do so knowing it is unproven.

Personally, I would love to have one. Just have too many other things I want to add to my collection more.

Maddog5150
06-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah I feel you on that. I know the AK is the glock of the rifle world but want something more glock like. you know. square, ugly, plastic and able to throw in the dishwasher at the end of the day :D

Tacom
06-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Isn't it technically the glocks are AKs of the pistol world since AKs came first like impactco said?

abusalim81
06-23-2010, 1:38 AM
There's some reviews on other sites (like M4carbine).
Most are good and a few are bad (M4C poster had his ACR kaboom at around the 4200 round mark).

I've heard about Glocks going KaBooM so maybe the ACR is Glock like! :D

Average Joe American
06-23-2010, 1:52 AM
I think when you lay all the "facts and specs" on the table... the ACR is just over priced at $2,200.00! I mean C'mon I am a Magpul koolaide drinking junkie myself but "NO CHROME LINED BARREL and 1:9 twist?"

I have $1200 cash in my pocket right now and I dont think I even want to save up the extra $1000 bucks for the ACR at this point?

The new Stag model 8 and S&W M&P15PSX are looking to be a better deal on paper as far as specs go for a piston AR?

AlliedArmory
06-23-2010, 7:22 AM
I think when you lay all the "facts and specs" on the table... the ACR is just over priced at $2,200.00! I mean C'mon I am a Magpul koolaide drinking junkie myself but "NO CHROME LINED BARREL and 1:9 twist?"

I have $1200 cash in my pocket right now and I dont think I even want to save up the extra $1000 bucks for the ACR at this point?

The new Stag model 8 and S&W M&P15PSX are looking to be a better deal on paper as far as specs go for a piston AR?

According to Bushmaster

1x9 Bbl Twist vs. 1x7: 1/7 bbl assemblies will be offered. BFI did 1:9 bc tests show that for 62 gr and under it was more accurate than 1:7. However, 1:9 does not stabilize 77 gr and above as well, so for customers requiring a. 1:7 it will be offered separate and installed in the rifle late spring.

Chrome lined vs. New Proprietary Coating: Many have pointed out that the ACR barrels are not chrome lined and that is correct... They are not. That does not mean that they are not coated. As stated in our original press release the ACR barrels, and all internal components, feature a new, proprietary coatings that are substrate conversions which vastly increase durability, lubricity and reliability.

tomd1584
06-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Is it the glock of the rifle world that I've been hearing it is or is it a pile of poo. I am thinking about buying one especially now that we are carrying them.

its only been out for what? a year? Waaay to early to call it the "glock of the rifle world".

Average Joe American
06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
I just want to know what the "proprietary coating" is thats all. I mean if I am spending $2200 I think I have the right to know what the secret coating is?

Why hide it? No body else hides what coating is on their top tier rifles. Just tell us already!

Jpach
06-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Id imagine they are doing something like nitrocarburizing. If all the stuffa bout nitrocarbing is true, then chrome lining realy is obsolete.

SigEquinox
06-23-2010, 1:03 PM
I haven't really fired mine much, but for the first few hundred rds it is fine. No lube anywhere except for a few drops on the bolt. No malfunctions of any kind so far.

Same here. I got mine recently and only 100 or so rounds through it. No problems at all, and it really shoots nicely. Very little felt recoil. Reminds me of the SCAR.

I was a bit worried about buying it due to some of the negative reviews floating around, but now that I have one and have shot it, I'm really liking it and am glad I didn't give too much credence to the bad reviews.