PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read on DI rifles VS fouling myth

problemchild
06-21-2010, 11:49 PM
http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4-myth-fouling-caused-by-the-direct-impingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable/

Average Joe American
06-22-2010, 12:09 AM
So wait, DI AR's dont get fouling in the star chamber and the bolt? That black stuff is all a myth?

oaklander
06-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Summary:

They get fouling, but problems caused by weak springs.

Josh3239
06-22-2010, 1:28 AM
Been posted a few times. Excellent article nonetheless.

:laugh: = star chamber

reidnez
06-22-2010, 7:53 AM
The other huge problem is a lack of unit-level (e.g., armory) maintenance. I can't speak to the entire military but I definitely saw it repeatedly in the Marine Corps. For the most part, the armories I've dealt with didn't change anything until it broke. They are obsessive about cleaning and lube, but genuine preventive maintenance like monitoring and replacing key parts before failure--not so much. The analogy I'd make would be driving a car for several years and doing no maintenance except changing the oil. You will probably get away with it for a long time, but eventually your radiator will rust through or your belt will snap, and it will inevitably happen at the worst possible time. I'm sure there are some good armorers and don't want to step on any toes, that's just what I saw in the units I was in. Heck, I was sent to Ramadi with two bad magazines if that gives you any sense of how things work. Now, most civilians are honestly never going to put enough rounds (tens of thousands) through a single rifle to start causing parts to really wear, but in the military that's commonplace.

sd1023x
06-22-2010, 9:37 AM
So, after reading the article, if the AR didn't barf in its own mouth, it probably would've fired far past the 2400 round mark.

Question, so if his gun malfunctioned on some magazines and if the magazine is inserted into another rifle and works flawlessly, would that be a true gun malfunction?

Josh3239
06-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Looks like you missed the point, re-read the conclusion.