PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article :Owner wants Guns Back

antonio
06-21-2010, 8:33 PM
SACRAMENTO COUNTY, Calif. -- A Carmichael business owner said he is getting the runaround from Sacramento County law enforcement.

He said officials confiscated his property and won't give it back, even though he is not accused of doing anything wrong.

The store owner in question is also a longtime state prison counselor who said he has always had a good working relationship with law enforcement.

Bill Dunbar said he was acting in self-defense when he used a Smith & Wesson handgun to shoot and kill one of two men who broke into his store and threatened him a year ago.

Afterward, sheriff's investigators confiscated two of Dunbar's collector's edition guns, worth thousands of dollars, as part of the investigation.

But a month after the surviving burglar was sentenced to prison and the case was closed, Dunbar is still being denied his confiscated property.

"It's not only that I have a right to have them, it's my property. Why haven't I gotten them back?" Dunbar asked.

Adding to Dunbar's concern is that the district attorney told KCRA 3 it has sent a letter to the sheriff directing the department to release Dunbar's property. However, the Sheriff's Department has repeatedly told KCRA 3 it has received no such letter.

"Yeah, it's the runaround. No one wants responsibility for anything," Dunbar said. "You end up being the victim. You're the one who almost seems like you did the wrong deed."

A district attorney's official did acknowledge there appears to be some confusion.

The Sheriff's Department said it has not lost Dunbar's guns, but because they are still considered evidence, the department could not show the guns to verify that.

Cobrafreak
06-21-2010, 8:52 PM
B.S. This guy needs CALGUNS to get his property back.

N6ATF
06-21-2010, 8:58 PM
They're destroyed. That's why he ain't getting even a look at them.

hoffmang
06-21-2010, 9:16 PM
If any of our fine community know how to get in touch with this fellow we can get his guns back in about... two weeks.

Seriously.

-Gene

antonio
06-21-2010, 9:18 PM
I will go by his place of business tomorrow and talk 2 him... who would i have him talk 2

The Wingnut
06-21-2010, 9:19 PM
They're destroyed. That's why he ain't getting even a look at them.

Possibly, although they could have joined a collection belonging to a Sheriff dept.'s employee...

thayne
06-21-2010, 9:20 PM
If any of our fine community know how to get in touch with this fellow we can get his guns back in about... two weeks.

Seriously.

-Gene

I found his info for you. he owns this jewlery store

Marconi Coin & Jewelry Exchange
4949 Marconi Ave Ste F
Carmichael, CA 95608-6820 map

Phone:
(916) 486-0327

antonio
06-21-2010, 9:20 PM
hoffmang pm sent

56Chevy
06-21-2010, 9:21 PM
Afterward, sheriff's investigators confiscated two of Dunbar's collector's edition guns, worth thousands of dollars, as part of the investigation.
Sounds very suspicious...I've heard this sort of story before.

thayne
06-21-2010, 9:23 PM
Sounds very suspicious...I've heard this sort of story before.

Gene's on it now. I feel sorry for them if something shady is up :D Haha No I dont really ;)

bballwizard05
06-21-2010, 9:23 PM
GO GET'EM GENE!!! hot damn this stuff fires me up!

N6ATF
06-21-2010, 9:29 PM
I will go by his place of business tomorrow and talk 2 him... who would i have him talk 2

Calguns toll-free 1 (800) 556-2109

Peashooter
06-21-2010, 9:31 PM
Honestly. heads should roll for these kinds of travesties of justice.
There is a papertrail and it should be brought to light in every case and not get shuffled under the rug.

antonio
06-21-2010, 9:33 PM
Cal Guns is awesome..... I hope this guy can get his firearms back

GuyW
06-21-2010, 9:44 PM
When he gets them back, they'll be scratched, dented and rusted....

...and he should sue over that lost value....

N6ATF
06-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Possibly, although they could have joined a collection belonging to a Sheriff dept.'s employee...

As if they would ever admit to theft/embezzlement...

mosinnagantm9130
06-22-2010, 12:06 AM
It would be great if calguns could help this guy out.

bwiese
06-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Thayne,

Thanks for the contact info.

We'll be on it; the learning disabilities of Sacto SD can be corrected with "therapy".

He probably needs to file LEGR + $20 instead of a demand letter. Once the first is done, they HAVE to give his
gun back (unless illegal, but fergawdsakes they're S&Ws!).

There's no way they're 'evidence' anymore if the case is over & done with and perp is in jail and no charges
have been filed against the owner [time for that was long ago...]

Dirk Tungsten
06-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Subscribed, hoping for a positive outcome for the guy.

gtturborex
06-22-2010, 5:56 AM
Awesome. Thanks Calguns for protecting the little guy

BigJim_610
06-22-2010, 6:47 AM
Good luck

Cobrafreak
06-22-2010, 7:06 AM
Let us know how it finally turned out.

bden
06-22-2010, 9:48 AM
Subscribed, hoping for a positive outcome for the guy.

Awesome. Thanks Calguns for protecting the little guy

+1 :thumbsup:

winnre
06-22-2010, 9:54 AM
Please post how this ends!

Vtec44
06-22-2010, 9:58 AM
Thanks Calguns. Another donation from me is long over due.

:D

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-22-2010, 9:59 AM

+1

and may even have ID/evidence stickers on the wood stocks :eek: don't ask me how I know.....

Nose Nuggets
06-22-2010, 10:09 AM
sweet, sweet justice.

Crovax
06-22-2010, 11:21 AM
I hope this guy gets his property back.

My buddy's grandpa had to shoot a home invader that came at him with a knife. When he asked for his gun back from the cops they said 'do you really want a gun that killed someone?' and he said 'of course I do, now I know it works...'

geeknow
06-22-2010, 11:31 AM

he doesnt need to sue in order to receive compensation for property damaged in evidence.

search my threads, it's already been done...

GuyW
06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
he doesnt need to sue in order to receive compensation for property damaged in evidence.

search my threads, it's already been done...

Interesting - that may be the basis for the foot-dragging in returning them....

vantec08
06-22-2010, 2:36 PM
A district attorney's official did acknowledge there appears to be some confusion.

No antonio . .. . .no confusion at all. Its very clear that politicians/lawmakers in CA are unleashing the Supreme Power of the State and LE on the very people the 2nd amendment was designed for. And LE, ever chasing the generous pension, complies with no problems.

cmth
06-22-2010, 5:27 PM
Would not be the first time that some valuable, collectible guns were "reappropriated" for other purposes by members of the constabulary. Usually happens after "buy-backs", but also when evidence weapons get misplaced when they are scheduled to be destroyed. I will take a wild guess that they didn't have a warrant to seize the collectibles when they took them, either.

Riodog
06-22-2010, 5:44 PM
Long story short.
I loaned a Colt Commander series 70 45acp to a friend of mine. He went through a divorce, etc., and turned it into the Hemet Ca. police dept. When he went to retrieve it they told him it was destroyed. This was a carry weapon that was built for me by Armond Swenson back in 1976 for work.
I am beyond pissed as I know it's just sitting in some thieving bastards gun safe.
I'm working on it.
This craps gotta stop.
Rio

yellowfin
06-22-2010, 6:22 PM
Why didn't he just give it back to you?

Sniper3142
06-22-2010, 6:26 PM
This is becoming SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for just about every police department in this state!! :mad:

They give citizens the run around, stall, delay, deny, refuse, and just about anything else they can to not return a firearm to the rightful owner!!

They hope the citizen will not have the time, money, or knowledge needed to fight for the return of their property.

Their sole goal in doing this is to hopefully have the citizen give up so they can keep or destroy the firearm! In their minds, its one less firearm "out there" or "on the streets" that they might have to deal with in the future. This mentality comes from the idiots in Sacramento and most of the other politicians and officals in this state.

They will do whatever they can to attack the 2A and the RKBA in this state.

antonio
06-22-2010, 6:51 PM
Well I talked 2 bill Dunbar today the owner of the business. He was more then happy 2 talk about the incident. I told him about cal guns and he said he would look at the forum. He also said he is a NRA member and they offered 2 help but no one ever called him back from the NRA

FreedomIsNotFree
06-22-2010, 7:01 PM
Well I talked 2 bill Dunbar today the owner of the business. He was more then happy 2 talk about the incident. I told him about cal guns and he said he would look at the forum. He also said he is a NRA member and they offered 2 help but no one ever called him back from the NRA

I believe this is a situation where CGF shines. CGF has been down this road many times and know exactly what buttons to push and levers to pull. I would bet my last dollar that the gentleman has his gun back within 30 days. It's condition may be another matter entirely.

CP562
06-23-2010, 2:50 AM
I believe this is a situation where CGF shines. CGF has been down this road many times and know exactly what buttons to push and levers to pull. I would bet my last dollar that the gentleman has his gun back within 30 days. It's condition may be another matter entirely.

Seems to be the case, from reading some of the threads I've had an opportunity to explore the last few days. I will soon be making my first donation to CGF, as a direct result.

If I was ever so unfortunate to find myself in a situation like this, it's good to know that CGF is about more than just lip service, and is actually there for it's members (and even not-yet or soon-to-be members such as the gentleman in this case).

:2guns:

JimWest
06-23-2010, 6:02 AM
... said he would look at the forum. He also said he is a NRA member and they offered 2 help but no one ever called him back from the NRA

For anyone that goes through this, immediately after the incident they should contact a lawyer or calguns specifically to engage the authorities and make them aware they are being scrutinized regarding possesion of private property.

I had a similar situation in 1978. I was asked to turn over the weapon to sheriff's dept. I did. Without my asking, the deputy gave me a receipt. After two phone calls three months later I was told to come pick up the weapon. It was returned in fine shape. Much more to the story for another time perhaps. Different world today.

geeknow
06-23-2010, 7:33 AM
OP,

here's what you do;

Obtain 'law enforcement gun release' form...usually, you have to start this process with the prosecuting agency (as in, DA's office). They will have to sign off on the firearm, stating that it is no longer needed for the case (usually, they will only do this once the case is resolved). Once you have obtained this release, you need to contact the LE agency that has the gun, and get in contact with whomever was in charge of that 'case'. You need to notify them that you have obtained a LEGR, and want to arrange to receive your property....you need to be PERSISTENT here...They will, eventally, inform you of their agency's 'property room' rules and return your property.

But pay attention...this is the important part.

When you DO get your firearm back, strip it down...right there on the spot. Look for things like broken pins, missing parts, ets. If you really want to know why this part is so important, read this thread. It's long, but perhaps relevant for your situation.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=139395&page=7

and resolved here;

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=157236&page=3

best of luck.

g