PDA

View Full Version : left handed 1911 mags?

sevensix2x51
06-21-2010, 9:21 PM
anybody in san diego know where to find them? a coworker of mine has been unable to locate any for his caspian. or a good online source would be helpful. is this a caspian only item? thanks y'all!

jaymz
06-21-2010, 9:37 PM
Lefty 1911 mags? Is that anything like a metric screwdriver? Or a round tuit?

sevensix2x51
06-21-2010, 9:40 PM
Lefty 1911 mags? Is that anything like a metric screwdriver? Or a round tuit?

not really, no.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168533745#PIC

Lazr111
06-21-2010, 9:49 PM
I think he was confused. Mag release maybe?

sevensix2x51
06-21-2010, 9:51 PM
no, the mag release is already on the right side. along with the slide stop. these two items require the magazine to be mirror-imaged.

hence, a left-handed magazine. think about it.

ojisan
06-21-2010, 9:52 PM
There have been a few "mirror-image" Left handed 1911s made over the years by various companies.
Some even had left handed rifling in the barrels so the gun twists into the left hand when firing, not out of it.

wamphyri13
06-21-2010, 9:52 PM
I think he was confused. Mag release maybe?

No, magazines. Since it's a left handed gun, standard mags won't work. The follower won't correctly hit the slide stop. Therefore, reversed mags.
Ryan

Cobrafreak
06-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Get standard magazines and use a dremel. Instant left handed magazines.

jaymz
06-22-2010, 6:30 AM
not really, no.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168533745#PIC

Learn something new everyday I guess.:o

MossbergMan
06-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Nice novelty item, but I'm left-handed and have absolultly no use for a left-handed handgun or rifle for that matter. Except for an ambi-safety on my 1911 and an adjustment in the manual of arms to accommodate using the "other hand" everything else works fine. Mag changes? I use my index (trigger finger) to operate the release. No chance of an ND there. I can see the ejection port making malfunction ID easy. Locking the slide back is admistrative and I just change hands.

AHA! you say, what about type 3 or failures to extract, have to change hands huh? Nope. Don't even lock the slide back. I use a wounded shooter technique and wah-la the mag is dislodged and I'm free to work the slide.

And no I don't know where to find left-handed magazines, muffler bearings, diesel spark plugs or unicorn saddles..sorry. Must be a Caspian only thing.

:shrug:

liketoshoot
06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Learn something new everyday I guess.:o

this.

Mute
06-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Good luck with that. That's an extremely uncommon item you're looking for.

jaymz
06-22-2010, 12:54 PM
And no I don't know where to find left-handed magazines, muffler bearings, diesel spark plugs or unicorn saddles..sorry. Must be a Caspian only thing.

Muffler bearing (http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10)

sevensix2x51
06-22-2010, 5:43 PM
Nice novelty item, but I'm left-handed and have absolultly no use for a left-handed handgun or rifle for that matter. Except for an ambi-safety on my 1911 and an adjustment in the manual of arms to accommodate using the "other hand" everything else works fine. Mag changes? I use my index (trigger finger) to operate the release. No chance of an ND there. I can see the ejection port making malfunction ID easy. Locking the slide back is admistrative and I just change hands.

AHA! you say, what about type 3 or failures to extract, have to change hands huh? Nope. Don't even lock the slide back. I use a wounded shooter technique and wah-la the mag is dislodged and I'm free to work the slide.

well, my friend DOES have use for the left-handed features on his handgun, and likes to shoot it. im not the guy to tell him hes doing it wrong.

sevensix2x51
06-22-2010, 5:45 PM
Get standard magazines and use a dremel. Instant left handed magazines.

i would think a dremeled magazine would have problems feeding reliably unless you get it exactly perfect, and then it would have a limited life, as heating the metal would likely soften it. one would also have to account for holding the slide open, or not. but i do like that feature as well... thanks for the helpful suggestion nevertheless!

Theriverjustknows
06-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Randall, Rocky Mountain Arms and I believe Safari Arms made a true lefty 1911 which also required the left handed magazines. I don't know if the mags are interchangeable between manufactureres but you could try looking under those names as well. I'm trying find a lefty 1911 itself not to mention extra mags.

-Kevin

AdamM
06-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Muffler bearing (http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10)

That website is full of win.

I need some piston return springs, I think mine are just about worn out.

Blood Ocean
06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
I actually sold muffler bearings to a woman once when I turned wrenches, I'll never forget her reaction "oh my gosh is that serious?", "Yes Ma'am, I can't let you drive out of here with faulty muffler bearings..."

railroader
06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Mecgar 1911 mags have followers that are ami and will work either way. Now the mag body would need to be reworked though. It would need the new mag catch cut and the upper front of the mag would need to be cut away for the slide stop. Here's a pic of an officers mag. Mark

http://www.topgunsupply.com/images/D/IMGP1245.JPG

sevensix2x51
06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Mecgar 1911 mags have followers that are ami and will work either way. Now the mag body would need to be reworked though. It would need the new mag catch cut and the upper front of the mag would need to be cut away for the slide stop. Here's a pic of an officers mag. Mark

very nice, that may be the next best thing... thanks for all the replies, folks!