PDA

View Full Version : Old school scope suggestions

pyro3k2
06-21-2010, 8:48 PM
My grandfather decided to passdown the one of the family rifles to me, a remington model 721 rifle made in the 1957 marked .244 remington. He mentioned that he always wanted to scope the rifle but never got around to it, I would like to mount one but would also like to keep the old school look to it. Any suggestion on nice old school scope worthy of going on family Heirloom?

-or-

Should I throw a modern hunting scope on it and have a new meets old look to it?

killshot44
06-21-2010, 9:11 PM
That is a handsome rifle. A little history:
Soon after the war ended Remington officials decided the time had come to introduce a totally new centerfire bolt gun, one designed from scratch in-house. It didnít take Mike Walker and his engineering staff long to do just that, and by 1948 a revolutionary new rifle was in production. Called the Models 721 and 722, the only difference between the two was the length of their actions. The action of the Model 721 was long enough to house cartridges as long as the .270 Winchester and .300 H&H Magnum; the Model 722 action was made shorter for short cartridges such as the .257 Roberts and .300 Savage, which were its first two chamberings. As thousands of big-game hunters and varmint shooters eventually discovered, Remingtonís new bolt-action rifle with its tubular receiver, button-rifled barrel, and three-rings-of-steel breeching design was more accurate than any other mass-produced centerfire rifle built by anyone. This held especially true for the Model 722 in .222 Remington, a combination used by thousands of riflemen back in those days to shoot the first sub-minute-of-angle group they had ever shot in their lives. On top of that it sold for less than $90.

Even though Remingtonís Model 721/722 rifle represented more accuracy for the dollar than any other rifle ever built and didnít cost a lot, its plain-Jane stock andstamped trigger guard made it a lot less sexy than Winchesterís Model 70 Featherweight.

Checking out the picture of it, I think a modern scope would look natural. The .244 Remington was renamed in 1963 as the 6mm Remington and that's what you'll feed it.. Sadly the Winchester .243 caliber killed the popularity of the 6mm but some still use it. Google is your friend for a lot of articles.

telcolineman
06-21-2010, 9:31 PM
I would recommend a redfield or weaver 4 power, Or something similar to keep the OS look

dfletcher
06-21-2010, 9:54 PM
If the gun is a 244 Remington (6mm Remington) it should be a 722 - just the short action version of the 721. Great gun and an excellent caliber, I think. I have a 6mm Remington (700 VLS) and a 721 (300 H & H) and like them both very much.

My 721 has a steel Weaver 3 to 9X and since the 6 Remington has some legs on it I think I'd go with something similar maybe even an adjustable objective- but any steel tubed Weaver will look at home on your gun. I use 2 piece Redfield mounts - dovetail front & windage rear. I think Weaver bases are also fine, but new aluminium ones sort of look very new, I think the steel turn in types look better.

Just a suggestion - buy your old scope "in person" because there can be slight defects (from age) in the glass, not seen in pictures or on line auctions.

Paradiddle
06-21-2010, 9:55 PM
I would recommend a redfield or weaver 4 power, Or something similar to keep the OS look

Winner.

pyro3k2
06-21-2010, 10:12 PM
If the gun is a 244 Remington (6mm Remington) it should be a 722 - just the short action version of the 721. Great gun and an excellent caliber, I think. I have a 6mm Remington (700 VLS) and a 721 (300 H & H) and like them both very much.

My 721 has a steel Weaver 3 to 9X and since the 6 Remington has some legs on it I think I'd go with something similar maybe even an adjustable objective- but any steel tubed Weaver will look at home on your gun. I use 2 piece Redfield mounts - dovetail front & windage rear. I think Weaver bases are also fine, but new aluminium ones sort of look very new, I think the steel turn in types look better.

Just a suggestion - buy your old scope "in person" because there can be slight defects (from age) in the glass, not seen in pictures or on line auctions.

I'll have to save this response some where and hit all the gun shows now. He also gave me some old school .244 ammo to go with it, It doesn't even have manf. markings on the brass

Mssr. Elegantť
06-21-2010, 10:27 PM
I vote for a Weaver K6...

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?5028-WTS-Vintage-Weaver-K-6-scope

bjl333
06-21-2010, 11:40 PM
If you want a nice scope for Grandpu's Remmy, look into the Leupold 100 anniversary scope. Its a 3-9X40, has classic looks and its a modern scope. They only made that scope in 2007. It should look real nice on the old gal ...

bjl333
06-21-2010, 11:48 PM
If you want a nice scope for Grandpu's Remmy, look into the Leupold 100 anniversary scope. Its a 3-9X40, has classic looks and its a modern scope. They only made that scope in 2007. It should look real nice on the old gal ...

If you wanna spend a little less money, then look into the Leupold VX-1 or Rifleman scopes.

bgoodman
06-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Lyman alaskans are pretty sweet as well.

Sunday
06-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Other than looking old style or adding to the "collectable " A scope is easily removed. I would buy a scope to match the ability of the rifle and shooter .