PDA

View Full Version : dros delay

gmanme
06-21-2010, 8:33 PM
I went to pick up a rifle today after waiting 10 days and the ffl gave me a delay letter from the doj. Called the number on the paper and the guy who seemed to know very little told me they were waiting to check the weather a conviction I had 3 years ago was a felony or not (it wasn't), and that it could take weeks to verify with the courthouse. Anyone else had anything like this? Is there any way to speed this up?

REH
06-21-2010, 8:47 PM
It is called a hold off sale. I have never seen one go beyond a 1 week delay. There is no way to speed up the process. Just make sure you are available if the DOJ needs more info.

gmanme
06-22-2010, 1:24 AM
Thanks, hopfully it wont be longer than a week since they have already had 10 days to make what "should" be a 5 min phone call.

dirtyJ
06-22-2010, 9:29 AM
The FFL didn't call you before you went in to get your gun? That's pretty lame dude. Whenever we get a delay or denial, we call the person within 24 hours and get them all the info so they can get a head start on fixing their problems. You can possibly help the DOJ in their glacial progress by getting all the related documents to your case and getting them to the DOJ pronto.

gmanme
06-22-2010, 10:50 AM
The delay came in late friday while the ffl were closed, I went to pick up on monday morning. I think ill try calling back doj, hopefully ill get someone who knows more than the last guy.

Flintlock Tom
06-22-2010, 11:45 AM
I had one held up for the same reason. When I called, the lady asked if it was a Felony or a Misdemeanor. I told her it was a misdemeanor and she told the gun shop to release the gun.

gmanme
06-22-2010, 1:55 PM
I was asked the same question when I called, told him it was a misdeamenor and he told me they need a copy of the court documents. Called the court house and they told me the record clerk is about 3 months behind. When did you get yours done Flintlock?

obpwankel
06-23-2010, 8:43 AM
My DROS got delayed! just now, i gave doj a called why was it delayed and they just said "we need to get more information, we'll let the dealer know". am i in trouble lol? has anyone waited more than 10 days? i was told that the most in a week.

Flintlock Tom
06-23-2010, 10:19 AM
I was asked the same question when I called, told him it was a misdeamenor and he told me they need a copy of the court documents. Called the court house and they told me the record clerk is about 3 months behind. When did you get yours done Flintlock?

Mine was 8 or 9 years ago. They're probably a little more uptight now.

When I got my 03 FFL about 4 years ago, the ATF said they needed a copy of the final determination in my case. I went down to the records department at the courthouse, checked out my file, made a copy of the final determination form and had the clerk certify it. Took about 30 minutes. The ATF issued the license without further comment.

gmanme
06-23-2010, 3:32 PM
I was told that if I go to the court and get a copy of the dispostion, I could fax it to them and have it finished, otherwise it could take a few weeks or longer. So now I have to decide to drive 4 hours to the courthouse or wait for my m4. :( The good part is I got a jury summons today and told them that the DOJ could determine if im a felon or not, so im unsure if I could serve on a jury, they told me I didn't have to go.

Im not doing jury duty until I get my rifle.