PDA

View Full Version : Travel to California

re083e2
04-03-2006, 11:30 PM
I am looking to travel into California later this summer. I have just purchased a M&P .40 (with 15 round mag). I would like to take my pistol with me to california on our trip. Because this gun is not on the list of approved handguns and because it is a "high capacity assualt weapon" (I can't help but laugh as I write that), can I not take it with me? What if I were to purchase some 10 rd mags just for the trip?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

blacklisted
04-03-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't believe that its status as an "unsafe handgun" matters, but you will not be able to bring the normal capacity magazines in.

bwiese
04-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Your S&W handgun is not an assault weapon, nor is there any worry about it not being on the approved list of handguns.

You just can't import the hicap magazine(s). So you're fine to bring the gun in, just get some 10rd factory replacement mags for the trip. [I'd stay away from aftermarket magazines.]

If you become a CA resident, you have 60 days to file a New Resident Handgun Ownership form (with $19/handgun fee) available on CA DOJ Firearms Division website.

If in CA you tired of this gun and wished to sell it, you could even arrange a papered private party transfer with the buyer at a CA FFL dealer, since these transfers of unapproved handguns are legal.

harley66
04-04-2006, 7:09 PM
You say you want to "bring" your gun to CA - I also travel alot and I have a CCW for CA, NV and UT - therefore I can "carry" in most states that I visist - However, before I travel in any state. I make sure I know of all the "rules" for that state. Bring you handgun, just find out the rules in CA before you get stopped by a LEO - each state has very different rules on this issue.

A nice little loop hole in CA law - if a person moves to CA, they can bring in and register any handgun (on CA list or not - as long as the weapon is NOT a AW - according to CA laws) then once the handgun is registered, they can sell it PPT to another person in Ca... so if you want a non listed handgun and know of someone moving to Ca >>>>

TheMan
04-04-2006, 7:25 PM
I am looking to travel into California later this summer. I have just purchased a M&P .40 (with 15 round mag). I would like to take my pistol with me to california on our trip. Because this gun is not on the list of approved handguns and because it is a "high capacity assualt weapon"

What makes in an assault weapon? Did you add a threaded barrel?