PDA

View Full Version : need range ammo info.....

d1eSELxxxx
06-21-2010, 6:06 PM
So I know that burro canyon shooting range is gonna start allowing only non steel jacketed ammo for ar's. I just need to know if i should just start using frangible ammo only when ever i go to burro(or any other shooting ranges)? Is there any other types of ammo that are not frangible, that are also not steel jacketed or use any steel in the slugs? I pretty much would like any suggestions on which type of ammo should I use for shooting ranges that will be ok without getting hassled by ranges or being restrickted from using at ranges that allow the shooter to bring their own ammo.

Or should I just use frangible just to be safe(or if only option). :chris:

tomd1584
06-21-2010, 6:22 PM
huh?

how about decent ammo like PMC bronze, Remington, WWB, lake city, Hornady.

There are literally tons of different ammo that are GTG, just not russian stuff. On the cheap you can buy Hornady TAP practice.

Anchors
06-21-2010, 7:04 PM
I thought hornady tap practice wasn't cheap anymore?
Someone said it's like .40/round now, and you can get good brass ammo for that.

Is there any non-magnetic ammo that's around .25/round?

(Not to thread hi-jack diesel, but similar topic.)

I think the PMC on sale right now at Palmetto is a good deal. But there has to be better.

tomd1584
06-21-2010, 7:19 PM
I thought hornady tap practice wasn't cheap anymore?
Someone said it's like .40/round now, and you can get good brass ammo for that.

Is there any non-magnetic ammo that's around .25/round?

(Not to thread hi-jack diesel, but similar topic.)

I think the PMC on sale right now at Palmetto is a good deal. But there has to be better.

I'm still buying TAP practice for $0.28/round.

reidnez
06-21-2010, 8:28 PM
I think you mean steel core, my friend. Steel-jacketed ammo would likely burn through barrels like no other :eek:

It is not hard to find "range-kosher" ammo, it's just going to cost a bit more. No need to switch to frangibles, you just need "non-ferrous" (non-magnetic), which means no steel case and no steel core. Most ranges simply take a random sample from your ammo and pass a magnet next to it. If it sticks, it's a no-go. Ammunition can be steel-cased without being steel-core, but the 'magnet test' still rules.

Most U.S.-made commercial ammo will pass. It is generally the milsurp stuff, and especially imported milsurp, that has some steel in it. PMC Bronze is usually the cheapest, non-magnetic ammo you can find. Reloading can save you lots of cash depending on what calibers you're shooting.

So I know that burro canyon shooting range is gonna start allowing only non steel jacketed ammo for ar's. I just need to know if i should just start using frangible ammo only when ever i go to burro(or any other shooting ranges)? Is there any other types of ammo that are not frangible, that are also not steel jacketed or use any steel in the slugs? I pretty much would like any suggestions on which type of ammo should I use for shooting ranges that will be ok without getting hassled by ranges or being restrickted from using at ranges that allow the shooter to bring their own ammo.

Or should I just use frangible just to be safe(or if only option). :chris:

Anchors
06-21-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm still buying TAP practice for $0.28/round.

where can you find it at that price?

d1eSELxxxx
06-23-2010, 9:20 PM
I think you mean steel core, my friend. Steel-jacketed ammo would likely burn through barrels like no other :eek:

It is not hard to find "range-kosher" ammo, it's just going to cost a bit more. No need to switch to frangibles, you just need "non-ferrous" (non-magnetic), which means no steel case and no steel core. Most ranges simply take a random sample from your ammo and pass a magnet next to it. If it sticks, it's a no-go. Ammunition can be steel-cased without being steel-core, but the 'magnet test' still rules.

Most U.S.-made commercial ammo will pass. It is generally the milsurp stuff, and especially imported milsurp, that has some steel in it. PMC Bronze is usually the cheapest, non-magnetic ammo you can find. Reloading can save you lots of cash depending on what calibers you're shooting.

my apologise:o haha. I did take your advice and bought 40rds of pmc bronze for $8.99/box of 20, at Turner's in Norwalk. The rounds were FMJ and thought that it would be bad for ranges but the guy did the magnet test and it didnt stick. Thanks for the info. Im still gonna buy more, just different types/brands to see what food my AR likes better. I think thats a good way to test your rifle with feeds. And I also wanna get some Wolf ammo to see how the steel casings are on my bolt. Cant wait for that test.

pheerLes
06-24-2010, 7:45 AM
where can you find it at that price?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/500rds-223-hornady-tap-training-55gr-fmj-ammo/cName/223-556-fmj-ammo

They are probably running low on stock. The 1000 round case is what I usually get for $0.27/round, but that's no longer available.

bjl333
06-24-2010, 8:00 AM
my apologise:o haha. I did take your advice and bought 40rds of pmc bronze for $8.99/box of 20, at Turner's in Norwalk. The rounds were FMJ and thought that it would be bad for ranges but the guy did the magnet test and it didnt stick. Thanks for the info. Im still gonna buy more, just different types/brands to see what food my AR likes better. I think thats a good way to test your rifle with feeds. And I also wanna get some Wolf ammo to see how the steel casings are on my bolt. Cant wait for that test.

The next gun show you can get the PMC for $285/1000 = $5.70/20.