PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Hut reverses gun rules (AZ)

gunsmith
06-21-2010, 5:42 PM
http://azstarnet.com/business/local/article_eac10bf7-363c-5acf-b899-dc012bfa04fe.html

The company that owns most of Southern Arizona's Pizza Huts has reversed policy and is allowing customers to carry firearms into the restaurants if they are legal possessors.

Patrick McKinney, vice president of operations for Tucson-based Pizza Hut of Arizona, said he began reconsidering the company's policy of prohibiting guns after reading a newspaper article about the state's new concealed-carry law.

That law, which goes into effect July 29, allows people 21 or older (and not prohibited from having a firearm) to carry a concealed gun without a permit.

McKinney and his staff held a meeting about the issue and began to remove the restaurants' signs banning firearms during the first week of June, he said in a written reply to questions.

The issue of customers with firearms is confronting private business owners as Arizona's gun laws become more liberal, and as gun-rights advocates press for public acceptance of carried firearms.

The issue may be particularly poignant in the case of Tucson Pizza Huts. In 1999, three employees of a Pizza Hut near the corner of East Broadway and Pantano roads were shot to death in an attempted robbery by two teens.

"We will never forget the tragedy of those murders in 1999 and what happened may have shaped our feelings about guns forever," McKinney wrote.

The new policy doesn't apply to employees, who won't be able to carry guns at work. "For safety reasons we have always had a 'no weapon' policy (while working) for all of us at Pizza Hut of Arizona," McKinney wrote.

The company has about 1,000 employees at restaurants in Southern Arizona, Yuma and Flagstaff.

Arizona law allows most adults over 21 to carry a firearm openly but has placed greater restrictions on carrying a gun concealed. Until the new law goes into effect, a person still must have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. The exceptions to these laws are prohibited possessors such as felons whose rights have not been restored, and visitors and students from other countries.

Alcohol adds an additional complexity to Arizona's gun laws and is relevant to Pizza Hut's decision in that many of the restaurants serve alcohol. Establishments that sell alcohol must permit the concealed carry of weapons by legal possessors unless they post a state-approved sign banning them. However, a person carrying a firearm may not drink alcohol while on the premises.

Contact reporter Tim Steller at tsteller@azstarnet.com or 807-8427.

thevic
06-21-2010, 5:47 PM
awesome now i can eat pizza and touch my handgun with greasy fingers

gunsmith
06-21-2010, 5:58 PM

you can use the napkins

sfwdiy
06-21-2010, 5:59 PM

Unpleasant mental image there, thank you.

Del Taco didn't mind my open-carrying in Flagstaff, and their food is better than Pizza Hut anyway.

--B

BroncoBob
06-21-2010, 6:08 PM
New franchise "Pizza and Guns"
:rofl2::rofl2:

gunsmith
06-21-2010, 6:22 PM
the more businesses friendly to carry the better

Window_Seat
06-21-2010, 6:26 PM
The new policy doesn't apply to employees, who won't be able to carry guns at work. "For safety reasons we have always had a 'no weapon' policy (while working) for all of us at Pizza Hut of Arizona," McKinney wrote.

So this means that the employees' safety are less important. It's as if to say "You have the go ahead to protect yourself as customers, but if you are my employee, you STILL aren't allowed to defend yourself when being shot at. Good luck with that wad of cash!!"

If employees were able to possess like they should, the 1999 incident would more than likely not have even happened.

Now that the armed thugs know which delivery drivers to target...

The issue may be particularly poignant in the case of Tucson Pizza Huts. In 1999, three employees of a Pizza Hut near the corner of East Broadway and Pantano roads were shot to death in an attempted robbery by two teens.

Erik; not impressed.

77bawls
06-21-2010, 7:17 PM
Sweet I just had Pizza Hut last night. Their wings are pretty good.

N6ATF
06-21-2010, 8:54 PM

Need to make a gun reverse diaper/disposable protective sleeve.

MP301
06-21-2010, 10:50 PM
I hope everyone takes the time to tell this guy how we appreciate his new and improved position on guns in his huts....

JDoe
06-21-2010, 10:53 PM
...as Arizona's gun laws become more liberal...

:confused:

N6ATF
06-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Liberal vs prohibitive, not liberal vs conservative.

Pavel
06-22-2010, 12:15 AM
So this means that the employees' safety are less important. It's as if to say "You have the go ahead to protect yourself as customers, but if you are my employee, you STILL aren't allowed to defend yourself when being shot at. Good luck with that wad of cash!!"

If employees were able to possess like they should, the 1999 incident would more than likely not have even happened.

Now that the armed thugs know which delivery drivers to target...

Erik; not impressed.

That pretty much sums it up. Anything to make a buck, in this case neglecting the safety of employees. Man, these guys suck...:eek:

N6ATF
06-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Neglect is one thing, intentional abuse is another. Employees should wear vests that say "you don't need to hurt or threaten me, just say please". Maybe then PH will reverse its policy, if all its cash gets stolen.

Untamed1972
06-22-2010, 6:51 AM
Unpleasant mental image there, thank you.

Del Taco didn't mind my open-carrying in Flagstaff, and their food is better than Pizza Hut anyway.

--B

I thought open carry in AZ resturants was illegal?

gunsmith
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I used to deliver pizza, official company policy was "no ccw even if you have a ccw"
I carried anyway, so did the other drivers.

Rem1492
06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
you dont want armed pizza guys, for their safety oddly.

If a perp knows that pizza man MAY be armed, he is likely just to SHOOT Mr Pizza to get that $20 and the cheesy sticks.

If the perp knows that ALL Pizza men are unarmed, he knows he is never in danger when robbing a pizza man, and therefore does not have to harm or kill the pizza guy to get the $20.

Therefore, probably saving the pizza guys life. And lowering insurance liability for lack of pizza defense shootouts. Like in all America, its your choice to work there or not.

Kinda like wearing a red cross arm badge in combat.

I want to start a business model of TAC-OPS pizza.
Uparmored HMMV and dudes with armor and rifles, to deliver a pizza to places that Pizza Hut wont drive to for safety/crime reasons. You know, the poor areas of town that don't tip and provide no real profit to a business?
My business model fails though once I consider delivering to Soccer mom neighborhoods, they don't like that uparmored thing or flashbangs with pepperoni :(

sfwdiy
06-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I thought open carry in AZ resturants was illegal?

Nope, in Arizona you can open carry damn near anywhere. I was all over Flagstaff for two days with my 1911 and no one even batted an eye.

--B

Untamed1972
06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Nope, in Arizona you can open carry damn near anywhere. I was all over Flagstaff for two days with my 1911 and no one even batted an eye.

--B

Unless this map at http://opencarry.org/restaurant.html is out of date then CC is required in resturants in AZ.

sfwdiy
06-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Unless this map at http://opencarry.org/restaurant.html is out of date then CC is required in resturants in AZ.

Looks out of date to me. Click on AZ and scroll down to the section "Places Off Limits."

--B

ETA: That map looks like it only applied to establishments that serve alcohol. From what I gathered you can open carry in a bar as long as you're not drinking and they don't ask you to leave or stow your firearm.

Dreaded Claymore
06-22-2010, 3:22 PM
The company that owns most of Southern Arizona's Pizza Huts has reversed policy and is allowing customers to carry firearms into the restaurants if they are legal possessors.

Patrick McKinney, vice president of operations for Tucson-based Pizza Hut of Arizona, said he began reconsidering the company's policy of prohibiting guns after reading a newspaper article about the state's new concealed-carry law.

"We will never forget the tragedy of those murders in 1999 and what happened may have shaped our feelings about guns forever," McKinney wrote.

What I've bolded above are things that we need to remember. Anti-gunners have thoughts and feelings about complex issues, just like us. They base their opinions on a combination of reasoning and emotion, just like us. Their emotions are shaped by their life experiences, just like us. Sometimes, after getting new information or listening to someone else's opinion, they change and revise their own opinions.

They don't think and act the way they do because they're evil and want to take away our rights. They do what they do because, based on what they know, they think they're doing the right thing. When they learn more, sometimes they change their stance. Exactly like us.

Anti-gunners aren't sheep, they're people just like us, and earnestly engaging them in dialogue about gun rights isn't a lost cause. Sometimes, it can change them from our enemies into our friends.

Full Clip
06-22-2010, 3:45 PM

Everybody knows CLP is just pizza grease. That's why it smells so delicious.

jaustin612
06-22-2010, 5:11 PM
God I love that state. I'm considering Requesting orders there.

I don't know if anyone else has been to it, but Scottsdale gun club is what my heaven would look like.

Anothercoilgun
06-22-2010, 8:53 PM
you dont want armed pizza guys, for their safety oddly.

If a perp knows that pizza man MAY be armed, he is likely just to SHOOT Mr Pizza to get that $20 and the cheesy sticks.

If the perp knows that ALL Pizza men are unarmed, he knows he is never in danger when robbing a pizza man, and therefore does not have to harm or kill the pizza guy to get the $20.

Therefore, probably saving the pizza guys life. And lowering insurance liability for lack of pizza defense shootouts. Like in all America, its your choice to work there or not.

Kinda like wearing a red cross arm badge in combat.

I want to start a business model of TAC-OPS pizza.
Uparmored HMMV and dudes with armor and rifles, to deliver a pizza to places that Pizza Hut wont drive to for safety/crime reasons. You know, the poor areas of town that don't tip and provide no real profit to a business?
My business model fails though once I consider delivering to Soccer mom neighborhoods, they don't like that uparmored thing or flashbangs with pepperoni :(

Please stop channeling Saldana. In a perfect world where of no such infringement pass a shall issue 0 cost CCW those in business of carrying cash should be those processed first.

audiophil2
06-22-2010, 9:07 PM
Good for Pizza Hut.

Walker
06-22-2010, 10:46 PM
New franchise "Pizza and Guns"
:rofl2::rofl2:

I can see it now when you order.

"Would you like a Glock with that?"

Arondos
06-23-2010, 12:34 AM
LOL I love this

"The company that owns most of Southern Arizona's Pizza Huts has reversed policy and is allowing customers to carry firearms into the restaurants if they are legal possessors.'

And if they are illegal possessors? Oh that's right bad guys would never break the rules...

Maestro Pistolero
06-23-2010, 6:26 AM
Oh that's right bad guys would never break the rules...Ni but you don't want to give them permission, either.

winnre
06-23-2010, 7:34 AM
So do gun stores allow pizza in them? That concern makes about as much sense.

yellowfin
06-23-2010, 7:37 AM
So Pizza Hut's stance is don't rob our customers, rob our employees instead.