PDA

View Full Version : Carp fishing

Grof
06-21-2010, 5:25 PM
went with friend to fish in south bay, what a great day,
we got 15 big carp this was bigest 22lb, it was action whole day.
carp is best fish that fights like crazy,
some people eat carp I just fish for fun, catch and let go again, fish is dumb in 3 second he will bait again :))

Cire 5th
06-21-2010, 7:52 PM
went with friend to fish in south bay, what a great day,
we got 15 big carp this was bigest 22lb, it was action whole day.
carp is best fish that fights like crazy,
some people eat carp I just fish for fun, catch and let go again, fish is dumb in 3 second he will bait again :))

If you don't mind me asking what was your setup - bait?

Have you ever fished Lake Solano? I know there is carp there jumping all over the place but I always seem to just go for trout which I never catch since they stopped stocking.

scotthmt
06-21-2010, 8:36 PM
Carp fight decently, Stripers fight a good deal harder. I'd say carp fight a bit harder than catfish

JaMail
06-21-2010, 8:44 PM
i dont know, the couple of seen at irvine look like pure muscle..

Grof
06-21-2010, 9:23 PM
If you don't mind me asking what was your setup - bait?

Have you ever fished Lake Solano? I know there is carp there jumping all over the place but I always seem to just go for trout which I never catch since they stopped stocking.

bait that I use always is French bread (safeway) brake bread from one end and take soft part inside like 1" square size. Make sure it is soft don't squash it , than just fold it in half over hook and squize only over hook, so when you throw it it will be in water like a snow flake and soon carp grab it will be on your hook, use nice size hook, and line test 30lb no less they are strong like a train.
where is Lake Solano never been there.
good luck post some picks,
make sure you have rod holder and stick it deep in ground or you will loose your rod saw it happened....

Grof
06-21-2010, 9:29 PM
Carp fight decently, Stripers fight a good deal harder. I'd say carp fight a bit harder than catfish

no , no , carp is strongest fighter, I fished stripers in delta and they are not close to carp, but they will bait anything like crazy. always action and mostly little baby less than 12"
this is how I feel it , try to get carp 20lb or more saw when they brake braided line test 40lb, but in lake there is some big, big fish, bigest carp was cought 35 lb last year.

Grof
06-21-2010, 9:30 PM
i dont know, the couple of seen at irvine look like pure muscle..

yup, it is like power lifter hella strong beast.

scotthmt
06-21-2010, 9:40 PM
eh' id say lb for lb stripers fight harder, a 20lb carp vs a 20lb striper? thats a no brainer, i have a pond that has a bunch of 8-15lb carps and i always play around and catch them on 2-6lb line, it never takes more than a few minutes to land them. They do fight decently but I honestly think stripers put up a better fight. YMMV IMHO

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-22-2010, 9:21 AM
make sure you have rod holder and stick it deep in ground or you will loose your rod saw it happened....

If you set your drag right, you should never have to worry about losing a pole :kest:

carp are fun to fish for, but stripers fight much harder than carp. You're just catching bigger carp, so they APPEAR fight more than the little stripers you're catching to compare to.

Bearclaw
06-22-2010, 9:26 AM
I don't know....I've caught plenty of striper, but I just barely caught my 1st carp about 2 weeks ago. I couldn't believe how hard he fought. I had 30# spiderwire and this guy almost spooled me twice. Had me chasing him along the shore so he wouldn't spool me. He even came out of the water a couple times and tried to shake the hook. Took me well over 5 minutes to land him. Gotta say I was actually impressed with how hard he fought!

mif_slim
06-22-2010, 9:30 AM
Freshwater fishing in CA I say nothing beats salmon and stergon..although stergon is like pulling in a log only so its not that fun.. Stipers give up too quickly. I fish at San Luis Res. and catch 22-28" all the time and I use 8lbs med-light action. At Paramid Lake I use the same setup. One time in Sacramento me and my friend caught 64 salmon in a 7 hour fishing trip...10 min per fish was a hard workout!

Bearclaw
06-22-2010, 9:37 AM
Yeah salmon is always fun. Never fished for sturgeon yet, but boy they taste good!

1911whore
06-22-2010, 9:40 AM
Ive always wanted to fish carp, ive heard they fight like heck. How do you set up the rod for carp? What bait is used?

professionalcoyotehunter
06-22-2010, 11:31 AM
great job. I have only bow hunted carp. I see them jump all day at the aqueduct but have never caught any?

s-s
06-22-2010, 12:41 PM
bait that I use always is French bread (safeway) brake bread from one end and take soft part inside like 1" square size. Make sure it is soft don't squash it , than just fold it in half over hook and squize only over hook, so when you throw it it will be in water like a snow flake and soon carp grab it will be on your hook, use nice size hook, and line test 30lb no less they are strong like a train.
where is Lake Solano never been there.
good luck post some picks,

I use bread smashed over the hook, no weight, loose drag.
15-20# carp on 6# line is super fun.

Grof
06-22-2010, 1:54 PM
If you set your drag right, you should never have to worry about losing a pole :kest:

carp are fun to fish for, but stripers fight much harder than carp. You're just catching bigger carp, so they APPEAR fight more than the little stripers you're catching to compare to.

right I have never got striper so big :)

scotthmt
06-22-2010, 6:19 PM
Carp do put up a pretty good fight, in my pond/creek i fish i use 2lb line and catch 6-12lb carp, it never takes me more than 10-15minutes to land them. I wouldnt say stripers fight MUCH harder, but i think they do fight harder lb for lb, also catfish fight about equal to carps lb for lb. I love catching sturgeon but havent got one in a while, been doing a lot of carp and striper fishing lately. Also stingrays.

Now if you're talking lb for lb fight, you go for stingrays, they FIGHT! REAL! HARD! There is a reason they're called mud marlins! because they are exactly that! they shoot off and pull otns of line! I hooked up with a 50+lber i saw it in the water so i threa my lure at it and hooked him, i was using 8lb lie plugging for stripers and he RANNNNNNN of faster than a bat outta hell!~! Took about 80 yards of line and the just SAT THERE, i kept pulling and pulling and was gaining a foot here foot there and he'd run off and just SIT again!, it felt like a freaking snag!! Finally i pulled a bit to hard the line went SNAP!! lost em. Stingrays are definately the BEST fighters lb for lb. Around here that is, although i've been to mexico and fished for tuna, dorado, rooster fish, sail fish, and have caught all those, i would say the 40lb tuna that we somehow hooked in the tail fought the hardest! it felt like a monster 150+lber

mif_slim
06-22-2010, 8:01 PM
^+1 on sting rays! We got some on a boat at the bay and thought it was great whites! Lol