PDA

View Full Version : Threaded barrel on a bolt action rifle...

thefitter
06-21-2010, 3:07 PM
is legal in California right? Not going to put a can on it just a flash hider.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

Also planning on dropping this in an Accuracy International Chassis system with a detachable magazine.

Since this is bolt and not semi-auto I'm good to go in California?

SJgunguy24
06-21-2010, 3:10 PM
Non issue even on a semi auto rifle. Pistols with threaded barrel is an AW as defined by CA law

thefitter
06-21-2010, 3:12 PM
Non issue even on a semi auto rifle. Pistols with threaded barrel is an AW as defined by CA law

Really? Then why does Springfield ship M1A rifles to CA with muzzle brakes that are pinned instead of threaded like their flash hiders?

ke6guj
06-21-2010, 3:17 PM
Really? Then why does Springfield ship M1A rifles to CA with muzzle brakes that are pinned instead of threaded like their flash hiders?

yes, really. threaded barrels are only regulated on semi-automatic pistols that have detachable magazines. ALL other firearms types may have threaded barrels without violating any laws (provided the barrel was not pinned to make minimum barrel length).

Regarding the M1A, AFAIK you are mistaken and that they are not pinned.

thefitter
06-21-2010, 3:20 PM
yes, really. threaded barrels are only regulated on semi-automatic pistols that have detachable magazines. ALL other firearms types may have threaded barrels without violating any laws (provided the barrel was not pinned to make minimum barrel length).

Regarding the M1A, AFAIK you are mistaken and that they are not pinned.

Thanks for the info I'll have to check it when it gets back from the shop. I had always heard/thought that they attached the CA muzzle brakes differently and you could not just remove them and install an OEM M1A flash hider.

Either way... good news on the new bolt gun I just ordered!!

SJgunguy24
06-21-2010, 3:23 PM
Thanks for the info I'll have to check it when it gets back from the shop. I had always heard/thought that they attached the CA muzzle brakes differently and you could not just remove them and install an OEM M1A flash hider.

Either way... good news on the new bolt gun I just ordered!!

The only reason why anything is pinned/welded to the muzzle is to get the barrel length over 16" for rifles, 18" for shotguns. If using an extention to get overall length it does not have to be permenently attached if the barrel is long enough.

Brakes and flash supressors are another thing altogether.

ke6guj
06-21-2010, 3:26 PM
I had always heard/thought that they attached the CA muzzle brakes differently and you could not just remove them and install an OEM M1A flash hider.
!

they might, but there is no legal requirement to do so. If they do, it sounds like they got FUD'ed.

thefitter
06-21-2010, 3:31 PM
The only reason why anything is pinned/welded to the muzzle is to get the barrel length over 16" for rifles, 18" for shotguns. If using an extention to get overall length it does not have to be permenently attached if the barrel is long enough.

Brakes and flash supressors are another thing altogether.

they might, but there is no legal requirement to do so. If they do, it sounds like they got FUD'ed.

Thanks for all the fast info!

bwiese
06-21-2010, 3:38 PM
I'm impressed, dudes!

Fast correct answers.

(Now some a**hat will come up with "what if i FOUND a threaded barrel?" question :( )

Mstrty
06-21-2010, 3:52 PM
I'm impressed, dudes!

Fast correct answers.

(Now some a**hat will come up with "what if i FOUND a threaded barrel?" question :( )

:D A little soda came out my nose. Alert:do not drink while reading Calguns.

SJgunguy24
06-21-2010, 4:08 PM
I'm impressed, dudes!

Fast correct answers.

Come on Bill......I gotta know this crap inside and out now;)

Daesu
06-21-2010, 5:42 PM
so what happens if i found a threaded barrel?

...just kidding :)

bwiese
06-21-2010, 5:57 PM
Come on Bill......I gotta know this crap inside and out now;)

I know, and you're a real stalwart here. Appreciate the help!