PDA

View Full Version : AR15 kit questions

Don29palms
06-21-2010, 1:53 PM
I would like to have an AR15. I see ads for complete kits without a stripped lower reciever. My question is if you buy a stripped lower reciever how much gunsmithing needs to be done? Is it just a matter of assembly or is there machining involved? I am a mechanic by trade and have built all sorts of cars and motorcycles but never a gun. Sounds like and interesting challenge but I would like to know what to expect so I don't make stupid and expensive mistakes.

Vtec44
06-21-2010, 1:55 PM
You will need some special tools to put together the upper receiver. The lower receiver parts are a simpler. I'm not a mechanic and I can put the whole thing together, so it shouldn't be hard for you with few instructions.

osis32
06-21-2010, 1:56 PM
its ridiculously simple. Ive done some for poops and giggles on my bed with just an old credit card. only time I needed to go to the garage was to set the bolt catch and trigger guard roll pins. I wouldnt worry at all and theres tons of how to vids online.
I would like to have an AR15. I see ads for complete kits without a stripped lower reciever. My question is if you buy a stripped lower reciever how much gunsmithing needs to be done? Is it just a matter of assembly or is there machining involved? I am a mechanic by trade and have built all sorts of cars and motorcycles but never a gun. Sounds like and interesting challenge but I would like to know what to expect so I don't make stupid and expensive mistakes.

osis32
06-21-2010, 2:01 PM
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-build-stripped-ar-15-rifle-lower-assembly-255593/

this is the link I used. very helpful.

Don29palms
06-21-2010, 2:17 PM
Thanks

norcal.xd
06-21-2010, 2:34 PM
ar-15.com has the steps to build a lower...you tube helps you so you can visually see what to do before and after.

Noobert
06-21-2010, 2:35 PM
The only thing I used to build was a hammer, a razor blade, a needle nose plier, electrical tape, and a 1/8'' rod that I dremeled into a bolt catch roll pin punch