PDA

View Full Version : If you colud have one Gun Law Abolished!

novabrian
06-21-2010, 2:11 PM
If you could have one of these thre Gun Laws Abolished what would it be?

squishyhead
06-21-2010, 2:12 PM
The 2nd Amendment. It seems to cause a lot of trouble for the other gun laws :eek:

gun toting monkeyboy
06-21-2010, 2:13 PM
1933 NFA

wkd4496
06-21-2010, 2:18 PM
Per the poll I'd have the capacity rule abolished. Get some 100 round beta c drums!

Window_Seat
06-21-2010, 2:20 PM
There was no option for repealing 12050 in its entirety. That is what should be given the most priority.

HST, this is a :dupe:. I'll look for the other one, and link it here.

Found it!

POLL: Law that you would change... (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=314156)

Erik.

Pointcrossed
06-21-2010, 2:28 PM
why choose, they are all unconstitutional.

N6ATF
06-21-2010, 9:48 PM
Qualified immunity, and whatever the law is that prevents Article III, Section 3 from being enforced to the fullest extent.

Cobrafreak
06-21-2010, 9:53 PM
They all need to go. No pick and choose. I want to be free.

Cali-Shooter
06-21-2010, 10:35 PM
novabrian, no offense, but this poll kind of sucks. One of these should be No more AW law. The best overall law to be abolished hypothetically is the magazine limit law (according to the options on this poll).

Pavel
06-22-2010, 1:45 AM
Your first two choices fall under the same Law(s); The CA Assault Weapons Ban. Without this B.S. we would only have minor annoyances such as the 10-day wait or the "nanny list" in which you are not procluded from owning, you just cannot buy new from your FFL. The logical answer is all of the above, and this will be the intent after the Mcdonald vs. Chicago verdict is in. We go after the state of CA in full force for their treasonous acts against their citizens. Can't wait to see the day.

Cali-Shooter
06-22-2010, 2:22 AM
Oh yeah, don't forget the dreaded CA Handgun List. It never ends, we can think up loony CA gun laws that actually exist here all day long.

Serpentine
06-22-2010, 8:11 AM
I would add the "One handgun per 30 days" to this poll.

joedogboy
06-22-2010, 8:22 AM
Roos-Roberti and all of its offspring.

Exile Machine
06-22-2010, 8:56 AM
May Issue CCW wasn't on the poll. As a frequent visitor into the state, Shall Issue would be my choice, along with generous reciprocity with the other shall issue states.

As to the first two choices... You already don't "need" a Mag lock or bullet button. You already have no limit on the number of rounds you can own/use in a magazine. CA law allows for a detachable magazine "Featureless" centerfire rifle that can legally accept large capacity mags or drums dropped by a finger press, not a tool.

stag1500
06-22-2010, 9:42 AM
Although not part of the poll, I would love to have the Hughes Amendment (1986 Machinegun Ban) repealed so we can all purchase machineguns at a reasonable price.

Ed_in_Sac
06-22-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't know if you can call it "one gun law", but the idea that States and local communities can have additional gun restrictions does not seem right. The Fed's claim States like Montana can not supersede federal laws on the manufacture of firearms. So it is illogical that States and local communities can have the right to add additional restriction to the federal firearms laws already in place. ie:

JMO

Vacaville
06-22-2010, 10:07 AM
1933 NFA

+1000

berto
06-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Of the listed options mag capacity.

FatalKitty
06-22-2010, 10:09 AM
10 day wait... we have the technology - it can be done.

I don't care about mag capacity or BB.. cause i'm not an AR fanatic - and so far

jaymz
06-22-2010, 10:17 AM
10 day wait. It isn't illegal to posses or use high cap mags and mag locks are a pita, but not unbearable.

cvc04
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
My choice. All of the above.

jdberger
06-22-2010, 10:36 AM
GCA 68.

;)

(or at least the State residency requirements)

Super Spy
06-22-2010, 10:43 AM
I'd kill the CA AWB......that would mean all sorts of real AR's and AK's :)

CharlieK
06-22-2010, 11:09 AM
1933 NFA

That's the one!

Dr Rockso
06-22-2010, 11:45 AM
That's the one!
It is if you mean the 1934 NFA.

choprzrul
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
There are a couple of items that, considering the bigger picture, I would have liked to see in the poll:

1. 1968 GCA
2. 1934 NFA
3. United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 (1939)

Granted, #3 isn't a law, but rather a SCOTUS decision. But I look at #3 as the foundation upon which most or all of our gun control laws are based. Given Heller, and presumptively McDonald, it would seem Miller is being vacated by the court since Miller is based upon the position that 2A applies to a militia.

Just my personal point of view.

Dr Rockso
06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Granted, #3 isn't a law, but rather a SCOTUS decision. But I look at #3 as the foundation upon which most or all of our gun control laws are based. Given Heller, and presumptively McDonald, it would seem Miller is being vacated by the court since Miller is based upon the position that 2A applies to a militia.

That's how it was debated for decades, but really Miller didn't directly address the individual right vs collective (militia) right issue. Neither Miller nor Layton were a part of any militia, the only thing that the court addressed was the SBS's perceived lack of suitability as a military weapon.

goodlookin1
06-22-2010, 12:07 PM
1934 NFA and move to a free state :D

joedogboy
06-22-2010, 3:00 PM
That's how it was debated for decades, but really Miller didn't directly address the individual right vs collective (militia) right issue. Neither Miller nor Layton were a part of any militia, the only thing that the court addressed was the SBS's perceived lack of suitability as a military weapon.

Because Miller basically stated that weapons without military/militia application do not have as much protection under the 2A, it seems like it should actually be cited as precedent in favor of overturning "AW" bans.

California's "AW" bans have specifically targeted firearms that have the most resemblance (physical and practical) with actual military firearms, and that use parts and ammunition that re interchangeable with military arms - things that make them the most suitable firearms for citizens to use in their capacity as an unorganized "militia", either serving independently, or in conjunction with the active duty and reserve components of the armed forces.

Flash suppressor - useful for militia.
Bayonet lug - useful for militia.
High Cap magazine - useful for militia.
Detachable magazine - useful for militia.
Ability to accept standard GI M-16/M-4 mags, ammo, and spare parts - useful for militia.

The unfortunate side effect of such a legal challenge to the patently unconstitutional "AW" bans is that it could then be used as an argument in favor of banning all firearms that are not in military calibers or military-type configurations.

grammaton76
06-22-2010, 3:18 PM
I would ask the magic genie to do away with mag locks.

You can always buy your large capacity magazines from an armored car company. ;)

Maestro Pistolero
06-22-2010, 4:32 PM
How about the one that says I can't carry a gun in CA? That's the only one that matters.

curtisfong
06-22-2010, 4:43 PM
You can always buy your large capacity magazines from an armored car company.

Know any with an online shop? :D

Ding126
06-22-2010, 4:49 PM
I don't like these polls because there is never just one to pick.

It also brings to light on how much this state has taken advantage of our rights.

They've dismissed our constitutional rights and spat on us. This is still happening today...laws passed by emotion and not common sense or facts.

Malthusian
06-22-2010, 5:09 PM
I abhor the roster

Lets just start from Scratch. Standard Federal 4473 form. Ability to buy guns in any state and bring them back to our home state. Lets limit interstate FTF purchases to 1 in 30 days, no wait, cash and carry with COE. Still have background checks. Still have FFL's for shipping guns. 03 FFL with COE in state cash and carry. No 1 in 30. CCW shall issue with 8 hour defensive training class. No interview, no buddy system. Class certification, COE, application, issue. Loss of COE, loss of permit. Roster, what roster, old news. Same with DROS.. bye bye.

10 day wait, not really a big deal except for FTF in State transfers over long distance, hence 03FFL + COE exemption.
Opps without DROS this wouldn't be an issue. OK I need to refer to committee on person to person transfers.

My main concern is handguns. So I would volunteer to be on the handgun committee to revise the state of decay.

I leave the minutia of detail to the AR guys for AW revisions.

Because Miller basically stated that weapons without military/militia application do not have as much protection under the 2A, it seems like it should actually be cited as precedent in favor of overturning "AW" bans.

California's "AW" bans have specifically targeted firearms that have the most resemblance (physical and practical) with actual military firearms, and that use parts and ammunition that re interchangeable with military arms - things that make them the most suitable firearms for citizens to use in their capacity as an unorganized "militia", either serving independently, or in conjunction with the active duty and reserve components of the armed forces.

Flash suppressor - useful for militia.
Bayonet lug - useful for militia.
High Cap magazine - useful for militia.
Detachable magazine - useful for militia.
Ability to accept standard GI M-16/M-4 mags, ammo, and spare parts - useful for militia.

The unfortunate side effect of such a legal challenge to the patently unconstitutional "AW" bans is that it could then be used as an argument in favor of banning all firearms that are not in military calibers or military-type configurations.

+1 Excellent

NorCal MedTac
06-23-2010, 7:43 AM
1933 NFA

+1. Its a house of cards from then on.

FatalKitty
06-23-2010, 9:45 AM

I wonder if they considered the remington 870 MCS system
indeed configured as a breaching or QCB weapon that obviously needs to be short.

Dr Rockso
06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
I wonder if they considered the remington 870 MCS system
indeed configured as a breaching or QCB weapon that obviously needs to be short.

I don't think those existed in 1939 ;)

And the other thing to remember is that there was nobody to argue the other side of the case to SCOTUS at the time. Neither Miller nor his attorney went to Washington or even submitted a brief...the solicitor general got to say whatever he wanted without rebuttal. By the time the court issued its opinion Miller had been dead for a month.

oso grande
06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah, don't forget the dreaded CA Handgun List. It never ends, we can think up loony CA gun laws that actually exist here all day long.

+1 for the list.
How can a handgun be deemed safe for a year and, because the manufacturer did not pay the ransom, become unsafe?

OG

John Sukey
06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
How about getting to the root of the matter. Abolish the leftist dimocrats and their Rino buddies.!

grammaton76
06-23-2010, 2:50 PM
Know any with an online shop? :D

Not at present. However, at present it would be very easy to get the legislature to amend the law if one were to start selling online.

...this will probably become significantly harder to do post-Macdonald, although the need for an armored car company middleman would probably be short-lived anyway.

Ford8N
06-23-2010, 5:18 PM
922(r)

Cheap kits FTW!