PDA

View Full Version : 18 years old with glock 22

safewaysecurity
06-21-2010, 12:39 PM
So I was thinking of getting a glock 22. Only problem is I'm 18. I heard though a parent or sibling or other close relatives can legally transfer a handgun to an individual 18 year or older. Is this true? If not is there any other way for an 18 year old to legally possess a handgun in cali?

luckystrike
06-21-2010, 12:47 PM
yes. parents or grand parents, even a friend can loan you one just as long as its really your friend and for a period of no more than 30 days.
check with DOJ also

safewaysecurity
06-21-2010, 12:49 PM
So no permanent transfers?

glock21fan
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM
also inter family transfer...your mother or father can give you one at 18 and you complete the doj form and it will be registered in your name..you just cant purchase one through a ffl...Ive had mine since 19 when i started doing security since you can get a exposed weapons permit (for security) at age 18...good luck !

SLYoteBoy
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM
I think you have to have a HSC to have over 3 or 5 days (borrowing) , cant remember for sure.

garrett916
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
ya your parent cant tranfer it to you and it will be regestered to you

safewaysecurity
06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Cool thanks. Also does anyone have a link to the full open carry debate up in Lafayette?

luckystrike
06-21-2010, 12:58 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/

go to "operation of law" , print and send a check for 19$ to DOJ and then wait 2 weeks.

and yes you need an HSC, but thats the hard part, some gunshops will be like "oh your not 21 so we are not giving you one"

SLYoteBoy
06-21-2010, 1:18 PM
Thats what I was figuring. FFL's would shy away because your not 21 , but tell them you need it for a intra-familial transfer.

glock21fan
06-21-2010, 1:28 PM
turners gave me mine at 18...but if hes in security (assuming so cause of his name) if he has a firearm permit for work its a HSC exemption..

Millions-Knives
06-21-2010, 1:28 PM
Don't forget the age requirement for your ammo as well.

usmc7
06-21-2010, 1:34 PM
Yes this is absolutely true. When I was 18, my father transferred a 92fs to me. I had to get an HSC, and I had a real hard time of convincing a gun store owner to to let me take the test. I filed the transfer form, paid my 19 bucks, and got a nice little paper in the mail with the DOJ seal on it saying that the handgun was now registered to me.

Blood Ocean
06-21-2010, 2:17 PM
Here's how this works:

1) Mom you should go get ______ for yourself
2) Hey son, I bought this _____ and I really don't like it, would you like it?
3) http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf
4) $19 to CA DOj
5) you are the legal 18 year old owner of _______

CA can be a fun place to live.

Dead*Reckoned
06-21-2010, 2:23 PM
Why aren't inter-sibling transfers allowed? To me it just seems stupid if a sibling can transfer to his parent, and then back down to his or her brother or sister, but then again what CA gun laws are stupid....:kest:

Turo
06-21-2010, 2:26 PM
Why aren't inter-sibling transfers allowed? To me it just seems stupid if a sibling can transfer to his parent, and then back down to his or her brother or sister, but then again what CA gun laws are stupid....:kest:

But then how would the state get their well deserved $19 of our hard earned money?:rolleyes:

CSDGuy
06-21-2010, 2:35 PM
Yes, you can be a legal handgun owner of a pistol at age 18. You just can't purchase your own ammunition for it...

ke6guj
06-21-2010, 2:41 PM
Here's how this works:

1) Mom you should go get ______ for yourself
2) Hey son, I bought this _____ and I really don't like it, would you like it?
3) http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf
4) $19 to CA DOj
5) you are the legal 18 year old owner of _______

CA can be a fun place to live.

don't even need to do #1. Mom can buy the handgun with the intent of giving it her son. it is legal to buy a firearm even if you are intending on giving it away. that is not a straw purchase unless the recipient is prohibited from owning firearms.

safewaysecurity
06-21-2010, 3:05 PM
I'm not in security it's just a name I use for CSS lol. Just a normal 18 year old kid.

rojocorsa
06-21-2010, 3:06 PM
So "straw" only counts if and only if you can't legally have guns?

Blood Ocean
06-21-2010, 3:06 PM
Good to know; I wasn't sure if it was but I knew that if it was and I didn't state as such it was going to ruffle feathers, some CG'ers have thin-skin.

glock21fan
06-21-2010, 3:08 PM
lol..then go to turners and get your hsc...they most likely wont even ask and if they do say your mother is requiring it before you are allowed to shoot? idk ....i think youll be fine...another thing on the intrfam transfer is that step parent to child is a no go...just fyi

safewaysecurity
06-21-2010, 3:17 PM
Now the problem is getting the parents to buy it first... I'm prolly getting an ar-15 in a few days though. Should I build one myself or just buy one fully assembled? Is it generally cheaper to buy it fully assembled?

tacticalcity
06-21-2010, 3:25 PM
I think he's making fun of the Safeway security guards, with good cause. I've got a story from my youth about those guys, that made his username extra-ammusing for me.

While shopping for a bachelor party 10 years or so ago four of Safeway's finest for whatever reason got a bad vibe from a friend of ours. Ironically enough this friend was a manager at the time of a Safeway in our hometown half a state away, and unfortunately for them a semi-professional MMA fighter. They damn near jumped him outside in the parking lot. Choosing to get physical first and ask questions later proved to be very foolish. If they had used their words they would not have gotten hurt. One member of our party was off duty law enforcement, several were active duty and former military, all were former jocks and capable of holding their own. We outnumberd them 2-1. Needless to say those knucklehead security guards need to learn how to be more aware of their surroundings. They thought he was alone and had know idea we were all right behind them. It went very badly for them, and would have gone a lot worse if they had not eventually announced they were store security and were able to prove it. From our perspective all we saw was a friend getting jumped, and we reacted accordingly. At the end of the day no one was seriously injured, no one pressed charges, and our buddy chose to just let them off the hook with a warning rather then get them fired. It could have easily gone a lot worse.

In any case, sounds like the question got answered in his favor. Enjoy the Glock! Great guns.

tacticalcity
06-21-2010, 3:33 PM
I am not sure why, but there was a post last week that said stripped lowers require you to be 21, but a complete rifle you can be 18. Made ZERO sense to me since a stripped lower is a long gun, maybe one of the legal experts can explain it. Then again maybe it was complete FUD. All I know is there were a lot of senior members saying you have to be 21 for a stripped lower. Since I'm in my late 30s I did not pay a lot of attention to their reasoning.

SJgunguy24
06-21-2010, 3:37 PM
yes. parents or grand parents, even a friend can loan you one just as long as its really your friend and for a period of no more than 30 days.
check with DOJ also

Do I need a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) if I am receiving a handgun from my mother or father?
Yes. Prior to taking possession of the handgun, you must havea valid Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC). You must also report the transfer to DOJ, pursuant to Penal Code section 12078(c)(2)(A), within 30 days of the transfer. You may obtain Form FD4544A [PDF 28 kb / 2 pg] for this purpose on this website.

lol..then go to turners and get your hsc...they most likely wont even ask and if they do say your mother is requiring it before you are allowed to shoot? idk ....i think youll be fine...another thing on the intrfam transfer is that step parent to child is a no go...just fyi

15.Is a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) required when a handgun is being loaned?
It depends on the specific circumstances. Generally, a person being loaned a handgun must have a current Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC). However, an HSC is not required when the loan does not exceed three days in duration and the person loaning the handgun is at all times within the presence of the person being loaned the handgun

Now the problem is getting the parents to buy it first... I'm prolly getting an ar-15 in a few days though. Should I build one myself or just buy one fully assembled? Is it generally cheaper to buy it fully assembled?

In bold are direct quotes from the DOJ FAQ HSC guide.
Now you will not be able to assemble an AR type rifle. You must be 21 to buy a stripped lower. Per BATFE ruling.

SJgunguy24
06-21-2010, 3:40 PM
I am not sure why, but there was a post last week that said stripped lowers require you to be 21, but a complete rifle you can be 18. Made ZERO sense to me since a stripped lower is a long gun, maybe one of the legal experts can explain it. Then again maybe it was complete FUD. All I know is there were a lot of senior members saying you have to be 21 for a stripped lower. Since I'm in my late 30s I did not pay a lot of attention to their reasoning.

True, you must be 21 to buy a stripped lower. The reason IIRC is the 4473 has "other" for the firearm type and that the lower can be built into a pistol. Do a search there is a thread somewhere about that. I'm sure Jack will come up with the link here in a minute.

ke6guj
06-21-2010, 3:57 PM
I am not sure why, but there was a post last week that said stripped lowers require you to be 21, but a complete rifle you can be 18. Made ZERO sense to me since a stripped lower is a long gun, maybe one of the legal experts can explain it. Then again maybe it was complete FUD. All I know is there were a lot of senior members saying you have to be 21 for a stripped lower. Since I'm in my late 30s I did not pay a lot of attention to their reasoning.as mentioend before, a stripped lower IS NOT a rifle so it does not qualify for the exemption for 18-20-year-olds to buy rifles and shotguns. The fact that, for the most part, a stripped lower can only be built into a rifle or shotgun in CA doesn't matter federally.

ke6guj
06-21-2010, 3:59 PM
I'm sure Jack will come up with the link here in a minute.
here you go:D

Licensees are reminded that firearm frames, receivers, and
other firearms that are neither handguns nor long guns
(rifles or shotguns) are considered “Other Firearms.” They
cannot be sold or delivered by a licensee to any person under
21 years of age. Additionally, 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3) states that
a licensee shall not sell or deliver any firearm other than a
shotgun or rifle to any person who does not reside in the
State in which the licensee’s place of business or activity is located;
this restriction includes handguns, pistol grip firearms
utilizing shotgun ammunition, and frames and receivers.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2009-11.pdf

edit: and it is covered in the instructions for the 4473, http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf , as well.

Linburger
06-21-2010, 6:14 PM
Can an under 21 year old also build a pistol? For example an 80% 1911 build.

SJgunguy24
06-21-2010, 6:18 PM

Good question. Not 100% sure but since there is no FFL transfers involved and if your in possession of an HSC and it's properly registered I couldn't see why not.

ke6guj
06-21-2010, 6:33 PM

no law that I know of would prohibit it.

remyjoeboxer
06-21-2010, 8:10 PM
you'll be fine

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-21-2010, 10:08 PM
also inter family transfer...your mother or father can give you one at 18 and you complete the doj form and it will be registered in your name..you just cant purchase one through a ffl...Ive had mine since 19 when i started doing security since you can get a exposed weapons permit (for security) at age 18...good luck !

Thats what my friend did. his father bought the handgun than transfered it to my buddy.

Quiet
06-22-2010, 2:38 AM
Penal Code 12078
(c)(1) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent transfer of a firearm that is not a handgun by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means by one individual to another if both individuals are members of the same immediate family.
(2) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent transfer of a handgun by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means by one individual to another if both individuals are members of the same immediate family and all of the following conditions are met:
(A) The person to whom the firearm is transferred shall, within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm, forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The report forms that individuals complete pursuant to this paragraph shall be provided to them by the Department of Justice.
(B) The person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a basic firearms safety certificate. If taking possession on or after January 1, 2003, the person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a handgun safety certificate.
(C) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.
(3) As used in this subdivision, "immediate family member" means any one of the following relationships:
(A) Parent and child.
(B) Grandparent and grandchild.