PDA

View Full Version : youngster carrying shotgun or pistol

jimh
06-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Hello all,

I am trying to confirm youths (no age minimums, could be a 2 year old)carrying. Here is how I see it, please confirm or correct:

LOC (both pistol & long gun) legal in national forest as long as they are with a parent. No need to be hunting.

UOC is legal in national parks in CA as long as they are with a parent.

LOC is legal in national parks outside of CA (that allow LOC) as long as they are with a parent.

Basically, there is no difference between youth gun laws and adults as long as they are with a parent correct?

Finally, what if they get lost (while being armed) on a camping trip, etc.

Thanks for the input.

strangerdude
06-21-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't know jack about the laws but there are a few National Forests that won't even allow possession of firearms, I really don't see the need to arm a kid just give him a bow and arrow.

BKinzey
06-21-2010, 12:49 PM
At some point giving a loaded gun to a child to LOC is child endangerment. I don't know exactly when that is but I'm sure 2 is too young.

jimh
06-21-2010, 1:07 PM
clearly 2 years old would be too young from a safety point, it was just an example that no age requirements exist.

I'm focused on what the law says... I know whats safe and what is not.

gun toting monkeyboy
06-21-2010, 2:29 PM
I don't know jack about the laws but there are a few National Forests that won't even allow possession of firearms, I really don't see the need to arm a kid just give him a bow and arrow.

I think you mean National Parks, not National Forests. And I believe even that information is out of date. National Forests may occasionally be closed to shooting for safety reasons (like fire season here in So Cal.), but carrying a firearm in them legally has never really been an issue.