PDA

View Full Version : Lakers victory! Not sports related

CCWFacts
06-21-2010, 9:21 AM
Not sure if this has been posted here:

CMdi-lOqDv

If the embed doesn't work (http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/21/raging-sports-fans-d.html)

You can be sure that doesn't happen to taxis in Texas.

This video doesn't show what happened to the driver and passenger. They must have escaped. It must have been absolutely terrifying.

I'm not sure exactly what would be the right thing to do (legally) with a CCW in a "car attacked by crowd" situation, something which seems like it can occur every time there's a riot here in LA. Imagine the driver stayed in the vehicle and the crowd is around them. People pounding on the car are obviously scary and dangerous, but any individual pounding on the hood or a window or whatever is not creating an imminent threat of death or great bodily harm, and therefore couldn't be shot by the car occupants. If someone actually smashed through a window and started grabbing, that would cross the line for me, and I would feel justified in shooting that particular person. I guess I could also try driving at a walking pace; the crowd must part.

It seems like a terrifying type of situation.

shadowofnight
06-21-2010, 9:31 AM
Simple, put car in drive ... press accelerator.

How anybody would allow a crowd to break a window or force a car door open , much less roll the damn thing over is beyond me.

VW*Mike
06-21-2010, 9:34 AM
If the cab owner shot and killed a few of them, that would probably have put an end to **** like this for a while. What happens today should be interesting as well. Thats what happens when your fan base is 90% from the ghetto. 16 championships and 15 riots says plenty.

gtturborex
06-21-2010, 9:41 AM
These guys are idiots. It took him like 3min to light the rag on fire. Guess he doesnt know how to use a lighter. Also you know those pics of those guys posing in front of and on the hood of the burning car are gonna end up on facebook somewhere and they will be caught...

Untamed1972
06-21-2010, 9:58 AM
Looks like they need to outlaw the NBA as it's a threat to public safety.

goodlookin1
06-21-2010, 10:21 AM
This was not rioting.....

It was an enthusiastic expression manifested in the assembly of a diverse but like-minded populace. Their ecstasy took form in jovial celebration, where people from various cultural backgrounds found a common avenue of mutual understanding and tolerance, transcending the social stigma of interracial congregation.

;)

Gio
06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Paging Todd, Re:Todd ;) What a bunch of morons :(

Window_Seat
06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I might get into trouble for saying this (and usually do). The Govt should (but never will) issue letters of marque (for this purpose, I know what they were originally used for) to citizens who would be willing to take these thugs out in the way that Detective Tuason suggested to OCers. This is the only way to eradicate and exterminate these gang banging criminal thugs. Throwing them in jail for 2 days is no longer an option. they're tyrants, and the Framers talked about tyrants in the beginning, and what should be done about those tyrants, and that term doesn't just apply to Government.

Erik.

Mountain_Man
06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Riot with looting?
Check.
Fear of great bodily harm?
Check.
Sounds like use of deadly force would be perfectly acceptable.

xLusi0n
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
And they wonder why they can't get the rich people to move from the west side to downtown.

CalNRA
06-21-2010, 1:10 PM
And they wonder why they can't get the rich people to move from the west side to downtown.

racism, obviously.

Stupendous_Man
06-21-2010, 7:46 PM
I was JUST thinking about this exact situation and talking it over with my gf, since we were in LA during the finals and we were wondering what would happen if the Lakers lost (or won apparently).

What pisses me off to no end is how to government can expect me to give up my right to defend myself, and yet not take care of those they've left defensless. What I mean is if they are going to tell us we don't have the right to defend ourselves with weapons in our cars, they are also telling us to trust that THEY will protect us in our cars when we're attacked.

Scratch705
06-21-2010, 11:53 PM
would have gunned the car. and would have slept nicely that night knowing that i took out some scum and made the world just slightly better.

CalNRA
06-22-2010, 12:07 AM
notice there are police cars with their red-and-blue lights on just 50 yards away.

The LAPD is NOT ready for the Oscar Grant riots.

turbogg
06-22-2010, 12:13 AM
LA riots are to be expected for almost any reason. Our team won = riot!! Our team lost = riot!! Our team had lunch = riot!! Wind blowing = (you guessed it) riot!!!

Stupendous_Man
06-22-2010, 4:29 PM
notice there are police cars with their red-and-blue lights on just 50 yards away.

Good point, I was in Berkeley during all that and it was pretty stupid/alarming how Oakland riots about almost anything. During the UC tuition increase riots, most of the rioters didn't even seem like UC Berkeley students.

For fun, here's an article about the carnage: http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-01-08/news/17195522_1_bart-police-police-officer-demonstrators/2

What lengths are you allowed to take to defend yourself against rioters? Police obviously have to sit there and take it while their cars are destroyed and rocks are thrown at them, but at least they have tear gas and shields. Are we allowed to bear or use arms to defend property, or do we pretty much have to pray our insurance will cover the damage?

hill billy
06-22-2010, 4:55 PM
I might get into trouble for saying this (and usually do). The Govt should (but never will) issue letters of marque (for this purpose, I know what they were originally used for) to citizens who would be willing to take these thugs out in the way that Detective Tuason suggested to OCers. This is the only way to eradicate and exterminate these gang banging criminal thugs. Throwing them in jail for 2 days is no longer an option. they're tyrants, and the Framers talked about tyrants in the beginning, and what should be done about those tyrants, and that term doesn't just apply to Government.

Erik.
*shrug*, I agree. Wouldn't have broken my heart to see a few of them put down.

CCWFacts
06-22-2010, 5:33 PM

They don't care. They're in some "Lord of the Flies" mode.

No they aren't, and I think there's about a 60% chance of the shooter being "not guilty", because I think the prosecutor made a mistake in bringing murder charges. It might go over quietly, or it might not, depending on a whole bunch of unpredictable factors.

CalNRA
06-22-2010, 5:43 PM
No they aren't, and I think there's about a 60% chance of the shooter being "not guilty", because I think the prosecutor made a mistake in bringing murder charges.

I'm guessing more than 85%.

No one in their right mind other than a jury full of activists would convict the guy.

CCWFacts
06-22-2010, 5:55 PM
No one in their right mind other than a jury full of activists would convict the guy.

I agree. Murder requires malice, and he was not acting out of malice. He had a "brain fart" really. "Brain fart with gun" is not murder. I think it would fit best as manslaughter, but not murder.

hill billy
06-22-2010, 7:48 PM
I agree. Murder requires malice, and he was not acting out of malice. He had a "brain fart" really. "Brain fart with gun" is not murder. I think it would fit best as manslaughter, but not murder.

This is where I see it going as well. They left themselves no wiggle room and the defense attorney knows this.

CCWFacts
06-22-2010, 7:59 PM
This is where I see it going as well. They left themselves no wiggle room and the defense attorney knows this.

IANAL so I don't really know how it works... but could they have somehow offered the jury both charges (murder and manslaughter) and let the jury choose? If they bet all their chips on murder, that's a really dumb bet because they need to prove malice aforethought, or an "abandoned and malignant heart" (completely reckless disregard for human life). There's no way either of those fit. If that's what they based their prosecution on, and that's the only charge the jury can consider, he is going to walk out of there a free man, and that may inspire some "warm" evenings in Oakland and LA.

Manslaughter does seem to fit, in my not-a-lawyer limited understanding of it. It seems like there are quite a few different categories of manslaughter so I don't know which one fits, but overall it seems like the right category. According to Wikipedia, manslaughter is "a legal term for the killing of a human being, in a manner considered by law as less culpable than murder", which seems to fit what happened.

CnCFunFactory
06-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Something my grandpa use to say rings very true in this situation. "V-8 beats .45." Just keep moving.

CCWFacts
06-23-2010, 1:15 AM
Oakland PD is getting ready for riots (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/18/MNDO1E1DU8.DTL). They're doing everything except what would be effective: advising residents to get armed and issuing CCWs.

Oakland police simulated a riot Friday as they prepared for possible mayhem in the aftermath of the trial of Johannes Mehserle, the former BART police officer who is accused of murdering an unarmed train rider.

Should anything occur, police plan to disseminate information via the Internet and the department's Twitter feed, @oaklandpoliceca, said Officer Jeff Thomason, Oakland police spokesman.

Oh wonderful! A Twitter feed is just what you need when there's an angry crowd trying to set your house on fire! "Stop! Oakland PD is on Twitter!!!" That will stop them cold!

They're also planning to create a tip line for the public to call in reports about any Mehserle protests or violence, Thomason said.

I have a tip for them: "There will be violence in Oakland!"

Self-described anarchists have already begun posting locations on leftist Web sites for where to gather on the day of the Mehserle verdict.

Yes, Berkeley "anarchists" giving incitement. These are some pretty organized anarchists (http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/?p=1561)!