PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21SF

monstertodd
06-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Hey anyone have experience with this gun?

Is it legal to purchase in Cali, or would I have to acquire it via PPT?

chiselchst
06-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Hey anyone have experience with this gun? LOTS of folks will reply here...I'll yield to them.

Is it legal to purchase in Cali, or would I have to acquire it via PPT? It's on the Ca Cert List, OK to buy new (with 10-rd mags only of course)

Your GTG!

There's been lots of discussion on them here, here's the querry from a CG search:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?searchid=8794232

Quiet
06-21-2010, 12:42 AM
There are four variants of the Glock 21SF.
#1) Glock 21SF with picatinny rail & ambi-magazine release (discontinued)
#2) Glock 21SF with glock rail & ambi-magazine release (discontinued)
#3) Glock 21SF with glock rail & standard magazine release
#4) Glock 21SF RTF2 with glock rail & standard magazine release

Only variant that is on the approved list is the Glock 21SF with glock rail & standard magazine release.

The other three variants can only be obtained via LE sale, PPT or out-of-state intra-familial gift.

AIMSMALL
06-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Yep they are Legal here! I handled one at turners and the slim grip was really comfortable, very nice gun!

joelj320
06-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Man do i regret selliny my 21sf. It had the picatinny rail and ambidextrous mag release. :( was a great gun

trendar5
06-21-2010, 1:07 AM
Yep they are Legal here! I handled one at turners and the slim grip was really comfortable, very nice gun!

The term "slim grip" tends to imply that the grip width is different/less on this gun than the G21. Not so. The only difference is 2mm shorter frame from front to back, that is why its called Short Frame, not Slim Frame.

bsg
06-21-2010, 2:23 AM
my son owns one and loves it. i find the grip to be too large for my hand.

monstertodd
06-21-2010, 5:48 AM
Outstanding, thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

p7m8jg
06-21-2010, 6:05 AM
The term "slim grip" tends to imply that the grip width is different/less on this gun than the G21. Not so. The only difference is 2mm shorter frame from front to back, that is why its called Short Frame, not Slim Frame.

I was surprised to find exactly that when I tried one out recently. Not so "slim" a grip after all.....

nn3453
06-21-2010, 8:29 AM
The front to back distance matters if the 21 does not fit you. It won't fit you like a glove the way a 9mm frame does, but personally, I find it more ergonomic than the 21. The difference is apparent right away if you hold both. Great guns, you won't regret it.

cineski
06-21-2010, 8:48 AM
SF is 2mm thinner on the top of grip (front to back) and about 3mm near the bottom of the grip. Slightly lowered point of aim w/ the SF model.

Meaneng
06-21-2010, 8:59 AM
Picked one up a couple of months ago - I like it. Accuracy is excellent (that means I can actually hit with it). I've put about 1200 rounds through it, no malfunctions.

punisheryayarea
06-21-2010, 9:23 AM
I have one on hold (still on the 30 day wait :rolleyes:) oh and with night sight........

Corbin Dallas
06-21-2010, 11:43 AM
SF is 2mm thinner on the top of grip (front to back) and about 3mm near the bottom of the grip. Slightly lowered point of aim w/ the SF model.

Shorter not "slimmer".

As in Shorter from the web of your thumb to the tip of your finger...

The frame is not slimmer side to side as the G21SF and G21 take the same magazines (ambi excluded)

DaveFJ80
06-21-2010, 12:02 PM
There are four variants of the Glock 21SF.
#1) Glock 21SF with picatinny rail & ambi-magazine release (discontinued)
#2) Glock 21SF with glock rail & ambi-magazine release (discontinued)
#3) Glock 21SF with glock rail & standard magazine release
#4) Glock 21SF RTF2 with glock rail & standard magazine release

A friend of mine had the Varient 1 G21SF, and the picatinny was a nice add-on to the gun. But the ambi mag release really sucked on the G21's, as it was jerky and very hard at times to use. Lots of talk about it over on GlockTalk, and how a lot of people dislike it and how it's supposedly a failed attempt by Glock with their first ambi mag release. Most of the ambi owners have sent in their lowers to Glock, only to receive new ones with a standard mag release (and different serial number). My friend did this and was happy with the results, up until he sold the gun.

Ironically, after having a few other guns in the meantime, he went back to the G21SF and now has the Varient 3 setup above, and he's very happy with it. I'm considering getting one myself, but keep telling myself to get a 1911 first :p.

cineski
06-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Please re-read what I wrote. Never wrote what you just "quoted" me. I said thinner front to back.

Shorter not "slimmer".

As in Shorter from the web of your thumb to the tip of your finger...

The frame is not slimmer side to side as the G21SF and G21 take the same magazines (ambi excluded)

chiselchst
06-21-2010, 5:44 PM
Lots of talk about it over on GlockTalk, and how a lot of people dislike it and how it's supposedly a failed attempt by Glock with their first ambi mag release. Most of the ambi owners have sent in their lowers to Glock, only to receive new ones with a standard mag release (and different serial number).

I believe in that same discussion at GT, many of those same folks mentioned that Glock stated that the ambi mag release (and Pic rail) models were not going to be produced any longer...FWIW.

Corbin Dallas
06-21-2010, 8:49 PM
Please re-read what I wrote. Never wrote what you just "quoted" me. I said thinner front to back.

Thin implys from side to side, not from front to back, generally speaking.

Too many people think the SF is for "Slim Frame" and it is not. The G21 and G21SF variants take the same magazines and hold the same amount of rounds.

It helps to refer to the SF as it is called "Short Frame" as in shorter from front to back.

That's all.

Don't get your panties in a wad about it.

remyjoeboxer
06-21-2010, 9:09 PM
I saw one here on the FS section...

cineski
06-22-2010, 7:16 AM
Here's a picture w/ the difference. Standard frame is red, sf black.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f20/cineski/SFvsNonSFl2.jpg

taguin
06-22-2010, 8:04 AM
I remember about a year ago the Glock distributor I was working for had to send back an *** load of them back to Georgia for replacement frames. They were all LE pistols with that ambi mag release and picatinny rail. Apparently the mag release mechanism would get fouled up during long shooting sessions. The factory certified armorers and departmental (PAPD) LE armorers collaborated but could not figure it out. Other than that I can't recall another problem with the SF line. Hope this helps.

usctrojan
06-22-2010, 8:13 AM
I was shooting slightly to one side with my 21... so I gave it to a family member and bought the 21SF... now I hit center every time I follow the fundamentals.