PDA

View Full Version : Can I puchase a gun from another country?

map
06-20-2010, 11:02 PM
My uncle told me he would like to one day give me my grandfather's colt python 357 magnum. However, this revolver is in another country. What are the chances I can have this family heirloom shipped here to California? Thanks for any feedback.

HCz
06-20-2010, 11:28 PM
as far as I know, it would have to go through a FFL who has experience in dealing with such transactions. But be prepared to pay some hefty amount.

bjl333
06-20-2010, 11:56 PM
I've heard of a FFL in/around San Francisco that specialize in out of country import/export. I'll check more on this tomorrow.

Quiet
06-21-2010, 12:31 AM
Need to get BATFE approval prior to importing.

Most FFL dealers that are willing to do all the logistics to import a firearm will charge between $400-1000 per firearm.

Also, the handgun needs to be on the approved list.

bigthaiboy
06-21-2010, 1:19 AM
Any FFL01 licensee is allowed make an occasional importation of a firearm for a non-licensee (but the firearm cannot be for resale). The licensee must first submit a ATF Form 6, Part I to the Imports Branch of the BATF. This takes about 4-6 weeks for approval. The FFL then has to submit the approved ATF Form 6 and a completed Form 6A to U.S. Customs.

Some countries will also require you to apply for an export license, before the firearm can leave the country.

map
06-21-2010, 5:39 AM
Thanks everyone. This is good feedback.

pyromensch
06-21-2010, 10:37 PM
isn't kalifornia another country?

monstertodd
06-22-2010, 4:44 AM
You aren't by chance active duty military are you?

When I was still active duty, I purchased 3 Huglu over/under .12 gauges from Turkey and took them back to the states with me.

All I had to do was fill out an importation form with the BATF.

This was in 1999 though, could be a lot different now. I don't know.

Malthusian
06-22-2010, 5:07 AM
isn't kalifornia another country?

Wouldn't surprise me if they seceded from the United States

Miltiades
06-22-2010, 6:45 AM
If it were me, I'd sell the Python in the other country, where it may be a rarity and would fetch a good price, then bring the money to the US and buy a Python here. It would avoid the trouble and expense of all the FFL stuff and government red tape.

CoolCalGunner
06-22-2010, 8:32 AM
If it were me, I'd sell the Python in the other country, where it may be a rarity and would fetch a good price, then bring the money to the US and buy a Python here. It would avoid the trouble and expense of all the FFL stuff and government red tape.

It's a family heirloom which is the reason he'd like to keep it :D

echoarms
06-22-2010, 9:06 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if they seceded from the United States
Don't talk like that, you'll get me all excited.

map
06-22-2010, 10:44 AM
You aren't by chance active duty military are you?

When I was still active duty, I purchased 3 Huglu over/under .12 gauges from Turkey and took them back to the states with me.

All I had to do was fill out an importation form with the BATF.

This was in 1999 though, could be a lot different now. I don't know.

No I'm not in the military. I guess that could be an option. My one cousin is in the air force and I have two other cousins in the Marines.

map
06-22-2010, 10:45 AM
It's a family heirloom which is the reason he'd like to keep it :D

Yes you are correct.