PDA

View Full Version : AR break in

oldyeller
06-20-2010, 9:55 PM
I was told in a new 5.56 barrel, the first 2-500 rounds should only be 5.56x45 and not 223 Remington. Is this true? If so, why?

Thanks

ArkinDomino
06-20-2010, 10:01 PM
not true.

Josh3239
06-20-2010, 10:07 PM
If .223 doesn't work than yes. .223 is weaker ammo and may not cycle if the gas port is undersized and needs to be broken in.

bjl333
06-20-2010, 10:28 PM
You can get special ammo just for breaking in a new barrel.

After the break-in procedures you should have an accurate barrel.

I just shoot 10 rds scrubbing in between shots, then scrub after every 5 for the next 20. I think that should get my barrel pretty conditioned, since non of them are bench guns.

IsaacGlass
06-20-2010, 11:11 PM
You can get special ammo just for breaking in a new barrel.

After the break-in procedures you should have an accurate barrel.

I just shoot 10 rds scrubbing in between shots, then scrub after every 5 for the next 20. I think that should get my barrel pretty conditioned, since non of them are bench guns.

Unless OP has a precision AR, there's really no need for this. 2ndly, I agreed with Josh. 223 ammo is under charge and can create cycling issues in some new AR's.

freonr22
06-20-2010, 11:25 PM
I hate to do this, But cannot resist..

TRRahHX9Zkg

i DO LIKE THE 5 SHOTS, CLEAN, ETC, ALSO honestly use Semichrome to polish lap bore during initial cleaning

phish
06-20-2010, 11:35 PM
I was told in a new 5.56 barrel, the first 2-500 rounds should only be 5.56x45 and not 223 Remington. Is this true? If so, why?

Thanks

whoever told you this is f.o.s.

slomofo
06-20-2010, 11:35 PM
If .223 doesn't work than yes. .223 is weaker ammo and may not cycle if the gas port is undersized and needs to be broken in.

I hate to be the one to ask this, but is there any proof to your gas port break in theory? Any factual evidence that gas ports will actually open up when dirty gases flow through them?

Honestly, I've assembled a couple ARs here and there, but have never encountered a gas port that needed to be broken in. Last time I inquired about this, you said that the ports were sometimes undersized and needed to be opened up, but that makes no sense at all because the barrel is too thick for a low pressure gas surge to open the hole up any wider than it was drilled.

Sorry if I've offended you, but I just need proof to this claim.

bjl333
06-21-2010, 12:05 AM
I hate to be the one to ask this, but is there any proof to your gas port break in theory? Any factual evidence that gas ports will actually open up when dirty gases flow through them?

Honestly, I've assembled a couple ARs here and there, but have never encountered a gas port that needed to be broken in. Last time I inquired about this, you said that the ports were sometimes undersized and needed to be opened up, but that makes no sense at all because the barrel is too thick for a low pressure gas surge to open the hole up any wider than it was drilled.

In theory the gas port COULD open up after extended use ... Kinda like a water fall wearing into the rocks below. But I don't think 99.99% of all AR's will ever get close to this volume of shooting.

bjl333
06-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Unless OP has a precision AR, there's really no need for this. 2ndly, I agreed with Josh. 223 ammo is under charge and can create cycling issues in some new AR's.

He wanted to know how to break in a barrel ... Thats just what I do for every firearm I shoot. Might be too much for a field gun, but its a psychological thing !!! I'm just psycho and it sounds logical to me .....

freonr22
06-21-2010, 12:16 AM
If anything the gas port will clog theoritically

gasol1ne
06-21-2010, 12:29 AM

Thanks

i never heard that, but im relatively new to the AR game. What i was told was just to shoot the gun normally and enjoy it. :)

AlliedArmory
06-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Unless it is a precision AR.....Just lube and shoot. Repeat process as needed.

I personally shoot XM193 5.56 rds.

Josh3239
06-21-2010, 1:18 AM
No the hole isn't going to get wider, but a drilled hole can only be so smooth and clean. The gasses speeding through the port is going to smooth things out and help get rid of those tiny burrs. The port will break in and enough gas will flow to get rid of short stroking with weaker ammo or short stroking all together. You didn't offend me. You can believe it or not, it does me no harm. I have experienced it and I have noticed that most people who have cyclying problems with their ARs seem to disapear after they shoot it more.

thayne
06-21-2010, 1:36 AM
I think "breaking in" is a bunch of BS. With rifles and motorcycles. Like with motorcycles I think manufactures make their break in procedures to actually break in the rider to the bike. Dead customers arent good for repeat business. :D

oldyeller
06-21-2010, 7:33 AM
whoever told you this is f.o.s.

Kinda what I was thinking

The cycling break in could more likely be the rings on the bolt breaking in.

AR-15 Rep
06-21-2010, 8:01 AM
You do not have to break in a rifle using only 5.56mm ammo but one thing to consider is the difference in the two rounds. Some info to look at is found on:
http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

This may not affect much but something to look at with the differences in throat length between the .223 ammo and 5.56mm.

With it being a mandatory using 5.56mm only, I wouldn't worry about it. Just do a normal breakin heating it up and cleaning for a little while and you should be GTG.

-hanko
06-21-2010, 10:59 AM
No the hole isn't going to get wider, but a drilled hole can only be so smooth and clean. The gasses speeding through the port is going to smooth things out and help get rid of those tiny burrs. The port will break in and enough gas will flow to get rid of short stroking with weaker ammo or short stroking all together. You didn't offend me. You can believe it or not, it does me no harm. I have experienced it and I have noticed that most people who have cyclying problems with their ARs seem to disapear after they shoot it more.
That's ludicrous. Most cycling problems with new AR's disappear with lubrication (focus on the bolt carrier) and shooting a bunch of bullets. .223 v. 5.56 makes zero difference. Try calculating the area of a perfect gas port v. one with "those tiny burrs". :rolleyes: Then throw in the time/pressure curve for .223 v. 5.56.;)

Try a well-used barrel on a new receiver with new bolt carrier and demonstrate it for yourself.

On barrel break-in, read this thread...it's written by someone with just a tiny bit of experience in precision barrels...http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

-hanko

-hanko
06-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Thanks
Find a reputable authority who agrees with that ****e & I'll buy you dinner and a box of .223 Rem.;)

It's not true...try a little critical thinking: Does the military do it? Have you ever seen an AR manufacturer recommend it?? Any barrel makers suggest it??

-hanko

norcal.xd
06-21-2010, 1:17 PM
sorry if i missed the post but i got a new ar and i was wondering the correct way to break it in.

socal-shooter
06-21-2010, 1:35 PM
im stoked to find this thread

my new ar platform only has 6-700 rounds through it and sometimes short-cycles when using the .223..

i am very happy to hear with a lil lube and more rounds this intermiottent problem will be going away!!! :)

gizmo7718
06-21-2010, 1:53 PM
I bought a WOA 18" SS match barrel (http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/barrels.htm)for my SPR build. I wrote an email to John Holliger, the founder of WOA, asking what his preferred break in procedure for his barrels. He wrote back with two words, "shoot it."
That's all I needed to know about break in procedures. :thumbsup:

-hanko
06-21-2010, 3:44 PM
I bought a WOA 18" SS match barrel (http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/barrels.htm)for my SPR build. I wrote an email to John Holliger, the founder of WOA, asking what his preferred break in procedure for his barrels. He wrote back with two words, "shoot it."
Josh3239 should email both Mr. Holliger & Mr. McMillen & let them know about the gas port break-in procedure:sleeping:

-hanko

bjl333
06-21-2010, 6:33 PM

Some manufacturers do clean up their barrels hence no break-in period. So out of the box accuracy is great. The run of the mill barrel probably don't have it as good, so maybe a break-in procedure might help. The difference is probably minimal in a field barrel, but a varmint/bench gun would definately benefit from a proper break-in.
I remember someone told me that Colt use to push some kind of ball looking thing thru the Python barrels to get it polished up to get rid of all the micro imperfections. The Python had the best out of the box accuracy for a long time.
For most people the break-in is probably a waste of time. But I do believe there is a benefit to a properly broken-in a barrel ...

Linus
06-21-2010, 6:38 PM
I hate to do this, But cannot resist..

TRRahHX9Zkg

i DO LIKE THE 5 SHOTS, CLEAN, ETC, ALSO honestly use Semichrome to polish lap bore during initial cleaning

That only works for a bolt action, here is how you beak in an autoloader. :D

PHR1s7kmi1E