PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92fs experts needed!

spoolinq
06-20-2010, 9:54 PM
I've been testing out different 9mm pistols today and fell in love with the beretta 92fs. My only problem with the pistol is that the trigger seems very long before it engages. I understand that this maybe due to being a double action pistol but was wondering if there's anything I can do to shorten the trigger pull?

SamsDX
06-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Shoot single action only? ;)

In all seriousness, I'm not sure there's much you can do about the length of the trigger pull on a 92FS. Is it the length of the first pull that's bothering you? You can try reducing the pull weight by replacing the mainspring with a "D" spring, which should ease the long/DA pull considerably and give you greater control on the first shot. The SA pull will be correspondingly lighter, as well.

Mr. Beretta
06-20-2010, 10:14 PM
I've been shooting the 92 series of Beretta 9MM's since 1985. The design of the 1st shot double action trigger pull is outstanding! Very few pistols in production are as smooth and consistent as the 92. My best advice is simple. Master it and enjoy one of the finest hand held combat weapons ever made!

Good Luck!

P.S................The above suggestion about the "D" spring is spot on.

bjl333
06-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I've been shooting the 92 series of Beretta 9MM's since 1985. The design of the 1st shot double action trigger pull is outstanding! Very few pistols in production are as smooth and consistent as the 92. My best advice is simple. Master it and enjoy one of the finest hand held combat weapons ever made!

Good Luck!

P.S................The above suggestion about the "D" spring is spot on.

^ Ditto ... 15 yrs.

drs2714
06-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Try the Beretta Vertec.

spoolinq
06-20-2010, 10:24 PM
I think you guys are right. It seems like the long trigger is something I need to get used to if I get this pistol. I highly doubt any shooting range has a beretta w/ the "d" spring mod for rent so it seems like it'll be something I'll look into if i decide to go w/ the 92fs.

The other pistol i was looking into was the glock 19. I'm still leaning towards the 92fs tho...

Old4eyes
06-20-2010, 11:23 PM
The Beretta is a large handgun so make sure it is a good fit for your hand, you won't be able to make it smaller.

The D spring (or a Wolf 16 lb.) spring will lighten that long pull, but it won't make it shorter.

It's heavy gun compared to the plastic fantastics, but that tames recoil.
The large size also gives a longer sight radius, but you better like the sights, especially the front one, it's part of the frame. Yes, there is a new model with replaceable sights, but it is not CA legal.

The one thing I really don't like about it is the placement of the safety/decocker on the slide. It is very easy to inadvertently engage that lever to the safe mode when racking the slide in a stressed situation.

What I do like about the 92 is that the slide feels like it is on ball bearings. My wife chose the 92 because it is very easy to rack, but she gets stovepipes with small hands gripping that large gun (she does not have that problem with XD's).

If you know those issues (they may be non issues to you) going in and they don't bother you, it's a good, reliable gun. It is a different feel that XD/Glock/Smith M&P,Beretta PX4 etc, and if it feels right for you, go for it. But before you do, give a CZ 75 series a look, it's in that 92FS ballpark. Not the same as a 92, but closer to it than the plastics.

Ron-Solo
06-21-2010, 12:00 AM
I've been carrying a 92F since 1988 as my primary duty weapon. It is a great firearm. Reliable, durable and reasoably priced. They are a large frame so if you have small hands it might be a little harder to get used to.

Once you get used to the double action pull, it's a great gun to shoot.

DDG
06-21-2010, 7:57 AM
Happy 92FS owner here. If you are debating between this and the Glock 19, you may still want to look more. These are two very different guns with completely different handling characteristics (IMO).

As already said, the 92 is a larger gun with a larger grip profile, especially when compared to the Glock 19. The one “complaint” you will see about the 92 is that some are not comfortable with the larger grip.

Stealth
06-21-2010, 9:04 AM
How would some of you compare a 92FS vs a CZ75 and a Sig 226?

Wasn't the CZ75 and Sig226 both in the running for the military side arm competition that the 92FS became (the M9) ?

If so I would think all 3 of these would be similar in many ways (but stil some minor differences)

spoolinq
06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
In terms of the grip, I felt that the Beretta fits more nicely in my hands than the Glock19. I'll also give the CZ a try next time I'm in the range. At this point, I'm 60% leaning towards the Beretta92fs, 30% glock19, and 10% other. I plan on making a decision within the month. Thanks for all the inputs!

K_Labs
06-21-2010, 10:19 AM
I own a 92FS and I rented a CZ 75B and I like the CZ 75 just as much if not more than my 92. It's so comfortable and reminds me of a little 1911 almost. Oh yea and it's Extremely accurate. The 92FS is also a great gun maybe it's just me wanting what I don't have.

FUBAR
06-21-2010, 10:34 AM
There is a single stack compact version known as the Type M. Its slimmer around the grip which might increase trigger control. Theres one available in the sales section of this forum.

paintballdad
06-21-2010, 12:04 PM
How would some of you compare a 92FS vs a CZ75 and a Sig 226?

Wasn't the CZ75 and Sig226 both in the running for the military side arm competition that the 92FS became (the M9) ?

If so I would think all 3 of these would be similar in many ways (but stil some minor differences)

At one point in time, i owned all 3. I still have the P226 and the 92FS but sold the CZ75 quite a few years back.

All 3 pistols are nice shooters with their own personality. The CZ75 was the heaviest and had the least recoil. The gun's all steel construction and low bore axis helped in this regard. The 92FS is a bulky pistol grip wise and in size but had the smoothest trigger and to me the most accurate. Fit and finish was better than the CZ75 and although a little big it still feels great in my hands. I would have preffered a 92G had they offered it when i purchased my 92FS. Currently, i think the CZ-75 and 92FS are in the same price range.
But of all the 3, the P226 has been my favorite due to it's manual of arms and how it feels in my hands. I became a Sig P series fan because of the P226 and now own 4 Sig P2xx because of it. In the 15+ years that i've owned it and feeding it all kinds of ammo, i've never had any failures of any kind. I feel that it's one of the best pistols in the market.
It's just unfortunate that Sig prices has gone up quite a bit since i purchased mine. All 3 pistols when i purchased them in the early 90's were within $50 of each other. You can't go wrong with any of these 3. it's all a matter of preference.

Just my .02

orangeusa
06-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I thought it was Sig/Beretta and Ruger in the M9 selloff/running????
I could be completely wrong, but thought I read that in Ayoobs Combat Handgunnery....

And - yes, I have normal sized hands and have learned to get THIN grips, and pull trigger using pad of trigger finger.

BTW - I tore my three 92's down to the frame, and lubricated every moving part with lithium grease, along with a mild sear/hammer cleanup (sandpaper lightly), and changed to a 'D' spring (or cut off 3-4 rings of stock FS spring). Made a huge difference, and I don't mind or notice the long pull in DA. It is SLOWER than a SA shot... tho...

I actually shoot more accurately in DA. Not a lot better.

It takes a little while to get good with a 92, but the effort is well worth the effort. Cause any issues you have shooting it will make you a better shooter with almost any other pistol (in my opinion).

Anyway, I keep buying them! hahaha

paul0660
06-21-2010, 12:43 PM
I'll also give the CZ a try next time I'm in the range.

Don't make up your mind until then, because you haven't tried the best, yet, imo.

Bentot
06-21-2010, 4:56 PM
Handling characteristics wise, Sig 226, 92FS, CZ75 are about equal. So is accuracy. Trigger pull are about the same (no trigger job done). The feature that sold me on the 92FS is chrome lined barrel.

orangeusa
06-21-2010, 4:57 PM
or stainless/Inox