PDA

View Full Version : Ruger < S&W (warranty)

xxsleepyxx
06-20-2010, 9:42 PM
I know S&W is one of the best in customer service. With their lifetime service it is hard to be beat.

It is to my understanding that Ruger does not have this lifetime service in printing. However, I have heard some stories that they are so-so to excellent in their service.

My question is: Will they fix anything for the lifetime or the gun or is up solely up to their discretion?

Anybody have experience using Ruger's CS?

UserM4
06-20-2010, 9:50 PM
What do you have and what's wrong with it? :p

xxsleepyxx
06-20-2010, 9:51 PM
Oh I don't have anything yet but am considering warranties in my purchase. That SR9-C looking quite exquisite.

jdg30
06-20-2010, 9:56 PM
I personally know that Smith and Wesson's customer service is great. I had to return a new gun for factory defect and they paid shipping both ways and paid my DROS fee because the gun needed a new frame and had to be re-DROSed. Turnaround time was a few weeks and they had good communication.

I got a new Ruger Sp101 and had some concerns about the transfer bar rattling in it. Little did I know that it was normal, but I called Ruger and within a couple days they sent me a new transfer bar for free with no questions asked. They may not specifically state that they have a lifetime warranty but I bet they will take care of you and give good customer service.

If you have a problem, being polite and courteous goes a long way for having their customer service take care of you.

UserM4
06-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Oh I don't have anything yet but am considering warranties in my purchase. That SR9-C looking quite exquisite.

I was in the same boat as you. Actually, before I knew anything about the SR9, I got to hold one at Turner's about a year ago and I fell in love. Then when I got home, I did my research and there were plenty of problems. But I realized that Ruger, promptly, took care of all their customers with turnarounds in the 2 week time frame. I definitely felt reassured. But when I finally saved up enough money, I found out about the SR9c. I did my research again and the initial responses from owners looked very positive. Then I went to check it out at Turner's again and I fell in love all over again. That thing is really everything I was looking for in a compact pistol. My criteria was that my pinky fit on the grip. Well, with my girly hands, it actually does! Ofcourse it's better with a grip extension. The next thing that I wanted was front slide serrations for press checking. And slimness. That thing is absolutely svelt. Just like the SR9, the SR9c feels very slender in your hands. Very reminiscent of a 1911. Finally, the trigger. No complaints in that department. I DROS'ed it right then and there. I'm waiting to pick it up next week. I don't know how reliable it may be for me but I have no doubt that if it has teething problems, Ruger will take care of me.

Bobula
06-20-2010, 10:28 PM
i bought a sw 4006 on consignment, sold it, bought it back, then blew it up at frontsight. S&W did all the repairs for free, no questions asked, less then 2 week turn around, and sent me 3 free mags!!

audiopro74
06-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Not sure about smith, but I have a 25 yo blackhawk. Ex roommate managed to knock the extractor off somehow. Took it to a smith, who made a mess of it. Sent it back to ruger, as a box of parts. recieved it back, completely fixed, reblued, new cylander rod, new rear sight, and all new internals. The internals sucked since it had a trigger job before. But....

Charged me not a cent, and even covered shipping back to me. Definately made me a believer. Also worth mentioning, I was not the first owner.

robcoe
06-20-2010, 11:02 PM
I have never had cause to find out if Ruger's repair service was good or not. I have never managed to break one of their guns.

DDG
06-21-2010, 8:01 AM
I have never had cause to find out if Ruger's repair service was good or not. I have never managed to break one of their guns.

Same - Happy Ruger owner since 1971 (I was verrrry young).:p

RedFord150
06-21-2010, 8:31 AM

I have owned 8 Rugers since about 1982. I have yet to need Ruger CS.
I still own 3 of them, 5 have been sold. All 3 are over 20 years old.

xxsleepyxx
06-21-2010, 8:39 AM
Are these revolvers that are this tough or semi's? or both?

redhemi
06-21-2010, 8:52 AM
Ruger CS for the most part is excellent you might hear a story or 2 about someone not being happy with it but you always get those with every MFG. I have 12 Rugers and have had only one problem, I broke the striker cover on my SR9(brain fart day) and then called Ruger CS and they shipped out the new part free. So as for life time warranty I belive they will take care of their customers as long as they have parts for whatever you got. And as for the SR9c I've only shot mine 3 times twice comparing it with my SR9 that I've had for over a year and I'm more accurate with the C. Redhemi

robcoe
06-21-2010, 9:17 AM

Revolvers, semi-auto's, rifles, rimfires, they are all built like tanks.

NorCal MedTac
06-21-2010, 9:22 AM
Weird, I must be having a bad day/experience. I felt the S&W guy was rude, it took a week just to get the mailing label, and have had no communication from them. M&P9 had the frontsight pop out within 50 rounds. I won't ever get another S&W product after this whole experience.

BHPFan
06-21-2010, 9:30 AM

Rugers are well known for being workhorses.

I own a P90. I bought it really well used, but it is still shooting reliably.
I have a MkII and SP101 in .22; I don't know how often they were shot by the previous owners, but I've shot 100's of dirty Remington GB rounds without any hiccups on both of them.

Regarding to their bigger caliber revolvers, I've heard from many who owned them and from a local gunsmith on how sturdy they really are.

Regarding to Ruger CS, I don't know. I have not sent any of my Rugers (3 handguns and a .22 rifle) yet as I don't have any issues with them.

Notblake
06-21-2010, 5:50 PM
Ruger Products = http://savo97.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/land_m1a1_abrams_lg.jpg

RollingCode3
06-21-2010, 6:23 PM
Ruger (revolver, rimfire and old semi's) = tank
New semi's (LCP, LCR, SR9) = not really

orangeusa
06-21-2010, 6:39 PM
Okay - Ruger does not have a warantee as such. They DO include a FREE Davidson's lifetime warantee with purchase of new gun. You just have to fill it out. And I THINK it's transferrable.

Next - Ruger's customer support is 2nd to none in my experience. I've called several times, always got a human. They offered to mod my 1959 Single Six with the transfer bar mod and refurb the gun for free. I didn't take them up on it - would have bummed out the Single Six purists.

I called about something on my P90, and the guy sent me a manual for free...

But, compared to my last year with Beretta, where they gutted their parts division and sent it to Brownells, and you can barely get support, I'll take Ruger's anyday.

And yes, I still reallly like my Berettas!! Luckily they, like my Ruger P90, don't break and if they do, I can fix them... Good gosh, those P90's are BUILT!! :)

I won't be parting with the P90....

smittty
06-21-2010, 6:45 PM
My experience is that S&W, Ruger, Springfield and Glock all have outstanding CS and stand behind their products.

Weighing one's CS over the other doesn't play a part in my decision to buy a gun for any of these 4 manufacturers.

If I was considering a gun from someone other than these 4 it would play a into my my decision.

I have a SR9c en route and can't wait to get it!

Smitty

xxsleepyxx
06-21-2010, 7:54 PM
Ruger (revolver, rimfire and old semi's) = tank
New semi's (LCP, LCR, SR9) = not really

I was thinking this based on appearance. Old look really overbuilt and heavy metal the new look cheaper and sleaker

6114DAVE
06-22-2010, 6:03 AM
Can we come to anagreement that a Ruger P series pistol would be an outstanding SHTF sidearm? I have one so i might be a BIT biased..lol

testosteroneOD
06-22-2010, 2:52 PM
about 14yrs ago one of my P series had an issue with the mag coming out during shooting. This was a few years after purchase. Called them up and they diagnosed it as a mag spring issue. Told me to send them a check for 15 bucks for the part. I got the spring but two extras as well as my check back.

russ69
06-22-2010, 5:02 PM
Most of the American/larger gun manufacturers have excellent customer service. I have had some experience with Ruger and they have always had excellent service. They cannot however fix guns that they don't have parts for, certain Mini 14s and obsolete models. In those cases they have always offered replacements at very favorable prices.
I think you can just buy the model you like and not worry about warranty issues from either brand.

Thanx, Russ

Oldnoob
06-22-2010, 5:11 PM
S&W set the bar a bit high. I mean, is there any other company that match with S&W? Full warranty, including shipping (two way), great CS...etc.