PDA

View Full Version : IO AK-47 7.62x39

glockwise2000
06-20-2010, 8:41 PM
I got to handle an OI AK47 7.62x39 at a local Big5 here in Northridge. Upon handling it, it felt like it is just a piece of sheet metal that is so light. I was never confident handling it for the weight factor.

I have a Lancaster and a Century Arms AKs and I am so used to the heaviness of weight of the said two AKs.

Has anyone handled it from a local gunshop or Big5? How'd you feel handling it. I just want to know others feedback.

Dangerpin
06-20-2010, 11:22 PM
There is already a thread that covers this completely. I will sum up;

Yay, big vendors are finally getting on board the EBR train. Good for them!

The gun is cheaply built but may be a good solution if you don't live near a vendor that handles better AKs. You can always replace the furniture. Plan on replacing the furniture.

It felt light to me, too. I'm used to traditional AKs with wood so no surprise. I have two great shops near my town that have AKs so I won't be buying one but YMMV.

rimfire78
06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
The IO is a better gun than the century. The century was converted from a single to a double stack via hackjob, and the mags fit loosly.
The IO IS a doublestack and was built that way.
Put a maglock and a pistol grip on it.

-hanko
06-21-2010, 11:08 AM
The IO is a better gun than the century. The century was converted from a single to a double stack via hackjob, and the mags fit loosly.
The IO IS a doublestack and was built that way.
Put a maglock and a pistol grip on it.
Like saying lung cancer is better than pancreatic cancer:D

-hanko

ZX-10R
06-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Did not like it at all. Would rather just pick up another WASR for that price. Or save up and get some other AK variant.

MrPlink
06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Myself and a few friends have WASRs. Mine is the only one where the mag wobbles, and that's only when I don't have a round chambered.

I kinda like it, let's me know when I'm out.

Now the Casar I handled on the other hand, had a gas tube that rattled, and was made from all mismatched parts. I know it was probably a poor example, but still....

My wasr has all matching parts save for the receiver cover.

Dirtbiker
06-21-2010, 12:39 PM
It terms of weight the IO rifles have super cheap furniture on them. A stock swap with some Arsenal or Ironwood would do wonders for the heft of it.

xxINKxx
06-21-2010, 1:32 PM
What he said ^^

The IO is light because the buttstock is like suppper paper thin cheap plastic. Get some better quality furniture, pistol grip, buttstock and it will weight more and feel beefed up. Theres alot pretty good reviews for the gun though.

Blood Ocean
06-21-2010, 2:11 PM
I went to Big 5 in Fresno and they had one on the wall, if I hadn't already used 5 20% off coupons I would've taken a longer look but the price wasn't bad for what you're getting. It's the convenience of buying these at Big 5 or Turners which makes the extra $$ worthwhile. Big 5 is a great place to shop, they have good prices (unless you buy the junk) on anything you really need and now they have aks as well. They say that politics can be felt by consumers before legislators, if this is the start of taking CA back I am all for it.

rimfire78
06-23-2010, 3:58 PM
I went to Big 5 in Fresno and they had one on the wall, if I hadn't already used 5 20% off coupons I would've taken a longer look but the price wasn't bad for what you're getting. It's the convenience of buying these at Big 5 or Turners which makes the extra $$ worthwhile. Big 5 is a great place to shop, they have good prices (unless you buy the junk) on anything you really need and now they have aks as well. They say that politics can be felt by consumers before legislators, if this is the start of taking CA back I am all for it.

No doubt. Maybe buying from Big 5 will encourage them to carry more black rifles.

Robidouxs
06-23-2010, 4:07 PM
I picked up the CASAR and was not impressed at all. I would take a WASR any day over the CASAR. The action of the CASAR felt awful, sights were pretty crummy, and had some weird gunk in the receiver (definitely not cosmoline).

stix213
06-23-2010, 4:07 PM
I'm considering buying one out of principle. Maybe I can go all wood on this one. :)