PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first coyote today, Heís dead but no entry/exit wound?

TurboAR
06-20-2010, 7:23 PM
Well I shot my first coyote today. Me and my son did a little squirrel shooting today and on the way back we see a coyote on the hill side about 60-70 yards away. I shoulder my AR15 and shoot, down he goes. He falls over, feet go up in the air, shaking taking his last breath. Pretty cool being fathersí day and having my son with me. So we go to check the coyote out. He was big and healthy. The strange thing is he had no entry or exit wound? No blood on the fur anywhere. I shot it with a .223 55 gr V-Max bullet. We use these on squirrels and pop, not much left after being hit. So what killed the coyote? The shockwave from the bullet going next to the head/body? Did the wound closed up and his body contained the bullet exploding? Sorry I have no pictures to share, forgot the cameras. Anyhow, felt great to get one, but felt a little robbed not seeing any blood shed. It was a great Fathers day anyhow.

lewdogg21
06-20-2010, 7:25 PM
Hide probably slipped over the entry wound. Happens with other big game like elk and deer. The only way to know for sure would be to skin it out.

CSACANNONEER
06-20-2010, 7:30 PM
Those acme bullets do strage things to coyotes.

BTW, your being disappointed about not seeing blood shed does not sound healthy to me.

aaronraby1
06-20-2010, 7:37 PM
Those acme bullets do strage things to coyotes.

BTW, your being disappointed about not seeing blood shed does not sound healthy to me.

i was thinking the same thing. you should glorify the animal and thank it. sad thing is, it was probably a parent looking for food (your shot squirrels) for its young. thats why i dont hunt yotes in any season other than winter.

TurboAR
06-20-2010, 7:39 PM
Hide probably slipped over the entry wound. Happens with other big game like elk and deer. The only way to know for sure would be to skin it out.
Interesting, I know I should have gutted it to have a little look inside. I had no knife with me and it was getting late. Anyhow, looks like the other coyotes and birds will be feasting on that carcass tonight. The ranchers in the area have had problems with to many coyotes and way to many squirrels. Killing off a few is no big deal. As far not seeing blood and feeling robbed, I reload my own bullets and just felt the V-Max bullet would blow a hugh hole in it. I don't get off seeing blood and guts.

professorhard
06-20-2010, 7:43 PM
i was thinking the same thing. you should glorify the animal and thank it. sad thing is, it was probably a parent looking for food (your shot squirrels) for its young. thats why i dont hunt yotes in any season other than winter.

I think you are on the wrong forum.

This seems more approriate: www.PETA.org/community

easy
06-20-2010, 8:37 PM
...sad thing is, it was probably a parent looking for food ...thats why i dont hunt yotes in any season other than winter.

Screw that!

grumpy
06-20-2010, 8:43 PM

haha.

I personally was imagining the sadistic carnage of the .223 vs the squirrel. Reminds me of this vid on youtube of the .243 vs bunny. I have yet to get a coyote close enough to shoot...they're so skittish and run away before they are in range. I guess next time I'll have to bring my 7mm and get one.

Annonymous
06-20-2010, 8:55 PM
where did you hit the coyote? head/neck or body shot?

igorts
06-20-2010, 9:02 PM
he died from heart attack:D

SLYoteBoy
06-20-2010, 9:06 PM
Probably blew up in side , never made an exit.

DirtyDave
06-20-2010, 9:54 PM
Probably blew up in side , never made an exit.

Thats what I was thinking probably happened. The V-max expands/explodes so quickly it never made it out the other side and destroyed everything on the inside

turbogg
06-21-2010, 12:01 AM
I personally was imagining the sadistic carnage of the .223 vs the squirrel.

I was thinking the same thing. Those squirrels must have been shredded by that .223 round.

CSACANNONEER
06-21-2010, 5:48 AM

If you have a problem with ethical hunting and would rather just see a blood bath, please, seek proffesional help. Whatever you do, I beg you not to take the field or even talk about you lust for blood. It gives the rest of us good sportsman and hunters a bad name.

TurboAR
06-21-2010, 6:26 AM
where did you hit the coyote? head/neck or body shot?
No blood what so ever? Kind of strange. The wound closed up and the bullet expanded inside. He went down very fast, it was a quick kill. Makes me think it expanded inside doing maximum damage. Wound closed up under the fur? Anyhow, looking forward to maybe getting more next weekend. The ranchers will be happy seeing less of there chickens and other livestock killed/wounded by those problem coyotes.

aaronraby1
06-21-2010, 8:07 AM
If you have a problem with ethical hunting and would rather just see a blood bath, please, seek proffesional help. Whatever you do, I beg you not to take the field or even talk about you lust for blood. It gives the rest of us good sportsman and hunters a bad name.

thank you. i believe in morals and ethics. as well as sustainability and conservation. thats a true hunter.

aaronraby1
06-21-2010, 8:13 AM

you should probably find out what PETA's main goal actually does before you make a statement. thanks.

OffGrid
06-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Dang, Listen to some of you bash the guy. He comes here telling us about a seemingly ethical kill and maybe get some insight on why he did not see an entry or exit wound and some of you want to perform a psychological evaluation on him.

I myself want to see at least an entry and maybe the exit.

No Nancy, itís not out of a perverse thrill of seeing the blood and guts. As an ethical hunter and sportsman I want to know where I hit in relation to where I was aiming. I want to know how my loads are performing. Itís a way to actually better yourself, your weapon and your ammunition choice.

TurboAR, Good Shoot. If you donít want to skin them out to find the entry try floppin them over side to side. It will some times move the flap and seep some blood.

Barbarossa
06-21-2010, 12:41 PM

+1

Dang, Listen to some of you bash the guy. He comes here telling us about a seemingly ethical kill and maybe get some insight on why he did not see an entry or exit wound and some of you want to perform a psychological evaluation on him.

No Nancy, itís not out of a perverse thrill of seeing the blood and guts. As an ethical hunter and sportsman I want to know where I hit in relation to where I was aiming. I want to know how my loads are performing. Itís a way to actually better yourself, your weapon and your ammunition choice.

Nice Avatar...

gotime
06-21-2010, 2:16 PM
^ haha good eye.

Full Clip
06-21-2010, 2:26 PM
Must have been one of those magically deadly "assault weapon" rounds.
Were you shooting from the hip without aiming?

center_x
06-21-2010, 2:36 PM
Nevermind the guys bashing you. Thank you for your story. Too bad you didn't have your camera with you. Sounds like you had a great fathers day.

Trendkill
06-21-2010, 3:53 PM
Wow....there sure was a lot of reading between the lines here. I'd be trippin out too if I couldnt find out where the shot landed.

Either way...its one less mangy dog bothering the farmers.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-21-2010, 3:58 PM
great job!

Most of the VG's will not make an exit wound since it is made to expand on contact and send all the enery through the animal. This happened with the last one that we shot. It was hit by a .30-06 and there was no entry or exit wound found. I did not take it home and skin it out since I did not have the time that day and it was a pretty small dog. It does happen quite a lot on animals I have shot unless you really blow a hole in them or hit them in an artery or bone. A good sign of a good hit is blood dripping fro the nose.

Joe
06-21-2010, 4:04 PM
To everyone who says they shot and killed the coyote with no entry/exit wounds. You have been tricked. The coyote was playing dead.

Its like catch and release but with coyotes instead of fish.

I'm kidding by the way. However I guess it could be possible the coyote somehow fainted or got knocked out and you just thought it was dead. Sounds pretty impossible but eventually its bound to happen.

HokeySon
06-21-2010, 4:16 PM
he died from heart attack:D

Thought the same thing. Maybe he was just scared to death.

Congrats on spending fathers day with the kid, I spent the day killing clay pigeons with my kids and my pop (he didn't shoot, wheechair bound and pretty frail). It was a great day. a few folks noticed the three generations on fathers day and made some nice comments. It made my dad (and me) feel really good.

bujin
06-21-2010, 4:46 PM
Being that it was a healthy & strong animal he decided to commit suicide when he realized all you were using was a .223, he would have rather been shot by a 50 BMG.

Just kidding, it really would have been nice to see some pics (skinned) to see what really happened.

.223 rounds can do some really weird things inside a body. The lack of an entry would definitely mean the wound getting covered up, the lack of an exit wound means the bullet took a roller coaster ride inside the carcass.

I like instant drops with minimum blood. It sounds like a great father day. Since you were not planning on cooking you kills I don't blame you for not taking a knife with you. :) Keep hunting and have fun. Thanks for sharing the story.

CSACANNONEER
06-21-2010, 4:58 PM

No Nancy, it’s not out of a perverse thrill of seeing the blood and guts. As an ethical hunter and sportsman I want to know where I hit in relation to where I was aiming. I want to know how my loads are performing. It’s a way to actually better yourself, your weapon and your ammunition choice.

TurboAR, Good Shoot. If you don’t want to skin them out to find the entry try floppin them over side to side. It will some times move the flap and seep some blood.
According to the OP's orininal post, it sure sounds like it. That is what we are getting at. The fact that he dispatched a 'yote is no big deal. The fact that
he "felt a little robbed not seeing any blood shed", is either very poor wording or he has some issues. Either way, his words do not help to portray hunting in a good light.

Well I shot my first coyote today. Me and my son did a little squirrel shooting today and on the way back we see a coyote on the hill side about 60-70 yards away. I shoulder my AR15 and shoot, down he goes. He falls over, feet go up in the air, shaking taking his last breath. Pretty cool being fathers’ day and having my son with me. So we go to check the coyote out. He was big and healthy. The strange thing is he had no entry or exit wound? No blood on the fur anywhere. I shot it with a .223 55 gr V-Max bullet. We use these on squirrels and pop, not much left after being hit. So what killed the coyote? The shockwave from the bullet going next to the head/body? Did the wound closed up and his body contained the bullet exploding? Sorry I have no pictures to share, forgot the cameras. Anyhow, felt great to get one, but felt a little robbed not seeing any blood shed. It was a great Fathers day anyhow.

Shotgun Man
06-21-2010, 5:16 PM
According to the OP's orininal post, it sure sounds like it. That is what we are getting at. The fact that he dispatched a 'yote is no big deal. The fact that he "felt a little robbed not seeing any blood shed", is either very poor wording or he has some issues. Either way, his words do not help to portray hunting in a good light.

He's out there varmint hunting, killing squirrels. He sees them vaporize, which is the most humane, yet not so much as a mark on the coyote.

Who cares if he felt robbed? Are we to judge our fellow calgunners for not exhibiting the supposed appropriate emotions while varmint hunting, even though the hunt itself is lawful and ethical?

Toast
06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
According to the OP's orininal post, it sure sounds like it. That is what we are getting at. The fact that he dispatched a 'yote is no big deal. The fact that
he "felt a little robbed not seeing any blood shed", is either very poor wording or he has some issues. Either way, his words do not help to portray hunting in a good light.

I don't really see the issue, he was expecting something a little more "spectacular". Shooting a yote with a scary baby killing AR and having it falling over dead with no visible sign of being shot would definitely be strange. Besides, I don't find it any more disturbing then the people on this site who are hoping for some big disaster so they can gear up and shoot people.

gotime
06-22-2010, 7:09 AM
^ +1 .. I can't see a SHTF scenario (of any kind) be fun. That house you worked for 10+ years to save up for? Leave it. Oh you have a toothache? Here's some pliers.

Rossi357
06-22-2010, 9:51 AM
Hunters code: If you shoot it, eat it. If you hunt for thophies, go for the penis enlargement instead. If you want to see what you bullet does, use a block of ballistic jell. If you like to see squirrels explode, get professional help.

1911whore
06-22-2010, 10:13 AM
You must have scared it to death:)

center_x
06-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Hunters code: If you shoot it, eat it. If you hunt for thophies, go for the penis enlargement instead. If you want to see what you bullet does, use a block of ballistic jell. If you like to see squirrels explode, get professional help.

Guess I missed that in Hunters Ed! :D

professionalcoyotehunter
06-22-2010, 10:47 AM

Would you eat a coyote or ground squirrel? I would just honestly like to know your answer because my guess would be, no.

mif_slim
06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
To rossi: I to think I missed the hunters Ed on that part... Maybe it was taught when I went out to use the bathroom... Darn! I knew I should of stayed! Lol

johnrunner89
06-22-2010, 11:21 AM
To rossi: I to think I missed the hunters Ed on that part... Maybe it was taught when I went out to use the bathroom... Darn! I knew I should of stayed! Lol

I don't remember hearing about that part either and I didn't take any bathroom breaks :p

aaronraby1
06-22-2010, 2:34 PM
i was not bashing.

Super Spy
06-22-2010, 2:42 PM
Hunters code: If you shoot it, eat it. If you hunt for thophies trophies, go for the penis enlargement instead. If you want to see what you bullet does, use a block of ballistic jell. If you like to see squirrels explode, get professional help.

He was humanely providing food for other varmints so they would eat less of the farmers livestock.....give the dude a break, it was Father's Day!

lewdogg21
06-22-2010, 2:57 PM
Goddamn, bunch of pink wearing little girls in here....

:)

CavTrooper
06-22-2010, 4:53 PM

Guess I missed that in Hunters Ed! :D

I don't remember hearing about that part either and I didn't take any bathroom breaks :p

Yeah... ummm... I musta missed that one too.

+100

CSACANNONEER
06-22-2010, 7:43 PM
Would you eat a coyote or ground squirrel? I would just honestly like to know your answer because my guess would be, no.

I've eaten ground squirrel before. There sure insn't much meat on them.

E Pluribus Unum
06-22-2010, 11:43 PM
That's why I shoot animals with a .308.... no questions asked... always an exit wound. :)

professionalcoyotehunter
06-23-2010, 7:32 AM
Cant go wrong with grilled ground squirrel.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/Hunting/GroundSquirrelBBQ.jpg

winnre
06-23-2010, 7:38 AM
That's why I shoot animals with a .308.... no questions asked... always an exit wound. :)

Exit wound = something else is gonna get shot with the same bullet

doc1buc
06-23-2010, 7:56 AM
Hunter's code? Awesome, if you are going to start taking the higher morale ground you need to finish the sentiment by carry corn pone in your pouch and reciting to the spirit. Get your nose out of the air. He killed a predator, one shot, one kill. Get off your morale high horse.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-23-2010, 8:00 AM
People always get burned on here and I dont understand why. He was just curious why there was no entry and exit wound which hapens more often than not. I say we all stick together and congradulate the OP for a job well done.

Keep it up buddy. You are now hooked on predator hunting. Hopefully you will learn how to call them in next time.

hnoppenberger
06-23-2010, 2:51 PM

you disgust me. whos hunters code is that mary poppins?
DISGUSTING.

and then to the question of no entry/exit wound. the .223 vmax did its job very well- pelt preservation.
shooting yotes with a .308 is cool and all, but some people like to keep pelts, and large stuff destroys em to were smaller rounds
like the .223 goes in with a 5mm hole and does not come out. my guess would be the frag wound knocked his brain/spine and or heart out which did not let his bleed out of that little hole. job well done- shoulda at least kept the skull or tail, eh theres plenty of em.

hnoppenberger
06-23-2010, 2:58 PM

i was thinking more along the lines of "SLACK JAW F----TS."

Black Majik
06-23-2010, 3:43 PM

Not only do I enjoy watching squirrels explode, I take pictures of it and post them on the internet! :willy_nilly:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=311376

Click at your own risk, it gets gory!

TurboAR, don't mind the bashers. Nice shot and congrats on your first yote. :thumbsup:

It really surprises me how much people dogpile on here and make assumptions. Keep this up and no one will want to post up a report anymore for fear of getting flamed.

pullnshoot25
06-23-2010, 3:51 PM
Holy crapballs, I hope that I never hang out with some of you guys in real life, because you all will think I am nuts. In all honesty, I get a rush when hunting small game, especially when I get to hear my 100gr G5 SGH-tipped arrows zing through a rabbit or squirrel at a cool 275fps with a soul-satisfying "POP!"

You guys need to knock it off with the "he sounds sick" crap. Criminey.

Shotgun Man
06-23-2010, 3:58 PM
Holy crapballs, I hope that I never hang out with some of you guys in real life, because you all will think I am nuts. In all honesty, I get a rush when hunting small game, especially when I get to hear my 100gr G5 SGH-tipped arrows zing through a rabbit or squirrel at a cool 275fps with a soul-satisfying "POP!"

You guys need to knock it off with the "he sounds sick" crap. Criminey.

At that velocity, I wouldn't even expect penetration.

blackberg
06-23-2010, 4:01 PM
Natural Causes, you shooting at him was just a coincidence...

Congratz on the Yote.

and to the bashers, its not really a game animal but a pest...

-bb

professionalcoyotehunter
06-23-2010, 4:08 PM
But it is delicious.:D

E Pluribus Unum
06-23-2010, 4:39 PM
Exit wound = something else is gonna get shot with the same bullet

Exit wound means I wont be eating little shards of lead from disintegrating bullets... It's not like I hunt in populated areas; I can always look down range...

grammaton76
06-23-2010, 4:45 PM

This doesn't apply to varmint control, which is what the OP was doing.

Farmers have huge problems with coyotes and such, because their chickens, goats, etc are defenseless prey animals confined in a small space.

I wouldn't shoot anything without purpose - just to see it die - but helping a farmer control predators and varmints IS a purpose.

DVSmith
06-23-2010, 4:51 PM

With you on that one... feeling robed due to lack of gore? Seems odd to me too.

pullnshoot25
06-23-2010, 5:24 PM

Good enough for elk and deer at 50yds, good enough for rabbits and other such pesky vermin at that range or closer. WAAAAY better than using my Sheridan C9, though I do not limit myself to just one method.

Shoot-it
06-23-2010, 9:27 PM
Vmax fragment inside the animal unless you hit the neck.Like said above the thick fur just hid the entry hole but it is there.

hnoppenberger
06-24-2010, 10:54 AM
So many idiots here. Why would you use a VMAX on a target your going to eat??? VMAX are for pelt preservation. Exit wounds destroys pelts. No one eats yotes, and the few that do don't obviously mind the frag.
This thread needs to be closed. I have never seen so much grabass in a hunting forum before. The guy got a yote, congrats him or don't say anything at all. If I want to waste my time I should be spending it over at the prius forums.

Sunday
06-24-2010, 11:21 AM
I ran over a squirrel today.

Sunday
06-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Good job getting the coyote, get many more!!!

4Defense
06-24-2010, 6:00 PM
The guy shot a coyote and expects to see blood and guts which is a natural thing. Then he gets flamed for it because he asked a simple question which is very logical.

Maybe , you people don't understand the fact that if you shoot someting it's suppose to bleed.

The guy only went out to hunt varmints which are considered a pest to farmers.

On the other hand, some of you prepare for "SHTF", "Border Hunts", "What If This...", What If That..." so you can hunt HUMANS.

WTF is wrong with some of you. I just don't get it!

Fot
06-24-2010, 6:38 PM
This is why I love Calguns, we can argue over anything..lol Op glad you had a good fathers day shoot.. I would find it strange if I shot something and saw no blood as well..

Shotgun Man
06-24-2010, 6:43 PM
The guy shot a coyote and expects to see blood and guts which is a natural thing. Then he gets flamed for it because he asked a simple question which is very logical.

Maybe , you people don't understand the fact that if you shoot someting it's suppose to bleed.

The guy only went out to hunt varmints which are considered a pest to farmers.

On the other hand, some of you prepare for "SHTF", "Border Hunts", "What If This...", What If That..." so you can hunt HUMANS.

WTF is wrong with some of you. I just don't get it!

The bottom line is that the complainers of the OP are outnumbered by like 20-1 to his defenders. So I feel good about our collective psyche.

Shoot-it
06-24-2010, 8:42 PM
How about some 120 gr Vmax loads for a 7mm mag that would be cool !:D

TurboAR
06-25-2010, 7:28 AM
People always get burned on here and I dont understand why. He was just curious why there was no entry and exit wound which hapens more often than not. I say we all stick together and congradulate the OP for a job well done.

Keep it up buddy. You are now hooked on predator hunting. Hopefully you will learn how to call them in next time.

Thanks for all the positive support. Rancher friend just called, says coyotes retaliated by digging under the chicken coup fence last night. Lost five hens. They dug a hole about a foot deep. Looks like its coyote hunting time again this weekend. Glad a reloaded all winter long. Thinking of bring my Sagia 12 with slugs, just kidding. The .223 with the V-Max works just fine.

Black Majik
06-25-2010, 7:55 AM
Thanks for all the positive support. Rancher friend just called, says coyotes retaliated by digging under the chicken coup fence last night. Lost five hens. They dug a hole about a foot deep. Looks like its coyote hunting time again this weekend. Glad a reloaded all winter long. Thinking of bring my Sagia 12 with slugs, just kidding. The .223 with the V-Max works just fine.

The shotgun would definitely produce BLOOD and GORE. :D

:willy_nilly:

:rolleyes:

pullnshoot25
06-27-2010, 3:55 PM
Hey shotgun man, just because you believe in group think doesnt mean that the results are correct.or right.

theseacow
06-27-2010, 4:15 PM
good kill OP. glad your son was able to experience it with you.

Cokebottle
06-27-2010, 4:36 PM
thank you. i believe in morals and ethics. as well as sustainability and conservation. thats a true hunter.
Talkin' about 'yotes here.
Like rats, only a little taller.
While the pups starving is a sad an inhumane death, it's that many fewer 'yotes that will ultimately be killed later.

Might even save a few family pets and possibly children from a very painful experience/death.

Shotgun Man
06-27-2010, 6:02 PM
Hey shotgun man, just because you believe in group think doesnt mean that the results are correct.or right.

Huh? I was merely pointing out that most calgunners approve of killing a coyote or a ground squirrel.

That is a positive statistic.

Bill Jackson
06-28-2010, 6:59 AM

That's a respectable velocity for an arrowóa projectile with lots of inertia and extremely high sectional density. I've never seen this tested, but bowhunters have told me that an arrow will penetrate bags of sand significantly further than a .30-06.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
^ that has been proven time and again.

mnguyen84
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
it's also been proven in all 3 Rambos. :D

Glock619
06-28-2010, 6:25 PM
I ran over a squirrel today.

Got you beat, ran over two rabbits last night!

Whats the procedure to a penis enlargement called? addadictome?

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2010, 6:50 PM
The bottom line is that the complainers of the OP are outnumbered by like 20-1 to his defenders. So I feel good about our collective psyche.

OK, I guess it's good for sportsman to be veiwed as blood thirsty killers who have a need to kill and SEE blood.

I have been hunting for over 30 years but, I never felt robbed by not seeing blood. Do I have some kind of problem? Instead of feeling the need to see blood, I feel the need to make a clean kill. I commend the OP for that. I have ZERO problems with dispatching vermen. I have zero problem with being up to my elbows in entrails while dressing out game. But, I don't get off on it. Nor, do I feel "robbed" if I don't see blood. In the end, the OP's attitude gives us real sportsmen a bad name.

I know that I started the whole controversy and it still makes me SICK to my stomach to see anyone defending his attitude. I had hoped that he had just worded his post poorly and would have been man enough to admit it. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case. Instead, the fact that so many people here have come to his blood thirsty defense, leads me to believe that many members here are not mature enough, educated enough, emotional stable enough or intelligent enough to handle firearms. Yep, posts like your's and the OP's help me understand why the antis are anti. This type of unsportsman like attiude is about thier only arguement that I can not defend against. So, keep up the good work. I'm sure the Brady Bunch is greatful to you for helping them.

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2010, 6:58 PM
Talkin' about 'yotes here.
Like rats, only a little taller.
While the pups starving is a sad an inhumane death, it's that many fewer 'yotes that will ultimately be killed later.

Might even save a few family pets and possibly children from a very painful experience/death.

Yep, we are talking about a vital part of the habitat. A sportsman understands that and respects them for the good they do while killing the excess population off. An idiot wants to erradicate every single one of them. That type of thinking is 100 years out dated. I'm willing to bet that the majority of those who support the OP's lust to see blood and guts either are not hunters, need to see a shrink or both.

Cokebottle,

How long have you been hunting?

4Defense
06-28-2010, 7:07 PM
After 30 years of hunting, I'm sure you've killed and seen a lot of blood. According to your belief, you should stop hunting because everytime you take another animal there will be blood whether you like it or not. A kill is a kill whether there's blood or not.

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2010, 7:11 PM
After 30 years of hunting, I'm sure you've killed and seen a lot of blood. According to your belief, you should stop hunting because everytime you take another animal there will be blood whether you like it or not. A kill is a kill whether there's blood or not.

I've seen my share but, I've NEVER LUSTED for it! Blood is a natural thing and I don't have any problem with it. Feeling "robbed" because you don't see any is not a natural thing. It is PERVERSE. Yes, a quick and humane kill is a good kill whether there is blood or not.

4Defense
06-28-2010, 7:20 PM
It doesn't matter how you put it, an animal is still an animal.

I don't play god and feel pity for every creatures that exist.

Humans are at the top of the food chain. Period. Every other living things are below humans. Separation of class for thousands of years until the extinction of the human race.

jawbreaker
06-28-2010, 7:33 PM
I think we all have better things to do than argue with each other. everyone has their own opinions about this subject and I don't think they will change it because of what is said here. I blow the crap out of sqirrels and sometimes they turn inside out, that 's just what happens sometimes but I do not post pictures of that on line just because of what is said in the previous post, hunters have a hard enough time with the anti's without feeding there fire. I'm not saying one shouldn't post those pictures, that's just the reason I don't post them.

We all need to stick together and work at giving hunting and hunters a better name.

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2010, 7:33 PM
It doesn't matter how you put it, an animal is still an animal.

I don't play god and feel pity for every creatures that exist.

Humans are at the top of the food chain. Period. Every other living things are below humans. Separation of class for thousands of years until the extinction of the human race.

I agree with you. So, what is your point? Are you trying to say that the lust for blood just to see blood is normal for all of us? No one here has expressed pity for the dead dog. No one has said that the OP was wrong to dispatch it.

pullnshoot25
06-28-2010, 8:54 PM
Huh? I was merely pointing out that most calgunners approve of killing a coyote or a ground squirrel.

That is a positive statistic.

I retract my statement, I misread your post. Please accept my apologies. :eek:

TurboAR
06-29-2010, 7:02 AM
I've seen my share but, I've NEVER LUSTED for it! Blood is a natural thing and I don't have any problem with it. Feeling "robbed" because you don't see any is not a natural thing. It is PERVERSE. Yes, a quick and humane kill is a good kill whether there is blood or not.
I agree with you Csacannoneer somewhat, but am not going to defend the fact I felt robbed for not seeing blood shed. Maybe clarify the fact that not seeing blood I felt the bullet did not do its job expanding and exiting. The coyote looked like he was not shot, but maybe playing dead? After a little input from my fellow Calguns gunners on the characteristics of the Hornady V-Max bullet, makes sense that this bullet did exactly what it was suppose to do. It does little or no damage to the animals pelt. Makes me wish I never posted this, each little word gets picked a part and analyzed / criticized. I am not a purest hunter like some. I just like to hunt, target shoot and in this case, helping a cattle rancher with a problem of predator coyotes killing some of his livestock.
P.S. I do like to see a good red mist hit from 100+ yards.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-29-2010, 7:40 AM
Just keep doing what you been doing regardless of other opinions. People try to burn me all the time for a ll sorts of things. I do my best to ignore them but at some points I know you have to defend your beliefs. If you ever need any tips how to hunt them just let me know.

Here is some carnage for you just to see what can really happen if blood is shed. It was hit with a .30-06 at 50-60 yards.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/010910-1.jpg

TurboAR
06-29-2010, 8:07 AM
Nice picture/kill "professionalcoyotehunter". Thanks again for the help you offered. Still looking for a "Circe P-4 coyote call" you recommended. No luck so far. How about any of the pre-recored coyote calls CD's you see on E-bay. Any of them any good?

professionalcoyotehunter
06-29-2010, 8:35 AM
Here it is. get the MVP-4 and you will have 4 calls in one for all situations and they sound great. Ask anyone who has ever gone with me how it sounds. I wont ever hunt without it.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=Circe+Predator+call&_sacat=See-All-Categories

CSACANNONEER
06-29-2010, 3:01 PM
I agree with you Csacannoneer somewhat, but am not going to defend the fact I felt robbed for not seeing blood shed. Maybe clarify the fact that not seeing blood I felt the bullet did not do its job expanding and exiting. The coyote looked like he was not shot, but maybe playing dead? After a little input from my fellow Calguns gunners on the characteristics of the Hornady V-Max bullet, makes sense that this bullet did exactly what it was suppose to do. It does little or no damage to the animals pelt. Makes me wish I never posted this, each little word gets picked a part and analyzed / criticized. I am not a purest hunter like some. I just like to hunt, target shoot and in this case, helping a cattle rancher with a problem of predator coyotes killing some of his livestock.
P.S. I do like to see a good red mist hit from 100+ yards.

That I can understand. All it takes is one poorly worded statement to get the antis going. You do not need to be a purist hunter to understand and respect nature. Helping nature with population control is not a bad thing at all. Helping someone with their agricultural enterprise is also comendable. Hell, yesterday morning, I took my dogs out at about 5:15am and we all saw a male 'yote about 50 yards off. If it had acted agressively towards the dogs, I would have had no problem taking a shot at him. I always takes the dogs out armed for big cats, 'yotes and snakes. But, the big guy just saw us and took off. I'd rather have a couple coyotes around eating 3-5 mice per day than enough rattlesnakes to keep the rodent population down.

center_x
06-29-2010, 3:02 PM
I feel this picture is needed in this thread.....NO BLOOD :( but still in good fun :)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/center_x/fp.jpg

-disclaimer, I did, did not do this, depending on who asks!

daveinwoodland
06-29-2010, 3:07 PM
Wow everyone really went off on this post. Personally that's the way an effective round should perform. Out and through isn't neccessarily a desirable thing when it comes to maximum shock.

One reasons most professional assasins will use a .22 at the base of the skull, rattles all around kills the victim and doesn't leave much of a mess.

theseacow
06-29-2010, 3:13 PM
One reasons most professional assasins will use a .22 at the base of the skull, rattles all around kills the victim and doesn't leave much of a mess.

lol.

BamBam-31
06-29-2010, 5:25 PM
Wow, there are some serious over-reactions in this thread (as evidenced by the high degree of subsequent defensiveness thereafter).

OP, great job on the kill. Sounds like a clean and ethical kill to me. I'm sure the rancher appreciates your efforts. Keep up the good work, and don't pay any mind to the high horse "hunters code" mumbo jumbo posted above. :rolleyes:

CSACANNONEER
06-29-2010, 6:07 PM
Wow, there are some serious over-reactions in this thread (as evidenced by the high degree of subsequent defensiveness thereafter).

OP, great job on the kill. Sounds like a clean and ethical kill to me. I'm sure the rancher appreciates your efforts. Keep up the good work, and don't pay any mind to the high horse "hunters code" mumbo jumbo posted above. :rolleyes:

I agree with everything that you just posted. In fact, I have already stated that it sounded like an ethical kill along with everything else. I, for one, never said anything a a "hunter's code". Of course, it sounds like you feel that the OP (although he has already clarified his original post) and every other varmit hunter should feel the need to see blood. Doesn't that sound a bit sadistic and warped to you? I'm not talking about the satisfaction one gets from hearing the meat report of a well placed shot. Nor am I talking about the satifaction one receives when they properly read the wind, judge distance and watch a whistle pig disappear from 400 yards away. I'm only talking about someone who kills to see blood and guts. If you think that is the right way for someone with a gun to think, you need to seek help.

center_x
06-29-2010, 7:07 PM
I agree with everything that you just posted. In fact, I have already stated that it sounded like an ethical kill along with everything else. I, for one, never said anything a a "hunter's code". Of course, it sounds like you feel that the OP (although he has already clarified his original post) and every other varmit hunter should feel the need to see blood. Doesn't that sound a bit sadistic and warped to you? I'm not talking about the satisfaction one gets from hearing the meat report of a well placed shot. Nor am I talking about the satifaction one receives when they properly read the wind, judge distance and watch a whistle pig disappear from 400 yards away. I'm only talking about someone who kills to see blood and guts. If you think that is the right way for someone with a gun to think, you need to seek help.

This makes me wonder what you think of archery hunting. Archery has been one of the first forms of hunting, yet archery hunting basically relies on the animal bleeding out.

When I archery hunt, I want to see lots ans lots of blood. The more blood the better, that way the aniaml suffers less and dies quicker. Does this make me a sick person?? :confused:

CSACANNONEER
06-29-2010, 7:12 PM
This makes me wonder what you think of archery hunting. Archery has been one of the first forms of hunting, yet archery hunting basically relies on the animal bleeding out.

When I archery hunt, I want to see lots ans lots of blood. The more blood the better, that way the aniaml suffers less and dies quicker. Does this make me a sick person?? :confused:

That is responsible thinking. Feeling "robbed" because of the lack of visible blood on a clean kill is another matter.

center_x
06-29-2010, 7:36 PM
That is responsible thinking. Feeling "robbed" because of the lack of visible blood on a clean kill is another matter.

Hmmmm, that doesn't sound like what you posted earlier. You stated people are sick for wanting to see blood and guts. Your calling me and hundreds of others "sick" with your blanket statement.

Its a shame when people pick apart and bash others for such a simple post. I'd expect trolls in other forums, not the fishing / hunting forum.

It does make me wonder though, you stated the OP and others are sick, yet you state in other threads "If someone knocked on my door at 11pm with some story about needing gas money, I'd be renting a backhoe at 6am the next morning."

Makes me wonder who is a little "off tilt".

:lurk5:

CSACANNONEER
06-29-2010, 7:48 PM
Hmmmm, that doesn't sound like what you posted earlier. You stated people are sick for wanting to see blood and guts. Your calling me and hundreds of others "sick" with your blanket statement.

Its a shame when people pick apart and bash others for such a simple post. I'd expect trolls in other forums, not the fishing / hunting forum.

It does make me wonder though, you stated the OP and others are sick, yet you state in other threads "If someone knocked on my door at 11pm with some story about needing gas money, I'd be renting a backhoe at 6am the next morning."

Makes me wonder who is a little "off tilt".

:lurk5:

As far as my statement about someone knocking on my door at 11pm wanting gas money goes, you'ld have to know where I live, through a locked gate, 3 miles up a dirt road and then 1/4 mile of the dirt road. I'm a good ten miles from the nearest station. So, it would be pretty obvious that if someone was here, asking for a few dollars for gas, they would not have my health and safety in mind. I would do what I had to to survive. I would not feel "robbed" for not seeing blood and gut. It would make no difference to me if there was blood or not.

center_x
06-29-2010, 8:13 PM
I would not feel "robbed" for not seeing blood and gut. It would make no difference to me if there was blood or not.

And thats your opinion. Its a shame you trolled on the OP's thread and you didnt keep your opinion to yourself. Why do you need to voice it over a father who made a simple statement of him and his son having a great day together for fathers day with a question about the performance of a certain bullet?

tankerman
06-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Hunters code: If you shoot it, eat it. If you hunt for thophies, go for the penis enlargement instead. If you want to see what you bullet does, use a block of ballistic jell. If you like to see squirrels explode, get professional help.So how'd the enlargement work out for you?

mds2004
06-30-2010, 8:39 PM
Maybe clarify the fact that not seeing blood I felt the bullet did not do its job expanding and exiting.

Am I the only one that assumed he meant this from his original post?

Some of you really need to have better opinions of others. It seems like many of you have assumed the worst in him.