PDA

View Full Version : Ordering from out of state

frankm
06-20-2010, 2:18 PM
How does this work? Do you have to contact the local FFL before placing the order? I was looking at DDSRanch and the Saiga's are cheap. I see that they list Royal Loan in San Diego as a qualified FFL. So, I was wondering if I have to contact Royal Loan before placing my order for their permission, heads up, or whatever. Can you tell me how ordering out of state works?

MrPlink
06-20-2010, 2:21 PM
Always a good idea to contact the FFl you plan to pick up from first. If the seller has said ffl on file already it makes it a bit easier.

frankm
06-20-2010, 2:26 PM
Ok, so I guess I contact the local FFL about the order to make sure they are okay with receiving it for me, order the rifle from DDSRANCH, when it arrives, go to the local FFL and pay the local fee and take it home. What is a reasonable fee like?

toby
06-20-2010, 2:29 PM
You are correct just got my gun from another outfit, contact your FFL dealer they will get intouch with your seller and it's a done deal, some will give you their FFL and you send it to your seller and they will ship the gun to that FFL.

frankm
06-20-2010, 2:40 PM
What do they usually charge for this service?

toby
06-20-2010, 2:44 PM
It can run from as low as $30 all the way up to $100 so check with several and see who is the best for you.it only takes a phone call.

gunRfun
06-20-2010, 2:56 PM
I have even seen people charge 10% of the cost of the firearm.

mauser98k
06-20-2010, 3:07 PM
Unique Pawn Broker's in San Diego will also do a transfer. i believe their transfer fee is $75 though.

makes me glad i got my FFL so i don't have to do the tranfers anymore.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-20-2010, 3:12 PM
Here's what you do...

1. Contact your local FFL to see if they will do the transfer on that particular firearm. Some FFL's will only do transfers on certain "off list" firearms. For example, my local FFL has no problem doing transfers of off list AR type firearms from DD's Ranch, but he refuses to do transfers on off list AK type firearms.

2. Find out how much your local FFL is going to charge you to do the transfer. Ask them the total cost out the door including DROS. Some local FFLs will also charge you California sales tax on the price of the firearm, so you need to factor this into your cost.

3. DD's Ranch will need to have a copy of your local FFL's license on file. He probably already has a copy of Royal Loan's FFL, but if not you will need to ask Royal Loan to send DD's Ranch a copy. If you go in with a stamped, addressed envelope, some FFLs will give you a copy of their license to mail out. Others want to do it themselves, and might take a while to do it if they are busy. License copies can be faxed as well, but some FFLs prefer a mailed copy.

4. Once you are squared away with your receiving FFL, call up DD's Ranch and order the firearm. Be sure to mention you are a Calguns member since he sometimes has special pricing. You will pay him for the firearm at this time with your credit card.

5. When your firearm arrives at your local FFL, head over to start the paperwork and pay them all of their fees.

6. Wait 10 days and then go pick up your firearm.

frankm
06-20-2010, 9:52 PM
Thank you, exactly what I needed!

saber
06-20-2010, 10:08 PM
The previous posters did a great outlining the process. Here are a couple of items to make you aware of:

1.) Transfer fees will vary widely by FFL. In fact, you might end up paying more for the firearm once you add $75 or $100 to the price of the firearm. That means a $300 Saiga mail order is now a $400 Saiga.

2.) You may encounter an FFL that won't accept a rifle you are ordering. You may even encounter an FFL that will give you misleading information about the legality of a particular rifle. I know this happens since it has happened to me and I have seen a lot of posts where somebody says that an FFL told them that "such and such is illegal" (just insert AR, AK, Saiga), etc.

Please call ahead of time as there have also been several posts of my FFL won't accept my Saiga, AK, AR, etc and what do I do now.

I would also offer that I went through this though process with my Saiga and the cost of the transfer fees where enough that I found a local place that made the price differential not that much.

Good luck.

JohnFLand
06-21-2010, 8:48 PM
OP: since you are in the San Diego area, check out Gussler's in Santee -- VERY reasonable price for transfers. He's also a gunsmith.