PDA

View Full Version : Retired LEO giving me FUD about 1911?

Mono
06-20-2010, 1:29 PM
Fairly new to the madness. Started about a year ago. Since then I've bought my Sig P226 and I'll get my P220 combat outta jail in a couple days. I've also assembled a couple of ARs and picked up a 870. My question is a couple of OC gun shows ago, my buddy and I were visiting Steve Pham's booth and we were looking at a 1911 and the Sig 220. I guess one of his old LEO customers/buddy was behind the counter and I was asking him about the 220 vs. 1911. He basically said that he has known so many LEO shooting their leg or foot with the 1911. He gave us newbies the impression that 1911s were unsafe and newbies were bound to shoot their leg off. I don't know if he was trying to sell the 220 for his buddy, but that ruined the buzz for the 1911. Recently, I've fired a Sig 1911 and the sweet Wilson Combat CQB. I don't know what it is, but a 1911 just works. I've never shot anything so accurate. So this has reawaken up my interest for the 1911 and I would like to know your input and/or experience with the safety factor of the 1911. Thanks in advance.

dieselpower
06-20-2010, 1:33 PM
this is a first....

NapaCountyShooter
06-20-2010, 1:35 PM
If you carried it loaded and unlocked maybe. Condition one half.

CSDGuy
06-20-2010, 1:35 PM
Welcome to the addiction... IMHO, in many ways, a 1911 can be an extremely safe pistol to own.

Malthusian
06-20-2010, 1:36 PM
Oh please
1911 was used in both World Wars. Has been in service for 100 years ( OK almost ). I believe the Marines blew off the 9mm and went back to the 1911. Nuf said

Wilson Combat CQB all the way

CSACANNONEER
06-20-2010, 1:38 PM
1911s are not "unsafe" but, many poorly trained people are. Too many LEOs who's only experience with firearms is work related, get a supriority complex and think that they are experts and professionals when it comes to firearms. They are not and their complacency can get them killed. This does not only apply to LEOs it can also apply to many keyboard commandos and SoF subscription holders.

In the end, anyone who shoots themself is the "unsafe" part of the equation. If a 1911 fits you and your needs, get one or ten of them. I'm down to 3 right now but, I would not hesitate to buy a few more if, I found any that I could not live without.

tuolumnejim
06-20-2010, 1:44 PM
1911s are not "unsafe" but, many poorly trained people are. Too many LEOs who's only experience with firearms is work related, get a supriority complex and think that they are experts and professionals when it comes to firearms. They are not and their complacency can get them killed. This does not only apply to LEOs it can also apply to many keyboard commandos and SoF subscription holders.

In the end, anyone who shoots themself is the "unsafe" part of the equation. If a 1911 fits you and your needs, get one or ten of them. I'm down to 3 right now but, I would not hesitate to buy a few more if, I found any that I could not live without.

^^^ That right there, I'm sick to death of people who know nothing of firearms that badmouth a 1911.

Marlin Hunter
06-20-2010, 1:55 PM
... I guess one of his old LEO customers/buddy was behind the counter and I was asking him about the 220 vs. 1911. He basically said that he has known so many LEO shooting their leg or foot with the 1911.

... and I would like to know your input and/or experience with the safety factor of the 1911. Thanks in advance.

Watch this video

"I'm the only one professional enough to carry a Glock .40..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0

A cop drives around in a car all day. Do you think he knows more about cars than an auto mechanic?

A cop uses a radio all day. Do you think he knows more about radios than a ham radio operator?

A cop deals with the law every day. Do you think he knows more about the law than a lawyer?

A cop carries a gun all day. Do you think he actually knows anything about guns?

The US Military has used the 1911 in service for almost 100 years. Do you think they had people ACCIDENTALLY shooting themselves in the foot?

Buy the 1911 and be happy. Everyone should have at least one 1911 type handgun. Two would be better.

paintballergb
06-20-2010, 1:56 PM
Let me guess, did he say "I'm the only one in this room professional enough that I know of to carry this 1911"

paintballergb
Watch this video

"I'm the only one professional enough to carry a Glock .40..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0

A cop drives around in a car all day. Do you think he knows more about cars than an auto mechanic?

A cop uses a radio all day. Do you think he knows more about radios than a ham radio operator?

A cop deals with the law every day. Do you think he knows more about the law than a lawyer?

A cop carries a gun all day. Do you think he actually knows anything about guns?

The US Military has used the 1911 in service for almost 100 years. Do you think they had people ACCIDENTALLY shooting themselves in the foot?

Buy the 1911 and be happy. Everyone should have at least one 1911 type handgun. Two would be better.

I hate you.

People always beat me to the good stuff.

GSG222
Anyone who shoots himself with a 1911 has only himself to blame. 1911 is safe by design.

bodger
06-20-2010, 2:03 PM
It's not the gun's fault. Remember "Glock Leg" with the NYPD? Hence, the New York trigger.

A lot of those cops had only carried wheel guns before they got the Glock.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-20-2010, 2:05 PM
My former agency had a locker room with a divot in the floor and a hole in a locker door - both caused by deputies who were HUA while handling their 1911s. A Navy ship that I was stationed on in the 1970's had a hole in the quarterdeck canopy from a careless watchstander's handling of an issued 1911.

We also had a chalkboard with a .38 hole in it... courtesy of a revolver, of course, in the hands of an Air Patrol reserve deputy. What was that rule? "No live ammo present when conducting dry-fire exercises?" Go figure.

Any firearm can be dangerous when handled negligently or complacently. If you own any single-action semi-automatic, you'd be wise to practice manipulation drills and pay a little more attention to safe weapon handling.

Don't let it stop you from buying and enjoying a 1911-pattern pistol. It is a time-proven platform. Ask Steve's retired LEO buddy how many officers he know managed to ND their double-action revolvers - that really takes talent.

Once A Marine
06-20-2010, 2:17 PM
Oh please
1911 was used in both World Wars. Has been in service for 100 years ( OK almost ). I believe the Marines blew off the 9mm and went back to the 1911. Nuf said

The issue pistol for the USMC is still the M9. The MEU(SOC) .45 is a special purpose item used by a select few.

flatovercrest
06-20-2010, 2:18 PM
Any firearm can be dangerous when handled negligently or complacently.

That.

M14 Junkie
06-20-2010, 2:37 PM
Fairly new to the madness. Started about a year ago. Since then I've bought my Sig P226 and I'll get my P220 combat outta jail in a couple days. I've also assembled a couple of ARs and picked up a 870. My question is a couple of OC gun shows ago, my buddy and I were visiting Steve Pham's booth and we were looking at a 1911 and the Sig 220. I guess one of his old LEO customers/buddy was behind the counter and I was asking him about the 220 vs. 1911. He basically said that he has known so many LEO shooting their leg or foot with the 1911. He gave us newbies the impression that 1911s were unsafe and newbies were bound to shoot their leg off. I don't know if he was trying to sell the 220 for his buddy, but that ruined buzz for the 1911. Recently, I've fired a Sig 1911 and the sweet Wilson Combat CQB. I don't know what it is but a 1911 just works. I've never shot anything so accurate. So this has awaken up my interest for the 1911 and I would like to know your input and/or experience with the safety factor of the 1911. Thanks in advance.

Gawwd! Shooting one's self with a firearm of any type means you are an idiot, to say the least.

That these idiots were supposedly in law enforcement, only reinforces my opinion of most of them...the young new guys anyway. Still, I'd have to call this guy a liar.

The 1911 design is still on top of the safe list, if not THE safest auto-loading handgun in existence.

psssniper
06-20-2010, 2:45 PM
Well maybe he's right.

I have so many holes in my leg and foot I lost count.......;)

Malthusian
06-20-2010, 2:52 PM
The issue pistol for the USMC is still the M9. The MEU(SOC) .45 is a special purpose item used by a select few.

Yup
I think it was one of your post I that I read.

I thought "all Marines were a select few"

Also

"Once a Marine always a Marine"

I have the utmost respect for the Marines

stormvet
06-20-2010, 3:10 PM
I have carried a 1911 for 20 years, no hole's in my leg, just got back from the movies(Toy Story 3-D)with my kids had a 1911 in a IWB holster condition 1. I did not spring any leaks in my right leg.

A firearm any firearm is only as safe as its operator. To fire a 1911 not only do you have to release the thumb safety but you have to depress the grip safety. So in order to have a negligent discharge with a 1911, you have to be much more negligent then with a Glock/XD type of handgun.

runninmike
06-20-2010, 3:50 PM

Yep, what he said. You got to be on a special fight team to get issued generally.
Used to be called SOCMEU, they flipped SOC(special operations capable) to the end of MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit) in the 80's. Only a few built per year, and only done @ PWS (precision weapons section), WTBN, Quantico-formerly called RTE shop (rifle team equipment) mos 2112 "Gunsmiths of the Corps".
That was my last duty where I eas'd Dec '93.

23 Blast
06-20-2010, 4:22 PM
I love that video of the dumbassed DEA agent who plugs himself in the leg with the Glock Fo-Tay. "I am the only one professional enough that I know, who can carry he Glock 40!" apparently God has a wicked sense of humor. Blew a hole right in his left hubris...

Oh, and a 1911 is a supremely safe gun. My XSE (series 80) has the greatest number of safeties on it of any of my handguns when carried with one in the chamber. Let's see: 1)Manual safety lever 2)grip safety 3)firing pin block. All three need to be deactivated, and then the trigger actually pulled, before the gun will discharge.

Rob454
06-20-2010, 4:29 PM
more people that live with guns everyday become complacent around them and eventually are one of the worse examples of safe gun owners. just because someone has a gun does not make them experts and just because someone owned a gun for a long time absolutely does not make them experts. Too many damn people tend to believe whatever falls out of the guys mouth weather that guy is behind a gun counter or behind a badge.

corvetteguy
06-20-2010, 4:36 PM
The Marine First Recon division are issued Kimbers I beleave.

gunsmithcats
06-20-2010, 5:51 PM
Marsoc has kimbers. I don't like kimbers but I have to admit they did these right

elSquid
06-20-2010, 6:24 PM
Yep, what he said. You got to be on a special fight team to get issued generally.
Used to be called SOCMEU, they flipped SOC(special operations capable) to the end of MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit) in the 80's. Only a few built per year, and only done @ PWS (precision weapons section), WTBN, Quantico-formerly called RTE shop (rifle team equipment) mos 2112 "Gunsmiths of the Corps".
That was my last duty where I eas'd Dec '93.

I saw this over on m4carbine. A crate of them waiting to be rebuilt...

http://www.berryhillguns.com/meusoccrate.jpg

Just for everyones amusement. :D

Image hosted by http://www.berryhillguns.com/ , who builds replicas.

-- Michael

norcal.xd
06-20-2010, 7:57 PM
just dont point it at your foot/leg.....lol.....

slick_711
06-20-2010, 8:07 PM
The Marine First Recon division are issued Kimbers I beleave.

Marsoc has kimbers. I don't like kimbers but I have to admit they did these right

No, they are issued GI 1911s that are built in Quantico. Kimber just sells their take on a replica.

Any gun is only as safe as it's user. That said, the 1911 has more safety features than most of the other guns on the market; and I've heard of more officers having NDs with Glocks than anything else (granted that's the majority of what they carry). Follow the four rules, it's that simple.

But hey, there's a reason the professionals always use the 1911.

sac-gunslinger
06-20-2010, 8:18 PM
Hmmmm, carried one regularly for better part of 10 years. That must explain why my right foot has been missing for 20 years now. ;=}

runninmike
06-20-2010, 9:03 PM
I saw this over on m4carbine. A crate of them waiting to be rebuilt...

http://www.berryhillguns.com/meusoccrate.jpg

Just for everyones amusement. :D

Image hosted by http://www.berryhillguns.com/ , who builds replicas.

-- Michael

there you go.... looks like they are procurring commercial rear sights now, we used to mill them on site via cnc -would cut 8 or 10 at a time and saved a lot of dough I guess. They were very similar to those sights on the pistols shown in your post and near indestructible but not Marine proof:). Thanks for sharing the pict... flooding good memories now!

Mono
06-20-2010, 9:04 PM
Thanks for the input guys. The retired LEO's statement has been lingering out and keeping my from my one true love: The 1911. Now which wench should I buy? hehe.

IrishPirate
06-20-2010, 9:09 PM
guns aren't unsafe....people are unsafe. Just because you wear a badge doesn't mean you know jack sh*t about guns. I'm sure if you carried an old 1911 cocked with a round in the chamber and started jumping over fences and such you might shoot yourself in the leg...but is that the gun's fault or yours for not carrying it the right way? get a 1911....then get a few more. You're right, they are accurate as you can hope for, and a beautiful piece of history.

elSquid
06-20-2010, 9:38 PM
there you go.... looks like they are procurring commercial rear sights now, we used to mill them on site via cnc -would cut 8 or 10 at a time and saved a lot of dough I guess. They were very similar to those sights on the pistols shown in your post and near indestructible but not Marine proof:). Thanks for sharing the pict... flooding good memories now!

That really is a great pic, isn't it? Made me smile!

I'm certainly not an expert on them, but my understanding is that they've evolved over time depending upon parts availability, etc.

BTW, the thread is here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50280

If you want to jump in and provide comments based on your experiences working on them, I'm certain that you'll find a very receptive audience!

-- Michael

punisheryayarea
06-21-2010, 8:32 AM
Oh please

Don't know about the Marines going back to the 1911, I have 5 friends in the Marines all have different duty's and all have a US Berretta 9mm strapped to there leg (maybe spl. ops or something, have the option to change to a 1911)......

To the Op I own some 1911's and Sig's it's all on whats make you feel better, and shoot better.....

M47_Dragon
06-21-2010, 9:02 AM
I've holstered and drawn a cocked & locked 1911 hundreds, if not thousands of times (IDPA) and I've never shot myself. :cool2:

ap3572001
06-21-2010, 9:26 AM
I have been using a Glock on and off duty for the last 17 years. Also , used Beretta, HK, Sig, DA Revolver.

Used and use them off duty too.

I own 4 1911's in 45acp. Those are my fovorite pistols to shoot for fun.

Any handgun can be unsafe.

We can talk forever about DA revolver VS, SA Semi VS. DA Semi. VS Glock ETC.

From what I have seen 1911 is not for everybody. I tell You more, an automatic is not for everybody.

I see how people handle handguns at the range on the weekends......

Even a revolver can be very unsafe is a person does not know what they are doing.

JTROKS
06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
You have to understand the mechanical function of each pistol. The Sig has a decocker and the slide lock/stop, when the hammer is cocked chamber loaded it is ready to fire single action with no safety lever to put it on safe unless you decock it. A 1911 with the hammer cocked chamber loaded has the safety lever to put it on safe and you can tuck it in your holster safely in this mode, because once you holster it the grip safety is another safety feature preventing the trigger from being pulled. Some folks tend to become bias towards a pistol they are very familiar of, making any other design unsafe or obsolete. Sigs (220/226) are very good pistols, most Sigs I've shot tend to have accuracy better than most out of the box pistols, that's just Sig quality. I still vote for the 1911 no matter who makes it, it simply works for me.

M1A Rifleman
06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
He may be informing you of his own fears :rolleyes:. The only supposed safety issues with older 1911's without the fire pin lock is they could go off if dropped, however, this is a concern with many older weapons.

erikdjs
06-21-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm sure if you carried an old 1911 cocked with a round in the chamber and started jumping over fences and such you might shoot yourself in the leg...but is that the gun's fault or yours for not carrying it the right way?

Cocked & locked is the universal way to carry a 1911.

I don't know how jumping over fences would unlock the thumb safety, and simultaneously depress the grip safety while squeezing the trigger... all while in the holster.

Regarding broken or malfunction parts, that is still user negligence in my book. If I drive around with broken breaks it's my own fault if I get into a collision. I should have serviced, repaired, practiced, tested, been aware of my car OR gun.

Pryde
06-21-2010, 12:10 PM
No, they are issued GI 1911s that are built in Quantico. Kimber just sells their take on a replica.

Wrong, MARSOC Det 1 is issued Kimber 1911s.

Ultimate
06-21-2010, 1:16 PM
It is not the 1911 platform that is unsafe.

It is that it requires more thought and training because it is less forgiving of stupid mistakes.

Lets say for example you have DA/SA P220 in a holster with the hammer down you could carry it all day and when drawing you could stupidly stick your finger in the trigger guard and pull the firearm out without much chance of ND because of the heavy 10 lb pull.

On a 1911, if you carry it like it supposed to be carried "cocked and LOCKED", the chances of the above happening is even LESS likely.

However say you forget to put the safety on and still wrongly put your finger on the trigger. Say bye bye to a piece of your leg. The same would apply to doing the same on a SAO Sig P220.

Basically all firearms require a high level of respect and training. Just some firearms will allow you to be an idiot more than others in certain scenarios.

Edge
06-21-2010, 1:26 PM
The 1911 has a lever safety on the slide and a grip safety. Most firearms do not have this redundancy. In order to shoot your leg, I imagine these cowboys are keeping them in their holsters with one in the chamber, the slide safety disengaged, and they're pulling them out of the holster with their finger on the trigger.

Not very smart.

PatriotnMore
06-21-2010, 2:03 PM
Bottom line, all guns are dangerous in the wrong hands, anyone who shoots them-self, or causes a ND, broke rule 1. Keep your finger off the trigger till ready to shoot.

The first and last safety is the trigger finger. All problems on modern pistols are operator error, not safe or unsafe guns. To talk crap on a 1911 for being unsafe is silly, if someone is unsafe with a 1911, they will be equally unsafe with any pistol you put in their hand.

rojocorsa
06-21-2010, 3:10 PM
Fairly new to the madness. Started about a year ago. Since then I've bought my Sig P226 and I'll get my P220 combat outta jail in a couple days. I've also assembled a couple of ARs and picked up a 870. My question is a couple of OC gun shows ago, my buddy and I were visiting Steve Pham's booth and we were looking at a 1911 and the Sig 220. I guess one of his old LEO customers/buddy was behind the counter and I was asking him about the 220 vs. 1911. He basically said that he has known so many LEO shooting their leg or foot with the 1911. He gave us newbies the impression that 1911s were unsafe and newbies were bound to shoot their leg off. I don't know if he was trying to sell the 220 for his buddy, but that ruined the buzz for the 1911. Recently, I've fired a Sig 1911 and the sweet Wilson Combat CQB. I don't know what it is, but a 1911 just works. I've never shot anything so accurate. So this has reawaken up my interest for the 1911 and I would like to know your input and/or experience with the safety factor of the 1911. Thanks in advance.

Oh please.

elSquid
06-21-2010, 3:25 PM

The ICQB.

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/200312-SOCOM.pdf

This, of course, is different from Apple's close combat weapon, the iCQB.

Ok, bad joke.

-- Michael

civilsnake
06-21-2010, 3:40 PM
If I were to guess, I'd say that these officers were incorrectly deactivating the safety just prior to or during the initial draw from the holster, and then resting their fingers on the trigger while drawing.

It's easy to remind people what it means to carry "condition 1", but it takes a lot more hammering to get them to remember that you don't deactivate the thumb safety until your pointing at your target. It's very easy to imagine a target practice situation where an officer decides (for simplicity) to flick off the safety still in the holster to get it out of the way. I can see a similar action is a stressful situation where an officer thinks their life might be in danger; they get very nervous and decide to take it off safe as they approach a high risk situation.

I wouldn't take the person's story to simply mean "1911s are unsafe". There are plenty of reasons that a person could accidentally shoot themselves with a 1911, and all of them amount to a lack in training or understanding.

BunnySlayer
06-21-2010, 4:49 PM

Definately +1 on this. Most Police do not have the training and skill level neccessary to carry a 1911. Nothing against them but most cops are not shooters except when they are required to be and the 1911 is a shooters pistol. It's a wonderful shooter but can be unforgiving of stupid handling practices. theres nothing unsafe about the gun if you receive proper training and practice same. With the exception of the lighter trigger, 1911 pistols have more built in safety features than Glocks.

Pryde
06-21-2010, 9:03 PM
Definately +1 on this. Most Police do not have the training and skill level neccessary to carry a 1911. Nothing against them but most cops are not shooters except when they are required to be and the 1911 is a shooters pistol. It's a wonderful shooter but can be unforgiving of stupid handling practices. theres nothing unsafe about the gun if you receive proper training and practice same. With the exception of the lighter trigger, 1911 pistols have more built in safety features than Glocks.

Depends what 1911 you are talking about and what safety features. One thing about the standard GI 1911 is that there is no FP safety. Therefore there is nothing in place to prevent the firing pin from hitting the primer of a chambered round should the pistol take a strong impact. Many modern 1911 manufacturers have corrected this deficiency by installing a FP safety (Kimber, Colt) or in the case of Springfield, using a lighter firing pin with a stronger spring.

FWIW, the SOP for carrying a 1911 in the military when it was issued was condition 3. I'm not saying that a cocked/locked 1911 is inherently unsafe, I'm just saying that I personally don't consider it safer than a Glock. (No matter how hard you abuse it, there's no way a glock is going to fire unless your booger hook is on the trigger)

pyromensch
06-21-2010, 9:50 PM
^^^ That right there, I'm sick to death of people who know nothing of firearms that badmouth a 1911.

relax, the retired LE was talking of experience, and that everyone that shot themselves, was inexperienced, or as stated earlier complacent, and "familiar", with the firearm

pyromensch
06-21-2010, 9:53 PM
Bottom line, all guns are dangerous in the wrong hands, anyone who shoots them-self, or causes a ND, broke rule 1. Keep your finger off the trigger till ready to shoot.

The first and last safety is the trigger finger. All problems on modern pistols are operator error, not safe or unsafe guns. To talk crap on a 1911 for being unsafe is silly, if someone is unsafe with a 1911, they will be equally unsafe with any pistol you put in their hand.

BLACKHAWK DOWN, this is my safety, sir.

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-21-2010, 10:02 PM

not just kimber but colt also i think. at the last Miramar Air Show i was talking with some gentlemen at one of the MEU booths, probably 1st MEU. and he said they are getting quite a few 1911's reissued and the one they had there was a colt if i remember.

1911 is probably one of the safest pistols to use. even me being a begginer pistol shooter using a Blackhawk Serpa i some how manage to not shot my self. but thats just practice.

kimber_ss
06-22-2010, 12:54 AM
If you train and use common sense the 1911 will be a very safe choice. Just watch out for that hot spent brass going down the back of your shirt from the shooter to the left of you at the range.:rolleyes:

darksands
06-22-2010, 9:54 AM

User error. Just don't make any of them. 1911's are great. Now where is that video of that LEO shooting himself in the foot demonstrating gun saftey... That was a Glock right?