PDA

View Full Version : Need clarification, help.

Abesnake
06-20-2010, 9:35 AM
I'm in a dispute with a friend, I need to know if an altered weapon can be used for hunting. What I mean more specifically is, if you saw off the barrel of a shotgun (which is really stupid for several reasons) or shorten the stock, then, is it still legal to use for hunting?

Blue
06-20-2010, 9:38 AM
I dunno, is it short enough to land you in prison just for owning it?

bigboarstopper
06-20-2010, 9:51 AM
Basically has the gun been shortened below legal standard?

toby
06-20-2010, 9:51 AM
In some cases it can be illegal? and others no, the Regulations booklet discuses this and you can also get info online just what kind of weapon and or alterations are you talking about? or just any in general?

Big Jake
06-20-2010, 10:18 AM
You need to post very specific information to get answers. Length of shotgun barrel. folding vs. not folding stock. quantity of rounds tube holds on modified shotgun, etc!

LloydXmas250
06-20-2010, 10:46 AM
As far as I know and have read you can use any weapon for hunting in CA as long as the gun is CA legal. However there are rules on ammo for example, no more than three shells in a shotgun should be able to fit. Also, there are rules about not shooting birds with rifles but in using a specific gun I'm pretty sure it just has to be a legal CA firearm.

Bearclaw
06-20-2010, 11:39 AM
No matter what you did (or didn't) do....as long as the gun is still in a "california legal" configuration and does not violate the California Penal Code in any way....then you can hunt with it. If it's not, then you can't. Also, if it's a shotgun it is limited to 2+1 capacity. No limit on rifle capacity - as long as any and all mags. are california legal.

Abesnake
06-20-2010, 6:07 PM
My friend is a 4'10" lady and she bought a Mossberg Persuader 590. I can hear you all laughing through the keyboard. I don't know why she chose it or who she got it from. She wants to go hunting with it as well as shoot trap. I think she wants to get a new stock, because it's obviously to big and bulky. Someone told her to have the stock cut down and shoot it on her hip like Clint Eastwood might. LOLOLOLOLOL She may want to cut the barrel, too, and get rid of some weight. What I know is if that is done it becomes more erratic, because the field won't be tight and she may hit something unintended or just wound an animal. That would be terrible. I read somewhere you can't alter a weapon in California for hunting. So I thought I would ask. Any thoughts?

bigboarstopper
06-20-2010, 6:27 PM
Sounds like she needs a firearm safety course and probabally the hunter safety course. Thoughts of a small woman shooting at game from her hip with a chokeless sawed off shotgun paints a poor picture of firearm safety. Her ideas of hunting and weapons seem a little outside of the norm. Possibly an education might bring her back to her sences.

pieeater
06-20-2010, 6:43 PM
Tell her needs to get up at 230 am to get to the hunting spot. That seems to turn a lot of them off. lol

Fjold
06-20-2010, 6:49 PM
Yes, as long as you don't make a SBS out of it or shorten the overall length below 26"

Abesnake
06-20-2010, 7:34 PM
Tell her needs to get up at 230 am to get to the hunting spot. That seems to turn a lot of them off. lol

Yeah, you guys are right, and I think I'll just be reeeeeal sick that weekend. LOL

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-21-2010, 8:49 AM
sign her up for a hunter safety course, and get her out in the field. The last thing we should be doing here is to push people away from our sport. Teach her the rules, looks like you need to freshen up on the rules, too. Would be a good learning experience for the both of you. We need to be ENCOURAGING more people into the outdoors and hunting.

junko p
06-21-2010, 9:31 AM
sign her up for a hunter safety course, and get her out in the field. The last thing we should be doing here is to push people away from our sport. Teach her the rules, looks like you need to freshen up on the rules, too. Would be a good learning experience for the both of you. We need to be ENCOURAGING more people into the outdoors and hunting.

+1 for me