PDA

View Full Version : OLL Question

LloydXmas250
06-20-2010, 7:55 AM
I already have an AR that I know is legal. My question though that I've never really found an answer to is why are some lowers on the list of banned weapons? Only things I can think of is they are a bit different a possible to modify into an automatic or they just had the rotten luck of being a prominent lower when they passed that law and got lumped together on that illegal list. Is there a physical difference between off list lowers and on list lowers? Thanks.

Blue
06-20-2010, 8:04 AM
Stupidity is the only reason.

xxINKxx
06-20-2010, 8:15 AM
Back in the day they tried to ban the AR-15 rifle. But they were too stupid and lazy and only got a handfull of the big well known reciever models listed. And that was that.... Good for us they passed a law that the list cannot be modified and no more AR-15 lower recievers can be added to that banned list. Companies still make lower recievers with different model names which will always be considered "off list"

All the lowers are pretty much the exact same quality and design, occasionally you will find a few brands (usually on the banned list, and some not) that are a tad more milled out in the area where the saftey is, and you can acually fit a full auto drop in sear in (i have an OLL that can do this, but oviously I wont since I will go to prison)

LloydXmas250
06-20-2010, 8:17 AM
Stupidity as in the politicians were just being stupid and drew names from hat or stupidty for something else?

LloydXmas250
06-20-2010, 8:20 AM
Back in the day they tried to ban the AR-15 rifle. But they were only stupid enough to get only a handfull of the big well known reciever models listed. And that was that. Good for us they passed a law that the list cannot be modified and no more AR-15 lower recievers can be added to that banned list. Companies still make lower recievers with different model names which are considered "off list"

So why don't all those manufacturers just change the name and they'll all be legal except for DPMS who got shafted with "all" after their name.

Blue
06-20-2010, 8:21 AM
Stupidity as in the politicians were just being stupid and drew names from hat or stupidty for something else?

Back in the day, there were only a handfull of big time AR builders so the politicians just banned them by name. The on list lowers generally arent any different than the off list lowers.

Blue
06-20-2010, 8:23 AM
So why don't all those manufacturers just change the name and they'll all be legal except for DPMS who got shafted with "all" after their name.

They could. But you still would have to make a legal build out of it, with a bullet button or go featureless. I want to say that a RRA LAR-15 is an example.

xxINKxx
06-20-2010, 8:24 AM
No idea. I dont think most companies care to go outa there way to make a whole new model name of there reciever just to help out california and our rediculous pointless laws. Doesnt really matter, The only thing different then the banned ones and current OLL is just bragging rights and cool factor of having the name. Same quality

I think my JD machine (proudly made in CA) is one of the nicest lowers ive gotten, and only cost a measly $89 bucks too

Blue
06-20-2010, 8:26 AM
No idea. I dont think most companies care to go outa there way to make a new model name of there reciever just to help out california and our rediculous pointless laws

California has A LOT more gun owners than you think.

xxINKxx
06-20-2010, 8:29 AM
California has A LOT more gun owners than you think.

I never said anything about how many gun owners we had. Just saying alot of manufactures and websites dont care to be CA friendly and help us out. Its pretty common sense that companies are slowly stopping sales to us just because of our strict gun laws and they would rather not deal with getting in the middle of it.

bjl333
06-20-2010, 8:48 AM
Just ignore the listed lowers and get all the offlist ones. Politicians will always be politicians, they are always on the lookout for new ways to screw citizens out of their freedoms.

LloydXmas250
06-20-2010, 9:43 AM
Just ignore the listed lowers and get all the offlist ones. Politicians will always be politicians, they are always on the lookout for new ways to screw citizens out of their freedoms.

I wouldn't ever buy an on list lower. Just stinks for those companies that got sucker punched back then. Makes no sense why those are still illegal when the very same things are available for purchase using a bullet button or a featureless build. Is CA the only state with a list of illegal lowers?

Ron-Solo
06-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Good for us they passed a law that the list cannot be modified and no more AR-15 lower recievers can be added to that banned list. Companies still make lower recievers with different model names which will always be considered "off list"

Not 100% correct. The law prohibits the CA DOJ from adding additional receivers to the banned list, but the legislature can add additional receivers to the list thru legislation.

Then we would have a window where the state would be required to allow us to register them as evil "Assault Weapons" and remove the bullet buttons and such.

The OLL makers will just change the name of their lowers again now that the barn door has been opened, making the addition of recievers to the list a waste of time. It would be an endless circle and the anti's don't want us to be able to register anything.

bigthaiboy
06-20-2010, 11:58 PM
I already have an AR that I know is legal. My question though that I've never really found an answer to is why are some lowers on the list of banned weapons? Only things I can think of is they are a bit different a possible to modify into an automatic or they just had the rotten luck of being a prominent lower when they passed that law and got lumped together on that illegal list. Is there a physical difference between off list lowers and on list lowers? Thanks.

You answered your own question there. The ban list was drawn up 10 years ago, so alot has happened on the US AR-15 market since then, especially with the sunsetting of the Federal AW ban. Many new AR manufacturers and models have sprung up since, hence the reason there are a whole bunch of off-list receivers and complete rifles on the market available to us.