PDA

View Full Version : Question about bringing handguns to CA while on vacation

4P0X1
06-20-2010, 4:16 AM
I'm an Active Duty stationed at Elmendorf Afb, Alaska. I purchased few handguns and acquired a few from my uncle who was from Tennessee before he moved to Hawaii (I have a bill of sale for those acquired from my uncle). My question is: I'm a resident of California, but stationed in Alaska. I plan on flying back to California for vacation and plan on bring two hand guns with me (checking it in with my luggage). Will I have to register the gun or fill out any paper work in order to do that? Will I be able to open carry without a problem while I'm there?

Bobula
06-20-2010, 4:19 AM
No paperwork needed, don't bring any magazines higher then a 10 round capacity and open carrying in CA must be done UNLOADED, and will draw LE attention. I would not recommend it....

Quiet
06-20-2010, 4:22 AM
No paperwork needed, don't bring any magazines higher then a 10 round capacity and open carrying in CA must be done UNLOADED, and will draw LE attention. I would not recommend it....
:iagree:

Bobula
06-20-2010, 4:24 AM
Oh also, no threaded barrels if its a semi auto handgun.
Its hand to cover all the laws without knowing what guns you're bringing.

Quiet
06-20-2010, 4:29 AM
Listing what you want to bring, would be ideal.

You can't bring any handgun that is defined as an "assault weapon" or "short barrelled shotgun". So, listing what you want to bring can determine if they fit in one of those categories.

Greg-Dawg
06-20-2010, 4:33 AM
And don't open carry. It's still a very grey area...unless you're staying at a Starbucks.

Greg-Dawg
06-20-2010, 4:33 AM
Welcome to the site.

Malthusian
06-20-2010, 4:53 AM
You in what I consider a perfect situation. You can legally purchase handguns in any State you are stationed. With your Military ID and station orders you can by any off roster handgun ( that is not banned ) bring it back and pay $19 to register it in CA. Per above no high caps, The judge is off limits and any assault type weapons.

Follow this newgroup and find out which handguns are "not" available in CA. Buy a couple for trades or sale. Remember you cannot sell more then 5 per year. Buying and selling for a profit is frowned upon by the BATFE, but everyone is entitled to buy a couple of handguns and "not" like them later and sell them. Even LEO's purchase the occasional off list handgun and sell it to a friend. Opps sorry I meant, not like it 5 minutes later and put it up for sale.

elrcastor
06-20-2010, 5:25 AM
Check these out and make sure they are compliment.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

4P0X1
06-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for input everyone. The two handguns I'm bringing back are just my 44 mag revolver and a glock 17 w/ 10 round mag. I'm used to conceal carry here in Alaska, that's the only reason why I wanted to open carry while I'm in California. Also, which handguns that are on the not to be sold in CA list that everybody wants (popular demand of non available in CA).

Also, what do I have to do for the trade process? I do have a gun that my friend wants and he has a gun that I currently want.

1911Operator
06-20-2010, 12:53 PM
id like a rugel lcp or a sig p229 elite in .40S&W :) i was also active duty and thats how i got my light weight operator. I was stationed in GA, Ft Stewart!

4P0X1
06-20-2010, 12:58 PM
id like a rugel lcp or a sig p229 elite in .40S&W :) i was also active duty and thats how i got my light weight operator. I was stationed in GA, Ft Stewart!

Hahaha, i actually have a ruger lcp :43: That things pretty fun to shoot.

advocatusdiaboli
06-20-2010, 1:09 PM
Remember you cannot sell more then 5 per year.

I was under the impression there was no limit for persons who are roster-exempt. Can you show me the place in the reg where the limit is posted? Thanks. I thought one just didn't want to appear to be a dealer but that there was no threshold of transactions that made one a dealer per so.

not like it 5 minutes later and put it up for sale.

I believe you have to wait 30 days to re-sell.

Malthusian
06-20-2010, 1:18 PM
I was under the impression there was no limit for persons who are roster-exempt. Can you show me the place in the reg where the limit is posted? Thanks. I thought one just didn't want to appear to be a dealer but that there was no threshold of transactions that made one a dealer per so.

I believe Federal law limits handgun sales to 5 per year. I will look this up and amend this according
Heres what I found in another thread. Evidently it is in the California Penal Code. And the number is less then 6 hence (5) handguns. Also if the person is bringing guns in to make a profit with a quick turnaround it triggers the BATFE
See the warning "sticky" under private firearms sales

CA Penal Code 12070
(a) No person shall sell, lease, or transfer firearms unless he or she has been issued a license pursuant to Section 12071. Any person violating this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not include any of the following:
(4) The infrequent sale, lease, or transfer of firearms.
(5) The sale, lease, or transfer of used firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, at gun shows or events, as specified in Section 12071, and provided all the sales, leases, or transfers fully comply with subdivision (d) of Section 12072. However, the person shall not engage in the sale, lease, or transfer of used firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person at more than 12 gun shows or events in any calendar year and shall not sell, lease, or transfer more than 15 used firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person at any single gun show or event. In no event shall the person sell more than 75 used firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person in any calendar year.
A person described in this paragraph shall be known as a "Gun Show Trader."
The Department of Justice shall adopt regulations to administer this program and shall recover the full costs of administration from fees assessed applicants.
As used in this paragraph, the term "used firearm" means a firearm that has been sold previously at retail and is more than three years old.
(c)(1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, less than six transactions per calendar year. For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or transfer of any number of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person.
(B) For firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, occasional and without regularity.

I believe you have to wait 30days to re-sell.

Hum... your probably right. I read in a post an LEO could by a handgun and sell it you you shortly there after. No time limit was mentioned. So this OP would have to buy the guy 30 days before coming to CA or are we talking CA DOJ for a 30 day turnaround

4P0X1
06-20-2010, 1:20 PM
Here are the handguns I currently own:
-Ruger LCP
-Taurus 44 mag
-Glock 17
-S&W SW990l
-S&W M&P .45
-Springfield XDM .45

Cokebottle
06-20-2010, 1:26 PM
Also, which handguns that are on the not to be sold in CA list that everybody wants (popular demand of non available in CA).
There's a lot of them, but sadly, unless you will be establishing residency in California, you still can't sell your handguns to a California resident without them being roster-compliant.

4P0X1
06-20-2010, 1:28 PM
There's a lot of them, but sadly, unless you will be establishing residency in California, you still can't sell your handguns to a California resident without them being roster-compliant.

I'm still a californa resident, my home of record for the military is still california also.

Cokebottle
06-20-2010, 2:33 PM
I'm still a californa resident, my home of record for the military is still california also.
In that case, I'd like a dozen LCPs ;)

Malthusian
06-20-2010, 2:56 PM
Make that 13

Pretty Please

Also Colt Pythons are going for a pretty penny

Just use common sense when you start selling them. Bring as many as you can while you are still in the Military

Then when you complete your enlistment. Filter through and trade, sell etc to get what you really want.

You are in an enviable position

4P0X1
06-20-2010, 5:06 PM
I don't plan on trying to make a profit by buying and selling. I'm making a career out of the military and yeah, don't feel like doing anything that will end it. I plan on getting stationed in California next year, so maybe I'll just buy the off roster guns for the bling factor lols or trade em for a nicer higher end guns.

08duramax
06-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Here are the handguns I currently own:
-Ruger LCP
-Taurus 44 mag
-Glock 17
-S&W SW990l
-S&W M&P .45
-Springfield XDM .45

me and a large number of others here would like one of these

Quiet
06-20-2010, 11:37 PM
You in what I consider a perfect situation. You can legally purchase handguns in any State you are stationed. With your Military ID and station orders you can by any off roster handgun ( that is not banned ) bring it back and pay $19 to register it in CA. Per above no high caps, The judge is off limits and any assault type weapons.

Follow this newgroup and find out which handguns are "not" available in CA. Buy a couple for trades or sale. Remember you cannot sell more then 5 per year. Buying and selling for a profit is frowned upon by the BATFE, but everyone is entitled to buy a couple of handguns and "not" like them later and sell them. Even LEO's purchase the occasional off list handgun and sell it to a friend. Opps sorry I meant, not like it 5 minutes later and put it up for sale.
FYI.
Importing non-rostered handguns is legal, if the intent is to keep for personal use [PC 12001(n)(7)].
Importing in non-rostered handguns with the intent to sell them is illegal [PC 12125(a)].
Posting "what to bring to sell" type threads is showing intent to sell not keep.

4P0X1
06-21-2010, 8:07 PM
FYI.
Importing non-rostered handguns is legal, if the intent is to keep for personal use [PC 12001(n)(7)].
Importing in non-rostered handguns with the intent to sell them is illegal [PC 12125(a)].
Posting "what to bring to sell" type threads is showing intent to sell not keep.

I dont plan on selling them, since I would have to get stationed elsewhere again to buy them again hahaha. But I wouldn't mind trading a few off roster one if someone offered to trade for a nice handgun, say like a nice 1911 haha