PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a scope ring height.

Spyder
06-19-2010, 9:20 PM
Alright, I've got a couple of rifles I've built or put together in the last six months or so and I'm shopping for optics to put on 'em.

Any advice on how to choose proper ring height other than trial and error? So far, that's worked for me but I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on rings and have them not be what I want. I figure i may as well learn the right way to do it...

06-19-2010, 10:06 PM
There shouldn't be any try-n-err. You can read the specs of the scope and the rings to determine which is the right ones for your scopes.

tacticalcity
06-19-2010, 10:11 PM
A general rule of thumb is to mount the scope as low as possible without actually touching the barrel or handguard (depending on the rifle) in order to avoid height over bore issues. With some rifles, like G3 other issues come into play, such as the flaw in the rifles design that puts a traditional length scope in the way of the charging handle and thus G3 mounts are VERY high-up there.

On an AR with a 40mm front objective HIGH rings usually are sufficient to keep it from touching the front hanguards. While that same scope on say a bolt action Remington 700 works better with medium rings because the curved barrel gives you more room. If you have a 50mm objective, go up a size respectively. I came to this conclusion using Leupold Mark 4 Scopes and Leupold Mark 4 Rings and Leupold QRW and PRW Rings.

aaronraby1
06-19-2010, 10:12 PM
take the rifle and scope with you when you get rings.

IsaacGlass
06-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Consistent cheekwell position/placement on all your rifles.