PDA

View Full Version : append this to your good cause statement

dantodd
06-19-2010, 8:38 PM
I would love to apply here in San Mateo County (perhaps in my local city) and in addition to my more traditional good cause statement add the following.

I am an active member in a Second Amendment Civil Rights organization which is heavily involved in litigation to reform ownership and carry laws. In this capacity I am a target of anti-gun rights groups and feel that I am more likely to be targeted for violence.

Mstrty
06-19-2010, 9:22 PM
I am an active member in a Second Amendment Civil Rights organization which is heavily involved in litigation to reform ownership and carry laws. In this capacity I am a target of anti-gun rights groups and feel that I am more likely to be targeted for violence.

I like it

BKinzey
06-19-2010, 10:12 PM

I don't think that statement will help you and I see where it could be interpreted as you are grasping for reasons.

obeygiant
06-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Brilliant!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__jFgOqdirRY/Sp_3nME9y0I/AAAAAAAACkc/j0YBZw1s5vg/s400/brilliant_medium.jpg

wildhawker
06-19-2010, 10:57 PM
It may not help, Dan, but 10 points for the creativity.

Maestro Pistolero
06-19-2010, 11:23 PM
In this capacity I am a target of anti-gun rights groups and feel that I am more likely to be targeted for violence.

The stricken words weaken the statement. It still will be perceived as a stretch, but at least it's unequivocal.

Window_Seat
06-19-2010, 11:59 PM
I've thought of this in the past, and decided that for the red counties, you need physical and/or credible evidence of threats against your person or family members, no matter who it's from, including recorded death threats. You could say that the Brady's / LCAV harassed you while leaving a meeting, and they would call the head of the Brady chapter in CA, then it would be their word over yours (taken). They want specific incident logs & Police reports, neither of which you may have to back up your good cause. They are going by the 1977 Attorney General's opinion on good cause (http://old.californiaccw.org/files/ag-1977-ccw-opinion.pdf).

This is where I would like TBJ to chime in, and his advise would be that which I would take on this kind of agenda because he deals with this exact thing in his cases.

Otherwise, let's wait until after G. Hoffman, B. Wiese & the other esteemed legal counsel here at CGF give us the green light to apply for our CCWs based on GC being defined as SP and/or SD.

Erik.

Dreaded Claymore
06-20-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm Wiccan so I figure I can put down that Christian extremists may try to kill me...

Munk
06-20-2010, 1:49 AM
I'm Wiccan not of their ideals so I figure I can put down that Christian Idealogical-extremists may try to kill me...

Pretty much how i feel around anyone who is overzealous.

I kinda like this idea for good cause, but doubt it will actually fly.

jaymz
06-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Won't help. First of all, it could be percieved as "Gimme my ccw or else! Because I belong to a gun rights group and we take people to court!" Secondly, most people aren't going to think of anti-gun people as violent.

El Gato
06-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I've thought of this in the past, and decided that for the red counties, you need physical and/or credible evidence of threats against your person or family members, no matter who it's from, including recorded death threats.

Personally...living in Kern... I feel blessed... in other counties you basically have to be killed by your "credible threat" for the threat to be credible enough to get a ccw...nearly dead or mostly dead might earn you partial consideration if you carried alot of money and are/were famous...and you don't belong to the wrong sorts of clubs..... but irrevocably dead is about the only way to convince some agencies of the threat being credible...

and that really frosts my butt....

Window_Seat
06-20-2010, 11:15 AM
I believe there might be case law that protects Witchcraft under the category of religion for the purpose of employment discrimination, yes?

Erik.

RRangel
06-20-2010, 11:45 AM
That's sort of like the "good cause" statement in regard to Don Perata's CCW.

FatalKitty
06-20-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm Wiccan so I figure I can put down that Christian extremists may try to kill me...

you could where I live... freaking radicals

The Nomadd
06-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Not that I'm knocking your beliefs, but being Wiccan, wouldn't wanting to have a CCW & carry a gun contradict the Rede?
Of course, being Asatru, our outlook is if someone's trying to harm you or yours, they're fair game!

Bugei
06-21-2010, 7:43 AM
I would love to apply here in San Mateo County (perhaps in my local city) and in addition to my more traditional good cause statement add the following.

I am an active member in a Second Amendment Civil Rights organization which is heavily involved in litigation to reform ownership and carry laws. In this capacity I am a target of anti-gun rights groups and feel that I am more likely to be targeted for violence by law enforcement agencies.

What, would the inserted part be a problem?

Billy Jack
06-21-2010, 7:51 AM
What, would the inserted part be a problem?

Gentlemen, Do not tease the Bull unless you intend to kill it. You place weird statements in your GC and you are asking them to question you about them during your interview. If you desire to make them think you are a clown, please come dressed as one during your interview.

Another suggestion, do not tease the Bull if you desire credibility.

Billy Jack
'The Force is strong with this one'

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

NiteQwill
06-21-2010, 8:06 AM
Gentlemen, Do not tease the Bull unless you intend to kill it. You place weird statements in your GC and you are asking them to question you about them during your interview. If you desire to make them think you are a clown, please come dressed as one during your interview.

Another suggestion, do not tease the Bull if you desire credibility.

Billy Jack

You seriously need to lighten up. The OP's intent was sarcasm, at most.

goodlookin1
06-21-2010, 8:32 AM
You seriously need to lighten up. The OP's intent was sarcasm, at most.

I didn't read it that way....

NiteQwill
06-21-2010, 8:57 AM
I didn't read it that way....
Here

San Mateo, like LA County, is impossible to get a CCW. The OP's comment was in jest.

Billy Jack
06-21-2010, 9:04 AM
Here

San Mateo, like LA County, is impossible to get a CCW. The OP's comment was in jest.

More misinformation. LASO is doable. We have assisted applicants through issuance. Give them a good reason, they give you a CCW. Vast majority of the applications they receive are like fresh Buffalo Chips. Not in jest.

Brave is always calm and in control of self and surroundings. Those that say, don't know. Those that know don't say. Billy Jack

Billy Jack

NiteQwill
06-21-2010, 10:14 AM
More misinformation. LASO is doable. We have assisted applicants through issuance. Give them a good reason, they give you a CCW. Vast majority of the applications they receive are like fresh Buffalo Chips. Not in jest.

Brave is always calm and in control of self and surroundings. Those that say, don't know. Those that know don't say. Billy Jack

Billy Jack

Read: CCW for mere mortals.

Failure to read in-between the lines. The one-liners crack me up, I would hope that you talk like that in person.

-hanko
06-21-2010, 11:24 AM
In SM county, your 'good cause' statement needs to be combined with contributions to the sheriff's election campaign, and/or a good-buddy type relationship.

-hanko

Stealth
06-21-2010, 11:51 AM
In jest -- I think you could also add "Boston Celtics Fan" as well.

bohoki
06-21-2010, 2:29 PM
i guess you could say that you are an open carry advocate and wish to carry an exposed pistol but the law requires it to be unloaded which invites those who do not comply with the law to ambush me

so you need to carry a concealed loaded firearm to prevent the theft of the unloaded open carried one

curtisfong
06-21-2010, 2:31 PM
Give them a good reason, they give you a CCW.

My reason would be "self defense". I will not make up bogus "I'm in fear of my life because I transport blah blah bs bs" stories to placate the local Lord.

Let me know when that GC is sufficient, and I will do whatever you tell me to do in order to get a LA county CCW.

ETA: Money and time are not a problem. I have both. Also, I am persistent.

N6ATF
06-21-2010, 2:51 PM
"I transport bodily organs on a daily basis and fear they will be stolen and sold on the black market rather than transplanted in legal recipients."

Hey, it's not a lie...