PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried RWS 9mm ammo?

jdg30
06-19-2010, 6:56 PM
Just got back from Walmart. I haven't been there for a while and was surprised to see they had a rather large stock of basically every common caliber except .38/.357 and .45. They had a bunch of 9mm, .40, .22 bulk packs (gone up $3 ea from last year)etc. I didn't buy much because I'm pretty well stocked already and my next purchase is going to be reloading equipment to take advantage of all the empty brass I have accumulated. I'm tired of paying retail prices for ammo and dealing with supply and demand, plus, I just can't afford to shoot as much as I'd like without going broke and literally blowing all my money away.

But to the point of my question, they also had a bunch of RWS 9mm ammo. I was wondering if anyone has tried it, and if so, what do you think of it? Besides being a little heavier bullet than Federal, does it offer anything significant that would make it worth buying for $12.47 versus Federal for $9.47? Is it only good for target shooting or would it be good for self defense ammo too? Thanks.

gotime
06-19-2010, 7:02 PM
Supposedly it's "match grade". I had good success with it in terms of accuracy. As far as self defense, the plain fact it isn't HP would not make it a good choice.

evidens83
06-19-2010, 7:12 PM
If all they have is RWS, I'll take a few. Its very tough these days to find the Federal (in my case at least). I havent really noticed a difference between RWS and other range ammo like WWB or Blazer. And as for HD ammo, go JHP for sure dont skimp on your life!!

cyclenut
06-19-2010, 7:15 PM
From what I've read, it's good stuff. Burns clean and the brass is reload friendly. I have a small supply that I haven't used yet. Supposedly the actualy bullet sticks to a magnet (ive tried it and it does) so some ranges may frown upon it. The brass however does not take to a magnet.

Only reason I picked it up was because there was no other 9mm left. If I were to choose between the two, i'd go for whichever is in stock with preference to the federal as it's cheaper.

orangeusa
06-19-2010, 7:18 PM
It's a little more accurate (in some simple tests I did) than WW Federal and Winchester and a LOT more accurate than the Fiocchi I was using.

Not real scientific, but two handed shooting at 7 yards - two different times at the range, using two different guns... so yeah, theres something there.

And now RWS is OWNED by Fiocci. I believe it's still made in Switzerland.

RWS attracts a magnet - the jacket has iron or nickle of some kind. Bullet core is lead of course.

This has been covered quite a few times. But I buy a box or two, and buy the Federal for most of shooting at the range... :)

kaiserworks
06-19-2010, 7:19 PM
RWS is great ammo, but for punching holes in paper go cheap.

resident-shooter
06-19-2010, 7:58 PM
I was wondering the same. Thanks doodz ! :)

Greg-Dawg
06-19-2010, 8:06 PM
They're fine. My Glock17 eats them up with no problems.

adrenaline
06-19-2010, 8:15 PM
I just came back from the range today and had 100 rounds of RWS 124gr and 200 rounds of the Winchester 115gr. While accuracy seemed to be not much different from the Winchester with my H&K fullsize USP, I noticed sparks from the muzzle. My friend determined that the RWS rounds did not burn out completely and that it was powder chunks? Winchester rounds didn't do that. I decided I didn't like them compared to Winchester as it was a bit distracting.

EWILKE
06-19-2010, 8:19 PM
It is good stuff very clean.

professorhard
06-19-2010, 8:29 PM
Good brass

Rekrab
06-19-2010, 10:43 PM
I ran a box of it through an MPA Mac 11, felt fine. It also worked fine in a Sig 226 I wasn't shooting. It was also only 10~ dollars so I couldn't complain for plinking ammo.

hollowpoint
06-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I was at "the range pistol club" in Fresno where they check your ammo and they don't allow RWS because it will draw to a magnet. The employee pulled out a round and stuck it to a magnet tool they use when checking ammo. Sucks for my buddy who justed purchased 300 rounds of the stuff from wally world and was denied when he tried to take it to the range.

I know most ranges won't allow steel case ammo but I can't figure out why this ammo would not be allowed?!?!

Echidin
06-19-2010, 11:11 PM
I've also been wondering about the RWS 9mm since I saw a bunch of it at the Corona Walmart a few nights ago. It was virtually untouched, compared to the WWB and seemed pretty decently priced. I may have to make another trip, but knowing how fast their ammo goes I'm probably already out of luck.

Rigma
06-20-2010, 2:58 AM
I too have picked up a few boxes because I didn't want to leave Wally's empty handed once again, because there was no Federal...again.

So. I have found it to to be good ammo.

One other thing not mentioned yet that I like about it...SMALL BOXES. 50 round boxes are the most compact I have seen, so I have found myself preserving it and shooting my more recently acquired UMC, Winchester, Federal, etc.

On a side note. When Federal (or any other 9mm) are not found at Wally's, UMC 250 "mega packs" are a decent deal at BIG 5 when using the 10%/20% coupons found online.

AlliedArmory
06-20-2010, 3:06 AM
I shot 1 box of it in my G34 and its good stuff. Little expensive for my taste though.

sammy
06-20-2010, 7:25 AM
Good brass

It is great brass. Very stout. I picked some up that a guy was shooting out of a Glock. It resized much easier than most other brass that was used in a Glock. Lucky me lots of shooters use the stuff and leave the brass behind.

bogeyshooter
06-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Put 100 rounds through my Beretta yesterday - no problems. It was all wallyworld had in stock the day I went so I bought it.

jdg30
06-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I too have picked up a few boxes because I didn't want to leave Wally's empty handed once again, because there was no Federal...again.

So. I have found it to to be good ammo.

One other thing not mentioned yet that I like about it...SMALL BOXES. 50 round boxes are the most compact I have seen, so I have found myself preserving it and shooting my more recently acquired UMC, Winchester, Federal, etc.

On a side note. When Federal (or any other 9mm) are not found at Wally's, UMC 250 "mega packs" are a decent deal at BIG 5 when using the 10%/20% coupons found online.

That's funny because I thought the same way about the boxes; that, and the color. It almost made me want to buy some instead of the Federal just because I liked how tightly they are packaged instead of the bulky Federal boxes with the ammo rattling around in the holder. Kind of ridiculous but you are not alone!

bigthaiboy
06-20-2010, 12:48 PM
It's a little more accurate (in some simple tests I did) than WW Federal and Winchester and a LOT more accurate than the Fiocchi I was using.

Not real scientific, but two handed shooting at 7 yards - two different times at the range, using two different guns... so yeah, theres something there.

And now RWS is OWNED by Fiocci. I believe it's still made in Switzerland.

RWS attracts a magnet - the jacket has iron or nickle of some kind. Bullet core is lead of course.

This has been covered quite a few times. But I buy a box or two, and buy the Federal for most of shooting at the range... :)

Fiocchi (Italy) are purely the distributors of RWS ammo in the US.

RWS is owned by RUAG Ammotec of Switzerland. RUAG also make ammo under the names Geco, Hirtenberger, Rottweil and Norma. All these brands are known for their quality.

TBH, I can't imagine the Swiss making a half-a**ed product.

davy
06-20-2010, 8:17 PM
Just took it to a range (la puente range) today. They did not allow me to shoot the RWS and the WOLF steel case.

So I had to buy 50 rounds of pmc for $20 bucks there. Not too happy right now.

I can understand they won't let me shoot the RWS because it is steel tipped, but the WOLF is just steel cased? Since when are steel cased 9mm a safety hazard? Where am I going to shoot my bulk of WOLF now? *#$%

The guy even told me that shooting WOLF 9mm out of my glock 17 will hurt the extractor, chamber, and the barrel. I never knew this before. I thought glocks were tougher than this.

mike452
06-20-2010, 9:30 PM
Those a holes wanted your brass. Shooting Wolf brings them trash instead.
I had bad experience with that place years ago. Never went back!

Just took it to a range (la puente range) today. They did not allow me to shoot the RWS and the WOLF steel case.

So I had to buy 50 rounds of pmc for $20 bucks there. Not too happy right now.

I can understand they won't let me shoot the RWS because it is steel tipped, but the WOLF is just steel cased? Since when are steel cased 9mm a safety hazard? Where am I going to shoot my bulk of WOLF now? *#$%

The guy even told me that shooting WOLF 9mm out of my glock 17 will hurt the extractor, chamber, and the barrel. I never knew this before. I thought glocks were tougher than this.

jdg30
06-20-2010, 9:35 PM
I wouldn't worry at all about Wolf ammo hurting your gun. If in theory you shot a ton of it and it did damage the ejector or extractor of your Glock, you could easily buy those replacement parts for cheap and change them out yourself. It's simple, all you need is a punch to totally disassemble your Glock.

As for shooting the ammo, I would find a remote area if possible and fire away.

davy
06-20-2010, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't worry at all about Wolf ammo hurting your gun. If in theory you shot a ton of it and it did damage the ejector or extractor of your Glock, you could easily buy those replacement parts for cheap and change them out yourself. It's simple, all you need is a punch to totally disassemble your Glock.

That's what I told him in response, that was when he told me shooting steel cased ammo will damage the chamber and barrel of my g17.

jdg30
06-21-2010, 7:27 AM
That's what I told him in response, that was when he told me shooting steel cased ammo will damage the chamber and barrel of my g17.

Then like Mike452 said: sounds like they were just after your brass and you were bringing them cases they couldn't use. Don't see why they would be so interested in telling you how much it is going to damage your gun. Most people worry about their own stuff and not others'. I highly doubt it will have any adverse affects on your chamber or anything else. Maybe after an extended torture test with 100,000 rounds through it, but I would worry about that when you get there!

Shenaniguns
06-21-2010, 9:37 AM
It's good plinking ammo accuracy wise, but I had 2 Failures to Fire shooting them out of my M&P out of 50 rounds.

355mono
06-21-2010, 12:17 PM
During the ammo shortage, I picked up a couple boxes of RWS on sale at Big 5(it was the only 9mm I could find at the time). My CZ75 ate them up like candy; but I probably wouldn't do it again, RWS is pricey, and I didn't know until now it was bi-metal.

orangeusa
06-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Fiocchi (Italy) are purely the distributors of RWS ammo in the US.

RWS is owned by RUAG Ammotec of Switzerland. RUAG also make ammo under the names Geco, Hirtenberger, Rottweil and Norma. All these brands are known for their quality.

TBH, I can't imagine the Swiss making a half-a**ed product.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was fine on the RWS website, and then checked the Fiocchi website, and was very confusing....

usmc7
06-21-2010, 2:40 PM
Here you go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mqEVXosxzQ