PDA

View Full Version : Light primer strikes using Wolf 7.62x39

andrewj
06-19-2010, 4:41 PM
I've been having some issues using Wolf 7.62x39 in both my AK and Mini Thirty. I understand the Mini Thirty often has issues with Berdan primed commie stuff so the solution may just be using some better quality brass cased stuff. I know some other calgunners have the same issue with their Mini Thirtys so if any of you have fixed the problem using different springs, firing pins, ammo, etc, let me know! Otherwise, my Mini is just going in the attic so it stops taking up room in my safe.

But what really upsets me is how my AK wont shoot Wolf. I've used both the polymer and lacquered coated stuff. When I use the polymer coated rounds, I would normally have 4 or 5 light strikes per mag. When using the lacquered stuff, I'd have 1 or 2 per mag. I've used Brown Bear for a short amount of time. It seemed to work noticeabley better than both types of Wolf but still not satisfactory IMO. I plan on doing more testing with it though.

I thought AKs were supposed to gobble up anything I feed it. Do any of you have any issues with Wolf in your AKs? If so, how did you fix it? Does it sound like the problem lies with my rifle or the ammo? If you think its the rifle, what could be the issue with it? If you think its the ammo, could I just have a bad batch or something? What other ammo would you recommend? How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I am heading out to Barstow with a bunch of other calgunners in mid July so I'll be sure to bring my Wolf and see if they have issues with it in their rifles.

B&B Armory
06-19-2010, 5:06 PM
I've only shot wolf through my AK and have experienced no problems whatsoever, hopefully it's just a bad batch, which would still equivalate to a waste of money :(

try the brown bear. I've used the stubutane it shoots great, but it is very very dirty.

B&B Armory
06-19-2010, 5:09 PM
***I've used the stuff and****
(typo correction)

railroader
06-19-2010, 5:11 PM
If your having issues with both wolf and brown bear I would try a new hammer spring. They are cheap and if it doesn't solve your problem your not out too much. http://www.falconarms.com/xcart/product.php?productid=111 Mark

CSACANNONEER
06-19-2010, 5:24 PM
I only have two issues shooting Wolf in any of my AKs. I have pistol grips on some of my builds and, according to Ca DOJ, I should be able to fire from the hip without having to reload. Unfortunately, either my pistol grips don't work as Alison thinks they should or, Wolf ammo magically disappears. The second issue is that it is not as consistant as the surplus Yugo I shoot.

center_x
06-19-2010, 5:33 PM
Your not the only one. Wolf sucks in my 762x39 Ar upper. I get light primer strikes all the time with it. I use "MFS" in my upper. Cabelas has sales on it often.

base64
06-19-2010, 5:51 PM
I've shot a bunch of hand-loads from my mini-30 as well as Yugo surplus. The Yugo has rarely failed and never a light primer strike. The handloads using CCI primers are somewhat succeptable to a light primer strike IF I seat the primers too deep. Otherwise it wont happen but also I have a fairly new hammer spring installed.

andrewj
06-19-2010, 6:29 PM
try the brown bear. I've used the stubutane it shoots great, but it is very very dirty.

I plan on giving Brown Bear another shot. I'll pick up a box or two for my next range trip to test it but I'm not too convinced that it'll solve my problem entirely. More importantly, I'd hate to just settle on a certain brand of ammo for my AK (which looks like the best solution for my Mini). I want all of the ammo I throw at it to go bang. I dont think thats too much to ask out of an AK.

BTW, whats "stubutane"?

If your having issues with both wolf and brown bear I would try a new hammer spring. They are cheap and if it doesn't solve your problem your not out too much. http://www.falconarms.com/xcart/product.php?productid=111 Mark

Thats another possible fix I'll be looking into. Another member offered to let me try some of his spare parts on our next range trip. I have my fingers crossed on this quick fix.

Your not the only one. Wolf sucks in my 762x39 Ar upper. I get light primer strikes all the time with it. I use "MFS" in my upper. Cabelas has sales on it often.

Im going to look into this MFS stuff for my Mini Thirty. Some of the reviews say it worked flawlessly in their Minis.

JJ1911
06-19-2010, 6:37 PM
I've never had any issues with Wolf 7.62X39 in my Saiga. I would check your firing pin springs and see if something may need to be replaced.

ae13291
06-19-2010, 7:03 PM
replace your hammer spring

Notblake
06-19-2010, 8:11 PM
I hate to say this as I'm sure you have checked already, But clean and inspect your firing pin and breechface. make sure there is nothing that would keep the rifle's from cycling normally. I've had a little bit of crud really screw up primer strikes on one of my weapons.

telcolineman
06-19-2010, 9:41 PM
I would get a heavier hammer spring for your AK and mini, My 30 eats wolf & tula without issue

IsaacGlass
06-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Check your hammer spring on your AK