PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own or have shot the S&W 327 TRR8?

23 Blast
06-19-2010, 3:01 PM
Been intrigued by this revolver for a while, I checked on the turners site and it is California approved (at least until October this year), but have yet to see one in stores or frankly anywhere else. I know the hefty price tag contributes to this, but heck, I see pricier 1911's than that all the time.

Just curious if anyone has had the chance to handle one of these. What was your impression? Worth buying? Or better off sticking to the 627's? Seems like the options available for it would give it an edge over the less-modifiable 627's.

Spearo
06-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I was in the same dilemma as you about 2 years ago. Was able to handle both guns many times before I purchased.

Ended up going with the 627-5 over the 327 TRR8. The main thing that I considered is the aluminum alloy frame. That is going to make the gun a bit lighter, and you are going to feel more recoil when shooting .357 mag.
Also I really have no need for a rail on my revolver. Looks a bit silly too IMO.

Could not be happier with my 627-5. Great firearm, perfect balance and weight. Soaks up the recoil well, and is slightly muzzle heavy, just the way I like it.

Only thing I am not 100% satisfied about, is the quality of the trigger. The single action pull is nice. However, the double action pull is kinda long and gritty. I would have expected a better trigger from the S&W Performance Center with that price tag.
So, I do plan on having a trigger job done in the future. Other than that, I am happy with everything else. In addition, the stock wood grip is too small for my big hands. So I switched it out for the Hogue grip it came with. Also came with 3 moonclips, and a nice polished metal carrying case. Which I never really use.

23 Blast
06-20-2010, 5:44 AM
Thanks, spearo. Yeah, I kind of debated whether the rails on the revolver would be of actual use (kind of reminded me of the ridiculous bayonet attachments they have for Glock pistols), and figured I'd never need them, but also reasoned that it would be nice to have to mount a pistol scope, should the fancy to use it as a hunting revolver ever strike me.

I too was concerned about the scandium frame. I know S&W will tell you that it's just as durable as steel, but I'll be a honorary Missourian for that. Show me a torture test with a scandium frame revolver shooting full house loads and see how it holds up versus a steel one.

The 627-5 is the Jerry Miculek 5" barrel model, right?

nn3453
06-20-2010, 8:20 AM
IMHO, unless you are carrying, the scandium frame is a hindrance rather than a help. I agree with spearo. I had my 627PC worked on and now it has one of the best DA actions I've shot. The fit and finish was fine, but the trigger was on par with a base model. I'd suggest getting the cheapest 627 you can find and then either shoot it and see if it smooths out or get it tuned.