PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Help

neomedic
06-19-2010, 10:28 AM
If you can have only one high end 1911, which would you choose and why?

If you have others, please sugguest. Looking for something that has a rail for lights. Don't know if the following are on the CA list, maybe some of you will know on the top of your heads :43:

1) Springfield TRP Operator
2) Nighthawk tactical GRP Recon
3) Wilson Combat Tactical LE
4) Springfield Professional Light Rail

Black Majik
06-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Man, that TRP Operator is like a M3 hanging out with the Carrera GTs, Enzos, and LP640s. :D

The bottom three are great choices, but I have a soft spot for the Springfield PROs.

neomedic
06-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Yeah... I know. But if can get away with it and save a few hundred. Might as well try. =)

Legasat
06-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I voted for the Wilson, but if money were no object, I'd probably get a Wilson ;)

neomedic
06-19-2010, 12:17 PM
By the way....what are consider "good" prices for these? Especially the Springfield Professional?

leelaw
06-19-2010, 12:20 PM
If the roster isn't an issue, I'd get an STI 2011, either the Tactical 5.0 or Tactical 4.15.

Of the list above, I'm partial to the TRP Operator because of the heft, and that the extra cost for the other models doesn't give a correlatingly high performance increase.

NapaCountyShooter
06-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Out of those, Wilson hands down. Reliable, accurate, and waaaaaay out of my price range.

Cokebottle
06-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Of the list above, I'm partial to the TRP Operator because of the heft, and that the extra cost for the other models doesn't give a correlatingly high performance increase.
This.

They are all very nice tools.
Dunno about Wilson and Nighthawk, but you can certainly count on Springfield's customer service.

neomedic
06-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the input guys!! Keep them coming. I need to be sure of what I should get before putting down 3K for a 1911. I'll probably just have the one 1911 just to have one in the family.

1st5
06-19-2010, 1:07 PM
Wilson Combat. I've shot these and it was awesome. The only way I could buy one is to win the lottery or something like that. If I had $3k plus to spend that's what I would buy.

BluNorthern
06-19-2010, 1:12 PM
I'd love to have the Wilson, would have to sell off most of my guns to afford it though.

9mmepiphany
06-19-2010, 1:55 PM
if money weren't an issue and i also wasn't interested in bragging rights, i'd be very happy with the Springfield Professional.

you might find a TRP fitted as well as a Pro, but you'll know how a Pro will be fitted

ChrisTKHarris
06-19-2010, 2:10 PM
I would love a Wilson, but they're significantly more than that of a TRP. I'm on the hunt for a TRP as my first 1911, eventually I'd love to buy a Wilson, but as it is now I feel like I wouldn't be able to appreciate a Wilson.

Black Majik
06-19-2010, 2:27 PM
.what are consider "good" prices for these? Especially the Springfield Professional?

Geez, the reason I don't have one is because 1) they're difficult to get with long wait times 2) the people selling these on the classifieds mark them up so high I'd rather wait for a brand new one. I thought I was buying Gold or something. It's ridiculous how much people want for their PROs. Especially the used ones.

neomedic
06-19-2010, 2:44 PM
I was able to find a new Springfield Pro w/ rail at a shop for about $2800 + tax + DROS. But don't know I can find a few hundred cheaper online?

Geez, the reason I don't have one is because 1) they're difficult to get with long wait times 2) the people selling these on the classifieds mark them up so high I'd rather wait for a brand new one. I thought I was buying Gold or something. It's ridiculous how much people want for their PROs. Especially the used ones.

neomedic
06-19-2010, 2:45 PM
Looks like I'll have to be decide between the Wilson Combat and the Professional.

Any other railed 1911 to consider?

faterikcartman
06-19-2010, 2:57 PM
I think you have to pay a lot more money in the Wilson line to get one built with the same quality parts as the Professional. That said, the Professional still might beat the Wilson for accuracy. IMO. I own .45's from Wilson, Brown, Dan Wesson, and a Springfield Professional. Get the Pro. Pay once, cry once, no regrets later. IMO.

9mmepiphany
06-19-2010, 3:08 PM
not one of your choices, but if you'd like something more than a TRP but can't budget the Pro, the Dan Wesson is a very viable alternative

Bad Voodoo
06-19-2010, 3:17 PM
Wilson. Tight, smooth, balanced, accurate, and great people!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs524.snc3/29835_388129177842_500047842_4176160_6821742_n.jpg

TBH, it's the only one out of your choices I've had the opportunity to shoot (and own), so not sure how helpful my opinion is.

Good luck, and good shootin'! :D

neomedic
06-19-2010, 3:27 PM
Some pics for further consideration:

1) TRP Operator
http://sgcusa.com/images/large/SA_1911_TRP_Light_Rail_Armory_Kote_PC9105LP_A.jpg

2) Nighthawk GRP Recon
http://sgcusa.com/images/supporting_images_large/Nighthawk_GRP_Recon_B.jpg

3) Wilson Combat CQB Tactical LE
http://sgcusa.com/images/supporting_images_large/WilsonCombat_CQB_Tac_LE_Rail_Left_Side_B.jpg

4) Springfield Professional (Wished it had the front slide serration)
http://sgcusa.com/images/large/SA_1911_FBI_Custom_Light_Rail_PC9111LR_A.jpg

By the way....I love SCG!!!! Great people and great service =)

Old4eyes
06-19-2010, 3:40 PM
Smith & Wesson has two models with Rails
108303 - Stainless Frame & Slide (I have one)
108293 - Scandium Frame, Stainless Slide, Melonite finish. (I want one).

Neither one is high end, certainly cheaper than 3K.
The 108303 is on the CA list, I believe the 108293 is.

Of course they have external extractors, and to some that means they are not 1911.

BLD
06-19-2010, 3:47 PM
Of the 4 shown I voted for the Springer Pro. It's not on the list, but I'd try to get the Ed Brown Special Forces Light Rail. I have the standard one and it's awesome.

Ultimate
06-19-2010, 5:13 PM
I'd love to have the Wilson, would have to sell off most of my guns to afford it though.

Consider yourself lucky, I'd have to sell all of my guns and still wouldn't be able to afford one hahaha.

Exiledviking
06-19-2010, 5:22 PM
http://sgcusa.com/images/large/SA_1911_FBI_Custom_Light_Rail_PC9111LR_A.jpg

This! I am selling my Wilson CQB to buy the railed Pro. Then I will a superb pair of Pros. :D
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/Exiledviking/IMG_0017-1.jpg

bombadillo
06-19-2010, 5:44 PM
I honestly think you'll be really happy with any of them. How can you go wrong with any custom shop 1911. If you have to ask, you probably couldn't tell. This is also coming from a guy who couldn't find much of a difference from a Dan Wesson PM-7 to the lower end nighthawks, wilsons, and others.

neomedic
06-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Seems like a lot of people on the boards recommend the Springfield Pro, but votes show Wilson Combat. Hmmm...still having a hard time to deciding.

How hard is it to get a Pro? Is there a back order on these? And the Wilson Combat...back order or long wait time?

Thanks.

den888
06-20-2010, 6:40 AM
My vote is for the Wilson.

1911 gone wild
06-20-2010, 6:44 AM
Seems like a lot of people on the boards recommend the Springfield Pro, but votes show Wilson Combat. Hmmm...still having a hard time to deciding.

How hard is it to get a Pro? Is there a back order on these? And the Wilson Combat...back order or long wait time?

Thanks.

Buy both! ;)

Find a dealer that already has the SA Pro in stock, or there will be a long wait, from when placing an order to actually receiving it. Martin B Rettings, usually has them in stock, the last few times I've visited.

Wilsons are usually 6 to 8 weeks wait time, from placing an order, to actually receiving it.

It comes down to what features you really want on your 1911. Make your choice. You can't go wrong with both.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/markbmw535/ResizeofIMG_0360a.jpg
:)

9mmepiphany
06-20-2010, 7:57 AM

Thanks.

many folks who vote without comment, or even those who do comment, are voting for their favorite rather than speaking from experience...which is actually doing you a disservice.

while everyone has a favorite, thinking something is better isn't the same as having hands on experience to compare the two and offering a reasoned (or emotional) opinion.

the thing to remember about the availability of the Springfield Professional is that they are built in batches and the first priority of each batch is to fill existing orders from their FBI contract. any extra Pro models go to fill customer orders. Wilson doesn't have this constraint, they didn't get the contract

sirgiles
06-20-2010, 8:50 AM
Springfield Professional Light Rail

why? just because i shoot it the most.
its not really any better than my wilson classic, nighthawk predator or even les baer ultimate master.

neomedic
06-21-2010, 4:34 PM
Ok....looks like I'm leaning towards the Springfield Pro.

Now...to find one online or get it from a local shop which will add about $300 more for tax (but will be a sure thing since I get to see and handle it).

Capt. Speirs
06-21-2010, 7:22 PM
CHP loves 'em.

evidens83
06-21-2010, 7:40 PM
I've always lusted over a Nighthawk...but after seeing the SA Pro I think I have a new favorite.

stormvet
06-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Since when is a TRP a high end 1911. Just a good middle of the road 1911, but nothing special.

X-caliber
06-21-2010, 10:55 PM
No Ed Brown Option

neomedic
06-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Anyone have a link to the entire article / review of Springfield Pro by Combat Handgun Magazine (September 2007 issue).

This is all I can find.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/springfield-custom-professional-light-rail-45acp/

Tim0s002
06-22-2010, 12:22 AM
i voted for the nighthawk. i was in the same dilema as you. my first pick was the
springfield pro, but i didnt want to wait for it. second pick
wilson combat, it was really expensive. saw one at the stockade for like 3500
i went with the nighthawk because it was a good value of the three that i felt i could actually get. it was in stock and came with a surefire x300.
i really like the nighthawk, well balanced and accurate as hell.

i have a non railed trp and its not on par with the nighthawk, so of the pro, wilson, nighthawk, you cant go wrong.

good luck and enjoy what you get.

Hatchet
06-22-2010, 3:32 AM
I agree with BLD (above)... Ed Brown is the way to go. And for the record, I have experience with Wilson CQB's, but the one that I've hung onto is the Ed Brown SF...

CWUSCG
06-22-2010, 8:31 AM
A whole thread about 1911's, and no one mentioned a Kimber? :eek: I bought my dad a Kimber Eclipse Target. And that thing is smooth.

I'm in the same dilemma. Once i come back from deployment, I want to buy a REALLY nice, top quality 1911. I've heard great things about all the mentioned, but theres just something about that Wilson....

civilsnake
06-22-2010, 9:49 AM
I take it you are looking for one with a light rail.

If that's the case, I would go SA Pro.

If you can do without the rail, I'm really digging the C&S Trident. It's pretty much the opposite of a match pistol, but damn did it impress me.

sandiegogunnut
06-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Ok....looks like I'm leaning towards the Springfield Pro.

Now...to find one online or get it from a local shop which will add about $300 more for tax (but will be a sure thing since I get to see and handle it).

Go to gun broker. the shop in Texas have 2 in stock for 2647.00. I just got one. and find a good ffl did not charge you tax. :). It would save you $300.00 and you can use for ammo

faterikcartman
06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Seems like a lot of people on the boards recommend the Springfield Pro, but votes show Wilson Combat. Hmmm...

A lot of people own Wilsons or have heard of them. Very few, relatively, own a SA Pro.

faterikcartman
06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
A whole thread about 1911's, and no one mentioned a Kimber? :eek: I bought my dad a Kimber Eclipse Target. And that thing is smooth.

Kimber is not in the same League as guns like the SA Pro.

Dhena81
06-22-2010, 11:18 AM
I love me some top notch 1911 I really want to get one after I buy about 4 more top notch rifles.

X-caliber
06-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Kimber is not in the same League as guns like the SA Pro.

Blanket statement. Meh.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/products/pistols/customshop/large_gold_combat_rl_II.jpg

faterikcartman
06-22-2010, 2:47 PM
Blanket statement. Meh.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/products/pistols/customshop/large_gold_combat_rl_II.jpg

I was talking about the Eclipse model the guy was talking about, but I'll bite and say yeah, even the Kimber you posted isn't in the same league.

I like this quote from another board (everything after the asterisks):

1911s?

I have carried a 1911 everyday since 1981. As cop,SWAT and off duty.

I love and hate the things.

I have seen more great 1911s that would run all day everyday and never screw up than I can remember. I have seen even more screwed up 1911s

Kimbers to start with

The original ones where basically hand made pieces of art and ran real well. You find one buy it. It will just say Custom on side it wont have a "II" after it. They made them that way until they where just too busy and also decided to make the safety changes. The newer ones are iffy if they will work or not from factory. Heck I bought a Gold Combat II that would not hit a barn at 25 yards. I sent it back and they fixed for free but it always bugged me that I paid so much for a POS.

If the pistol is for hard use I would have a good 1911 smith replace a few MIM'd parts with the following
Trigger,sear ejector. get the Cylinder and Slide Tool Steal sets. I have these in one pistol with over 45,000 rds through it. MIM is Metal Injection Molded or poop to many.
Extractor. The factory extractors from most all the off the shelf 1911s are junk and soft. They will loose tension and cause the problem in this thread.
Slide stop. Replace MIMd POS with tool steal Wilson Bullet Proof model.

Magazines. Everyone makes 1911 magazines but not everyone makes good one. I like the Wilson 7 and 8 rounders best.

Have these things done and your pistol should run many thousands of rounds.

Dont do this and its iffy

Now I love my 1911s and mine are all good to go but if my old butt was to go off shore I would take a Glock or three instead because while the 1911 will shoot circles around a Glock for HRT work the Glock will work after you ahve wipped your arse with it.

Just my opinion.

Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

neomedic
06-22-2010, 2:54 PM

Now I love my 1911s and mine are all good to go but if my old butt was to go off shore I would take a Glock or three instead because while the 1911 will shoot circles around a Glock for HRT work the Glock will work after you ahve wipped your arse with it.

Just my opinion.

Couldn't agree more. 1911 are nice, very accurate and reliable if the are maintained. But if I was to be in a harsh environment without replacement parts or oil for maintenance for an extended period of time, I'm bringing a Glock 21SF.

But I still want a nice 1911 since a collection is not done till I have at lease one 1911 =)

X-caliber
06-22-2010, 4:22 PM
I was talking about the Eclipse model the guy was talking about, but I'll bite and say yeah, even the Kimber you posted isn't in the same league.

I like this quote from another board (everything after the asterisks):

1911s?
I have carried a 1911 everyday since 1981. As cop,SWAT and off duty.
I love and hate the things.
I have seen more great 1911s that would run all day everyday and never screw up than I can remember. I have seen even more screwed up 1911s
Kimbers to start with
The original ones where basically hand made pieces of art and ran real well. You find one buy it. It will just say Custom on side it wont have a "II" after it. They made them that way until they where just too busy and also decided to make the safety changes. The newer ones are iffy if they will work or not from factory. Heck I bought a Gold Combat II that would not hit a barn at 25 yards. I sent it back and they fixed for free but it always bugged me that I paid so much for a POS.
If the pistol is for hard use I would have a good 1911 smith replace a few MIM'd parts with the following
Trigger,sear ejector. get the Cylinder and Slide Tool Steal sets. I have these in one pistol with over 45,000 rds through it. MIM is Metal Injection Molded or poop to many.
Extractor. The factory extractors from most all the off the shelf 1911s are junk and soft. They will loose tension and cause the problem in this thread.
Slide stop. Replace MIMd POS with tool steal Wilson Bullet Proof model.
Magazines. Everyone makes 1911 magazines but not everyone makes good one. I like the Wilson 7 and 8 rounders best.
Have these things done and your pistol should run many thousands of rounds.
Dont do this and its iffy
Just my opinion.
Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Agree that a glock is better for harsh type conditions and minimal maintenance...but the thread is about which 1911 the OP should look at.

Someone said "what about Kimbers". That is why I posted a nice rail model Kimber for the OP to see. Don't know if you're one of the people who are not impressed with Kimbers and maybe 1911s in general?. If so, that's cool. I have had nothing but good experiences with mine and it has run flawlessly since day one. But to each their own..AND I do agree that production guns aren't in the same league as custom or rare model guns (even early model Kimbers).

Personally, if I was looking at high end 1911s I would look no further than Ed Brown. I'd love me some Ed Brown Kobra Carry.

Black Majik
06-22-2010, 4:32 PM
In this case, faterikcartman is correct. Kimber's flagship guns don't compare.

neomedic
06-22-2010, 6:33 PM
LAPD SWAT choose the Kimber Custom TLE II. I don't know if it was a financial decision, but I gotta believe that for HRT work, they could of done a little better. Kimbers are nice and have a niche, but I think LAPD SWAT should of went another direction.

faterikcartman
06-22-2010, 6:48 PM
Guys, the Glock comment was made by someone else who I was quoting. That person was also sharing his experience with a Kimber Combat Gold like the one X-Caliber posted. It appears a rushed reading of my post led to some being confused. X-Caliber, my comments and the salient portions of the post I quoted are, in fact, about 1911s. I do, by the way, sleep by an Ed Brown Special Forces, and have a Kobra Carry in the safe. I feel that my similarly configured Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander was better finished, IMO. Surprisingly. I also have a Wilson, an SA Professional, and perhaps some others I'm forgetting so I'm all over the 1911s. I only own one Glock and my wife has one. YMMV. As for the LAPD, I don't know what kind of deal they got from Kimber, nor what they were looking for when spec-ing out their pistol. I assume the Kimber they chose met the nexus of features and budget they were looking for. One interesting aspect of the SA Pro is that if you have women in the unit that is issued a Pro I think there will be some that the female officer simply lacks the upper body strength to operate new out of the box. YMMV.

X-caliber
06-22-2010, 8:05 PM
Word...wasn't trying to argue or anything, was just sayin ;) I love my Kimber ..haha. I understood that was a quote of someone else you had posted.

Speaking of what you said about your DW CBOB, they are awesome. Would probably buy one before getting the Kobra carry..and save a few $$ in the process. Some guy in the 1911 forum has one refinished in duracoat with some amazing DW grips on it. It is absolutely gorgeous!

EDIT: Found it..

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/imokah/CBOB_a.jpg
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/imokah/CBOB_b.jpg
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/imokah/grip.jpg

rafael0520
06-27-2010, 7:04 PM
Colt Gold cup Series 70. Period.

brjohnson3
06-28-2010, 9:44 PM
I like the ed brown sf it is a great quality gun just awesome, also les baer makes sweet 1911 very tightly fitted it is another option. shot them and think they are well worth the money.

throwbricks
06-29-2010, 7:36 AM
Les Baer Custom Carry.

neomedic
07-10-2010, 3:43 PM
Thanks for all the input. I really like the Springfield Pro :2guns:

Ventura_Yak'r
07-11-2010, 8:42 AM
My vote...

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/ruwako/Springfield%20Pro-LR/000_0052.jpg

mrlightning559
07-11-2010, 11:24 AM
I like the Ed brown sf awesome gun I just got into the 1911 game waiting to get my colt out of jail

Colt
07-11-2010, 2:24 PM
I've shot all of your choices. Of those, I'd go with Springer Pro.

But - this is my favorite high end 1911:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p258/EchoBravoKilo/GCNM/82019fc5-1.jpg

neomedic
07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I went with this:
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx222/neo-medic/NoSerial.jpg

Thanks for all the inputs!!!!

Black Majik
07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I approve! Congrats!! :thumbsup:

9mmepiphany
07-12-2010, 1:19 PM
nice choice

the light rail wouldn't have been mine, but you did include it in you original specs

faterikcartman
07-12-2010, 1:46 PM
Range report?
Impressions?
Regrets?
Made the right choice? (I think you did.)

patriot_man
07-12-2010, 1:47 PM
Springfield Pro.

Mac Attack
07-12-2010, 2:05 PM
Ever since I started shooting a 1911 it has been a dream of mine to own a Wilson. It still remains a life long goal to own one, but my Colt Commerical 1911 customized by Bob Coogan is good enough for now.

bombadillo
07-12-2010, 2:10 PM
Ever since I started shooting a 1911 it has been a dream of mine to own a Wilson. It still remains a life long goal to own one, but my Colt Commerical 1911 customized by Bob Coogan is good enough for now.

Pics??

neomedic
07-12-2010, 2:45 PM
Range report?
Impressions?
Regrets?
Made the right choice? (I think you did.)

Haven't had time to take it to the range yet...but I'm sure it will perform great.

No regrets. I really love the feel and fit of it. Very comfortable in the hands. The fit its awesome...everything very flush and clean as expected from a high end custom work. I think I made the right choice...especially after the test it was put through by the FBI. The accuracy the FBI demanded from hollow points (non match grade ammo) was "crazy." I think it was 1.25 inch from a 10 shot group at 25 yards....way more accurate than I can shoot. :D I might yet get a wilson combat, but I like how the Pro was put though a standardized evaluation and past with flying colors. I just hope I don't get the urge to start building a 1911 collection....this is my first 1911.

Aldemar
07-12-2010, 2:52 PM
Baer 1911 Ultimate Recon Pistol, 5 but it's not listed. Wilson is the best of the rest IMHO.

Mac Attack
07-12-2010, 3:23 PM
Pics??

I do not have any current pictures so I will post a picture of my Colt that was taken by the friend I purchased it from. He (Bob) deserves credit for the pic as I am horrable with taking pictures. I have since removed the ambi safety (when I carried it the weak side safety always seemed to inactivate so I went back to a single side) and changed the grips to a more textured grip. She is an old nag but she still shoots straigher and operates great. In 2008 a group of CA Calgunners got together to shoot and several of them shot my Colt and commented how sweet she was. When I purchased her she came with a fitted .400 corbon barrel. I just order dies and have plans to start reloading the corbon for something a little different.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/mmacayan/USN%20Pics/colt01.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/mmacayan/USN%20Pics/e676302b.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/mmacayan/USN%20Pics/68dc172b.jpg

9mmepiphany
07-12-2010, 4:54 PM
everything very flush and clean as expected from a high end custom production work.

I might yet get a wilson combat, but I like how the Pro was put though a standardized evaluation and past with flying colors. .

fixed it for you :p

more seriously, i doubt you gain anything going to a Wilson...after all the Springfield Professional beat out the Wilson for the FBI contract :rolleyes:

HighLander51
07-12-2010, 6:24 PM
Any of the new CNC 1911's are far superior to the old Colt Gold Cups. You won't go wrong with any of these choices. In the late 60's the rule of thumb was spend as much on gunsmithing as the original gun cost to make it run, but that's not the case anymore. Everything is drop in. Stainless is a better choice simply because there is no worries from letting it sit in a leather holster. Also check http://www.cylinder-slide.com/adventurer.shtml He is one of the premier 1911 guys in the world, there are others also.