PDA

View Full Version : If you have a .22 and a .380APC What's the next gun to buy?

newHGowner
06-19-2010, 1:13 AM
Just got a couple handguns from my grandpa. One is a .22 and the other is a .380. Just wondering, out of ALL the guns on California's list of guns for sale, what should be the first gun I buy? It'll probably be a while before I buy one, but I'm a newbie, and am wondering what your favorite gun is and why? Rant as long as you want. I want to learn as much as I can, about your favorite gun.

Black Majik
06-19-2010, 1:24 AM
Welcome to Calguns, and the world of shooting. A few things to establish first.

Price budget you're wiling to spend? If you don't give us a price I'm gonna recommend you something mighty expensive. :D

Preferred calibers? 9mm, .40, .45, .357, .38 spl, or maybe a 454 casull?

Metal or polymer frame?

semi-auto or revolver?

paper or plastic?

Chicken or beef?

We need more details on what you intend to use the gun for.

PutTogether
06-19-2010, 1:27 AM
Not to be a nitpicker, but it is "ACP" not "APC."

It stands for Automatic Colt Pistol.

If you already have a .22 then you "need" a .357 revolver. A .357 revolver is the best of all worlds. I can't answer your question for you obviously, but there isn't much you can't do with a good .357 - your options are WIDE open.

Plink, hunt, practice, home defense, can shoot anything from weak .38 to powerful .357 magnums.

The best NEW one currently available for sale I believe is the S&W 627. All the standard benefits of a revolver, plus two extra shots.

http://criminalhandbook.com/627/1.jpg

http://criminalhandbook.com/627/3.jpg

http://criminalhandbook.com/627/2.jpg

slobson
06-19-2010, 1:37 AM
it all depends on what you want it for; target shooting, training for CCW, SHTF, plinking, some combination of the above? using the proper tool always makes the job easier. after that, narrowing it down between wheel guns and semi autos will be a good place to start, and a budget will help thin the herd further. from there all you need to do is decide which bandwagon to jump on and check the marketplace. welcome to the forum and to the gun culture

basically what black majik just said, he beat me to it :)

newHGowner
06-19-2010, 2:05 AM
BlackMajik, right now I'm flat broke, but I do intend to get something of better quality, sometime in the near future. As far as my preferences, I have no clue. As I said I have a .22LR and a .380ACP. But, I've never shot a gun. I tried to go to the range today and rent one before I pick my guns up from AZ. But I was denied because I came by myself and they don't rent to people by themselves, unless they have their own gun. So anyways, I'm just taking a shot in the dark, trying to figure out more about guns, and get people talking about what they love. And hopefully I will find something I like in the lot.

PutTogether, Sorry about the typo, I'm new as I said, and the fact that I just got home from the bar probably doesn't help much. But the S&W 627 looks awesome. I didn't even know they made 8-shooters. It's early but the 627 got a big head start.

slobson, the purchase will be made in the future so not sure of all the uses. But probably for the most part target practice and home self defense. As I said earlier I never shot a gun so just trying to get educated and fill my excitement till I get them.

slobson
06-19-2010, 2:13 AM
well for home defense then its usually a toss up between a 12ga shotgun or a pistol of some type, with the nod going to the scattergun if you are new to shooting. for the simple joy of shooting and cheap fun at the range you're already set with the 22, although 9mm can still be had at (relatively) reasonable prices. above all, don't buy anything before you shoot it first; no amount of fondling in a store can replace some quality time on the range

newHGowner
06-19-2010, 2:31 AM
I hear that! Unfortunately the L.A. Gun Club wouldn't let me shoot today. I drove about 15 miles because their website said free instruction for beginners. But if you don't own a gun (and have it with you) you cant rent a gun, unless of course you are with another person who also knows nothing about guns. Then it's fine. Sorry totally different subject, just a little frustrated with that place earlier today.

nagorb
06-19-2010, 3:20 AM
I would say a 1911.

CSACANNONEER
06-19-2010, 6:30 AM
Just wait until you are more familar with your guns first. I'd suggest a few more .22s for target shooting but, we can talk about that if and when we meet.

NewbieDave
06-19-2010, 6:46 AM
Everyone should have a shotgun.... :)

Greg-Dawg
06-19-2010, 6:53 AM
Take a basic handgun course, become a member to a rental range and rent out all their guns. Then choose from there.

twotap
06-19-2010, 9:40 AM
ammo for the two you have and a good hand gun class.

BTW that 627 got me to droooolll.

AK4me
06-19-2010, 9:44 AM
Is the .22 a pistol too, if it is, then get some sort of rifle. Maybe a ruger 10/22

drunktank
06-19-2010, 9:45 AM
Nice 627 above.

OP, where are you located? If you are neat Magnum Range in Rancho Cucamonga, I might be able to help you out.

Squidward
06-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Before you buy anything shoot everything your local range carries for rentals. It'll be less expensive in the long run and you'll have fun doing so..

newHGowner
06-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Alright, sounds like the smart thing to do is become a member at a shooting range. That being said, what's the best range near North Hollywood? Both in handgun selection and price. Me being a newbie, would like to go somewhere that isn't crazy expensive but has quality handgun instructors and a good selection of handguns. Possibly one with that 627 for rental!

Notblake
06-19-2010, 11:35 AM
In my opinion every gun owner NEEDS a 12 ga. Pump action shotgun. Mossberg or remmington will do nicely. Buy it, get decent with it, clean it, load it, and leave it.

It is very important to have one go-to gun which you KNOW will be ready to hit the ground running if god throws a speedbump your way. I know plenty of people who have guns for self defense which in a self defense would be no better than airsoft guns.
My two cents.

ojisan
06-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Alright, sounds like the smart thing to do is become a member at a shooting range. That being said, what's the best range near North Hollywood? Both in handgun selection and price. Me being a newbie, would like to go somewhere that isn't crazy expensive but has quality handgun instructors and a good selection of handguns. Possibly one with that 627 for rental!

I don't go to indoor ranges so I don;t knwo where they all are.
There is one in Burbank.
You're only about 30 minutes from the Angeles Shooting Range, where many Cal Gunners shoot.
You should spend a day meeting some CalGunners at ASR, get some basic safety and handling instruction, and try out a few guns.

BigEd925
06-19-2010, 12:02 PM

/Close thread

newHGowner
06-19-2010, 12:19 PM
ojisan, ASR does look pretty cool. I'll have to check it out when I get some more $. It says on their website that there are no rental firearms. :mad: But it definitely looks like a cool range to go to when I have a good selection of my own.

BigEd925, I've thought about a 1911. But the .380 I have is modeled after a 1911. Even though it's a smaller caliber than a regular 1911, I was thinking since I've already got something similar, should I get another that's a .45?

Beetle Bailey
06-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately for you, no shooting range is gonna rent you a gun if you have no gun with you and you are by yourself. So the best thing to do is bring a friend with you and the two of you can learn together. Also ask about the range rental policy. Is it a flat rate and you can swap one gun out for another? This will allow you to try a greater variety of guns.

As for which handgun, there are many good choices but I would narrow it down to something with a 4-5" barrel. Basically, a service pistol.

jdg30
06-19-2010, 12:31 PM
If I were you I would get a Glock 19 or similar handgun in 9mm. Easy to use, reliable and easy/affordable to find ammo for.

vta
06-19-2010, 1:28 PM
I agree with the glock 19 recommendation. A must have in any collection along with a 1911.

throwbricks
06-19-2010, 1:53 PM
If I had a .22 and a .380, my next gun would be one that I could use to defend myself against something larger than an army of hamsters.

newHGowner
06-19-2010, 1:56 PM
If I had a .22 and a .380, my next gun would be one that I could use to defend myself against something larger than an army of hamsters.

Touché

jdg30
06-19-2010, 1:58 PM

Especially against the ones in the Kia commercials

Kodemonkey
06-19-2010, 3:33 PM
Jdg30: I dunno, those are hip hop hamsters and they are probably carrying a gat. But they probably will try to shoot it sideways all gangsta like which means you could probably drop them with one properly placed 22 round after they empty their 18 round magazine all around you.

russ69
06-19-2010, 3:53 PM
You said you are getting a .22 and a .380. That's kinda like saying you have a car and a motorcycle what car/motorcycle should you buy next? I don't know because you have not told us what you are getting. So I'll assume they are just pocket pistols and you need to start learning how to shoot, with a proper gun.
The first pistol you should get is a quality 22 target auto. It doesn't matter what brand but a well known 22 suitable for casual (or serious) competition. This will be the gun that teaches you how to shoot. You will never outgrow this gun. Next on the list will be the most versatile handgun on the planet. That would be a 5 or 6 inch .357 revolver. That gun will shoot just about every competition out there plus it will hunt, plink and can be used for self defense.
By then you can go off in any direction you want, you'll have the basics down. Now go out and shoot!

Thanx, Russ

Omil
06-19-2010, 4:03 PM
ojisan, ASR does look pretty cool. I'll have to check it out when I get some more $. It says on their website that there are no rental firearms. :mad: But it definitely looks like a cool range to go to when I have a good selection of my own.

BigEd925, I've thought about a 1911. But the .380 I have is modeled after a 1911. Even though it's a smaller caliber than a regular 1911, I was thinking since I've already got something similar, should I get another that's a .45?

Hi there, welcome to Calgun's.
Since you already thought about a 1911's, why not go fot it? Check out SA with GI's model. If you like it, this basic gun will give you plenty of ways to go. But if you don't want it, you could always sell it here easely. Calguners will buy SA 1911's all day long, everyday.:D

Al LaVodka
06-19-2010, 4:34 PM
Name brand (not Taurus) .38/.357 approx. 5" 7 or 8 shot revolver.
Al

bsg
06-19-2010, 4:44 PM
well since you mentioned both target and home defense use; your first priority will be utter dependability in whatever gun you purchase. you can't or shouldn't bet your life on a gun for home defense that is fun to shoot, but has reliability problems. the reliability factor cannot be overstressed and is the most important consideration you must keep in mind. you mentioned your gun purchase is not going to happen in the immediate future... so now is the time to do your research. you have already gone to a gun range, and even though the results were not in your favor you are already doing the appropriate footwork; actually shooting guns that are candidates for ownership is as good as it gets. revolver or semi auto? you be the judge, but do the homework to find out the idiosyncratic features of both styles of handguns and what amount of skill is needed to operate them. you may also want to check out shotguns. pay attention to the feedback on this forum and search the old posts for the information you seek; the matter of choice in weaponry is discussed often in this forum, and like information in a library is available to you here. there is much knowledge to be had from your membership here, but i also advise taking a firearms safety class so that you develop good skills with safety and operation from the beginning. take care of those guns that were your grandpa's and welcome to the forum....

den888
06-19-2010, 4:47 PM
Probably a .357 revolver, which will allow you to shoot .38 specials and .357 magnum loads.

NoahH
06-19-2010, 4:50 PM
Next pistol? The answer is always 1911.

remyjoeboxer
06-19-2010, 5:35 PM
for home defense and plinking?
9mm ought to do.
if on a budget glock, if not on a budget sig.

newHGowner
06-19-2010, 6:41 PM
russ69-
Sorry about the vagueness. To clarify they are a Hi-Standard Field King .22LR, and a Llama .380 Model III-A 9mm short. Both are supposedly known for having great accuracy, I'll have to see for myself. So hopefully the Field King is the .22 you were talking about for me. As for the revolver, what do you think about that S&W 627, recommended to me by PutTogether?

bsg-
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely doing my research before I buy anything and this forum has been a crazy resource of knowledge. Hopefully my finances will look up soon, because I'd like to take a few different classes from a few different people, as well as have the money to go to the range a couple times a week and meet people and learn things from them. Since I heard that my grandpa was giving me these guns, it's been an obsession of mine learning about them and other guns, gun safety, maintenance, etc. It's basically all I've done the last week. It's been an awesome experience so far and I still haven't touched a gun. I can't believe I've waited almost 30 years to try to become knowledgable about guns.

Günter
06-19-2010, 6:47 PM
I recommend: Glock 19 - The Jack of All Trades.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6630/g19leftfullhi.jpg

twotap
06-19-2010, 9:28 PM
Both the Hi-Standard and Llama are great weapons.You lucked out.They will both last a long time and are well worth learning to use.Start off with the 22lr first it will be perfect to learn with get a couple thousand rounds and by the time your thru them youl will have a good idea how well you shoot .Then go for the 380 and sharpen your skills even more.Just have fun and enjoy and later on you can start sniffin for something else.Probably a 357 revolver or 12ga shotgun.Everybody should own one of each .
You have a good start, now start shooting!
AND Welcome to Calguns.

JTROKS
06-19-2010, 9:41 PM
357 magnum like a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686.

pcISin
06-19-2010, 9:42 PM
get a barrett and call it a day.:D

Donny1
06-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Probably a .357 revolver, which will allow you to shoot .38 specials and .357 magnum loads.

First timer should start with a DA revolver. Point, pull trigger.

Get some training and start with the most dependable, reliable gun first. I cannot stress training and learning how to shoot before moving forward. If your going to be the owner of a .22 & .380, should you get in a SD situation the only thing that will save you is accuracy. Neither one of those rounds will stop someone intent on doing you harm unless your shots are placed very well.

BTW, That S&W is sweet! :D

Bill Carson
06-19-2010, 10:59 PM
I recommend: Glock 19 - The Jack of All Trades.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6630/g19leftfullhi.jpg

Time to put on your big boy pants.

j1133s
06-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Just got a couple handguns from my grandpa. One is a .22 and the other is a .380. Just wondering, out of ALL the guns on California's list of guns for sale, what should be the first gun I buy? It'll probably be a while before I buy one, but I'm a newbie, and am wondering what your favorite gun is and why? Rant as long as you want. I want to learn as much as I can, about your favorite gun.

I don't doubt that you're a newbie because you're questions doesn't really make any sense.

Here's what you should do:
1. buy .22LR ammo
2. shoot te .22LR pistol until you are Ok
3. buy SD .308acp ammo
4. shoot the .308 pistol to verify function
5. buy more .22LR ammo
6. shoot the .22LR pistol until you are great

then you will know what pistol to buy w/o needing to post something like this.
hahahahahahah.a

bjl333
06-20-2010, 12:30 AM
russ69-
Sorry about the vagueness. To clarify they are a Hi-Standard Field King .22LR, and a Llama .380 Model III-A 9mm short. Both are supposedly known for having great accuracy, I'll have to see for myself. So hopefully the Field King is the .22 you were talking about for me. As for the revolver, what do you think about that S&W 627, recommended to me by PutTogether?

bsg-
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely doing my research before I buy anything and this forum has been a crazy resource of knowledge. Hopefully my finances will look up soon, because I'd like to take a few different classes from a few different people, as well as have the money to go to the range a couple times a week and meet people and learn things from them. Since I heard that my grandpa was giving me these guns, it's been an obsession of mine learning about them and other guns, gun safety, maintenance, etc. It's basically all I've done the last week. It's been an awesome experience so far and I still haven't touched a gun. I can't believe I've waited almost 30 years to try to become knowledgable about guns.

OK ... The field king should be a good starting/learning pistol for you. How about buying lots of 22 and shoot the HS until you are good at it.
In the meantime save the money from not buying all the expensive bullets for something nice. By that time you should have enough knowledge about firearms to know what you WANT !!!
Remember its all about what you WANT not about what you NEED. I would venture to say 99% of us buy toys based on what we WANT !!! Afterall we are all big kids, don't have to tell us what we need ...

Günter
06-20-2010, 2:37 AM
Time to put on your big boy pants.

Aww come on, I know a lot of other people will also say Glock as well but I’m not trying to hop into the Glock suggestion bandwagon without good reasons. I own few pistols but in fact none of them are Glocks, though I’ve shot several owned by my friends, personally I hate the ugly appearance but without a doubt they’ve proved to me and many others to be an excellent pistol. I recommended a Glock 19 because:
-Easy to use, just as easy to learn to learn and operate as a revolver
-9mm, versatile commonly found, and cheap target rounds (more practice for your money), yet powerful JHP rounds available for effective home defense.
-Good price – cheaper than most SIGs or Berettas
-Flawless Reliability - + for home defense application

I recommend any other reliable 9mm semi-autos with safe-action style trigger and no external safety

newHGowner
06-20-2010, 3:27 AM
Both the Hi-Standard and Llama are great weapons.You lucked out.They will both last a long time and are well worth learning to use.Start off with the 22lr first it will be perfect to learn with get a couple thousand rounds and by the time your thru them youl will have a good idea how well you shoot .Then go for the 380 and sharpen your skills even more.Just have fun and enjoy and later on you can start sniffin for something else.Probably a 357 revolver or 12ga shotgun.Everybody should own one of each .
You have a good start, now start shooting!
AND Welcome to Calguns.

Yeah my grandpa knew his guns. I had a feeling that even though they are somewhat unknown, they were quality guns. I've already got 100 rounds of .380auto, would it be bad to shoot with both the first time i go to the range? I'd like to shoot both the first time and then maybe go back to the .22 to get better at shooting, for $20 I can get around 400-500 rounds of .22 Ammo. How could I not want to learn on the .22, I'm going to shoot that thing till precision is my middle name.

newHGowner
06-20-2010, 3:32 AM
Aww come on, I know a lot of other people will also say Glock as well but I’m not trying to hop into the Glock suggestion bandwagon without good reasons. I own few pistols but in fact none of them are Glocks, though I’ve shot several owned by my friends, personally I hate the ugly appearance but without a doubt they’ve proved to me and many others to be an excellent pistol. I recommended a Glock 19 because:
-9mm, versatile commonly found, and cheap target rounds (more practice for your money), yet powerful JHP rounds available for effective home defense.

I recommend any other reliable 9mm semi-autos with safe-action style trigger and no external safety

Definitely an ugly gun. I understand the praise behind this gun, but with so many other reliable handguns out there, why would you want such an ugly gun? I'm gonna go ahead and leave it at that until I shoot one and see what the fuss is about.

Greg-Dawg
06-20-2010, 4:56 AM
Definitely an ugly gun. I understand the praise behind this gun, but with so many other reliable handguns out there, why would you want such an ugly gun? I'm gonna go ahead and leave it at that until I shoot one and see what the fuss is about.

You better shoot a Glock very soon, it'll be the best gun you've shot in your whole life. In addition, if you get a chance to field strip it and learn how to clean a Glock...you'll wet your tighty whities on its simplicityl

Bill Carson
06-20-2010, 6:56 PM

I was agreeing with you.

newHGowner
06-20-2010, 10:44 PM
I was agreeing with you.

Yeah I know sorry. The question "Why would you get such an ugly gun?" was not directed towards you (even though I quoted you). It was more towards the forum in general, and specifically towards those who recommended it. I was using your quote as backup.