PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

CoolCalGunner
06-18-2010, 9:53 PM
Hello All,

Is it worth it to have a scope on my SKS since I'm thinking of replacing the original receiver cover with an aftermarket with scope rail on it...

Do you think it's worth it as the SKS is known of some kind of short-range rifle...?

All inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance. :D

gunace89
06-18-2010, 9:59 PM
I have one on mine, but to be honest with you I find myself putting back on the original back plate to shoot just standard sights. For whatever reason I dont find shooting my SKS that fun when its scoped. So, if anything maybe buy a dot sight instead to go on the rail?

telcolineman
06-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I agree with gunace, I don't like the scope on the SKS either. I tried 1 years ago and went back to the irons

RedDawn
06-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Same here. I've tried a scope on my SKS, but I find I have more fun with the iron sights.

dorkytom
06-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Receiver cover rails for the sks tend to not hold zero well.... you should consider the
Scout scopes mount.

http://www.scoutscopes.com/

06-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Use a red dot if you want quick target acquisition.

Notblake
06-18-2010, 11:05 PM
My buddy has a reciever cover rail, which had bad fitment with his bolt carrier, It caused occasional feeding issues which were annoying and earned the gun the nickname Jambo. Then after fiddling with it to try to fix the problem it earned a new nickname, Slambo. Guess how! :P

Crazed_SS
06-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Receiver cover rails for the sks tend to not hold zero well.... you should consider the
Scout scopes mount.

Agreed.. I probably went through 2-3 mounts before getting the scout scope mount. It works great. Solid as hell and holds your zero. Dont waste time or money on the receiver cover mounts.

johnthomas
06-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Scout scopes mount.

I have never tried this mount. The receiver cover rail, like you said didn't keep zero and I went back to iron sights.
Before calguns, I would buy what looked like a great idea.
Now I do as the OP did. I think dorkytom nailed this one.

dieselpower
06-19-2010, 12:41 AM
I tryed all 3 types; the cover rail, handguard rail and the choate drill & tap mount.

The reciever cover was better then point firing, but not even close to accurate.

the handguard rail was good, but still had trouble with holding a good zero. I had a 40mm red dot and it was good enough for 100yard work at man sized targets only. 1 foot or more spread.

I then got a choate side mounted rail. I did my best mounting it. I used a cheap harbor frieght drill press to make sure the holes were square, taped them and mounted the rail. iron sights were harder to use, but useable. I had a nice Bushnell scope and was able to hit very tight groups to 200 yards. If you are at all handy with tools, this can be done in less then a few hours in your garage.
http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page.cfm?queries_index=index10&ProductCode=22&ProductSubCodeID=160&NewProduct=0

I sold the gun and like all gun sales regret it...but bills needed to be paid.

tenpercentfirearms
06-19-2010, 5:47 AM
I never suggest someone scope these commie guns. They just don't work well and they work great with irons.

Cobrafreak
06-19-2010, 6:17 AM
It depends how you scope it. The dust cover mounts do not work as they move off zero to infinite. The quad rail mounts work wonderful. My groups went up when I put a pistol scope on the front of mine.http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/IMG00044-20100504-1115.jpg

brianinca
06-19-2010, 7:38 AM
The gas tube mounts are as pointless as the receiver cover mounts, they won't hold a zero. Putting a d&t mount on means your cheekweld will be soooo high you will need a different stock or a pad. It would be a trick to shoot accurately offhand.

As has been mentioned, the best working solution is the scoutscopes.com setup, I've got one on my nice M59 and two rails, one with a 30mm reddot and the other with a 2.5x20 pistol scope. I prefer the pistol scope. The base also serves as backup iron sights, though mine shoots 6" low at 100 yards. If I was inclined to hunt with it, this is the way to go for SKS optics. I also had Kivaari breath on the trigger, what a HUGE improvement!

My beater M59 is stock and works fine, too - it's not a 200 yard paper puncher so don't treat it as such.

Regards,
Brian in CA

dieselpower
06-19-2010, 9:48 AM
The gas tube mounts are as pointless as the receiver cover mounts, they won't hold a zero. Putting a d&t mount on means your cheekweld will be soooo high you will need a different stock or a pad. It would be a trick to shoot accurately offhand.

As has been mentioned, the best working solution is the scoutscopes.com setup, I've got one on my nice M59 and two rails, one with a 30mm reddot and the other with a 2.5x20 pistol scope. I prefer the pistol scope. The base also serves as backup iron sights, though mine shoots 6" low at 100 yards. If I was inclined to hunt with it, this is the way to go for SKS optics. I also had Kivaari breath on the trigger, what a HUGE improvement!

My beater M59 is stock and works fine, too - it's not a 200 yard paper puncher so don't treat it as such.

Regards,
Brian in CA

I do agree with this on the Choate D&T, I forgot to say I was using the ATI drag stock which has an adjustable cheek rest.

Cobrafreak
06-19-2010, 2:10 PM
[QUOTE=brianinca;4480582]The gas tube mounts are as pointless as the receiver cover mounts, they won't hold a zero.

I agree, but my Quad rail mount is not a gas tube mount. It wraps around the barrel on the bottom and the gas tube on the top. Rock solid zero holding ability. A nice plus is you can still use the iron sights with it.

CoolCalGunner
06-19-2010, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=brianinca;4480582]The gas tube mounts are as pointless as the receiver cover mounts, they won't hold a zero.

I agree, but my Quad rail mount is not a gas tube mount. It wraps around the barrel on the bottom and the gas tube on the top. Rock solid zero holding ability. A nice plus is you can still use the iron sights with it.

Your quad rail sure looks nice :). Where & how much did you pay for it & that scope? :D

Ron-Solo
06-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Some guns were just ordained by their maker to be shot with iron sights. :)

AKs and SKS were some of those, along with an M1 Carbine. Great rifles, but just meant to be used with iron sights.

Cobrafreak
06-20-2010, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=Cobrafreak;4482071]

Your quad rail sure looks nice :). Where & how much did you pay for it & that scope? :D

I can't remember where I purchased either, but I just did a google search for both and paid the lowest price with shipping to my door. The mount was around $40 and the scope around $90.

Spearo
06-20-2010, 2:15 AM
I don't think it's worth it. The SKS is not much good past 250-300 yards.
These ranges you will mostly be shooting at 100-150 yards are very much doable with iron sights.

As other have mentioned the receiver cover with rail will not hold zero.
I tried installing a Williams peep sight on my SKS. Can't say I like it very much. My consistency of hitting steel plates at 100 yds has decreased. So I am going to install the original rear sight again. With the stock setup, I was hitting on average 8-9/10 at 100 yds.

virulosity
06-20-2010, 2:16 PM
I drilled and tapped the receiver of my sks to mount a posp scope. This is the only solid way I know of mounting a scope to the sks. With a 6x scope, golf balls at 100 yards become within reach :)

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s164/VIRULOSITY/IMG_0483.jpg

easy
06-20-2010, 8:28 PM
Ever consider peep sights? I recommend Tech Sights.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

Vacaville
06-20-2010, 9:59 PM
Been there, done that. Like a few others here, mine never held zero and I spent a year or so messing around with it until I finally gave up. Replaced the scope/receiver with a Williams peep sight and it works great. If you really want to scope it, I believe people are having better luck with the scout mount. Don't waste your time with a receiver mount.

JayRuff
06-20-2010, 11:14 PM
iron sights