PDA

View Full Version : I went to pick up my gun today and they said.....

Cobrafreak
06-18-2010, 9:15 PM
...that they made a mistake. I have to go back tomorrow at 4:43 to pick it up. It was a used pistol that I had to wait till the 30 days were up before DROSing it and then I waited the 10 days of DROS with my paperwork saying pick-up on the 18th after 2pm. Then they say the "official" paperwork says the 19th! i was cordial to the owner, but relayed my displeasure in being delayed. He was nice about it and said he would throw in a free case and box of ammo for the delay. That's nice, but I would rather have my gun :mad:

smittty
06-18-2010, 9:21 PM
Everyone makes mistakes and it sounds like this guy wasn't treating you badly so I say hang loose and take the free box of ammo.

Smittty

Nirrad
06-18-2010, 9:24 PM
I had a similar thing happen years ago. I picked it up, got home and a short while later got a call saying they released it a day early. "Please bring it back and we'll give you some ammo". 40 days sucks! I hope your case is of nice quality.

dfletcher
06-18-2010, 9:25 PM
The extra day will come and go - you'll have the ammo to use and case to keep.

shellyzsweet
06-18-2010, 9:26 PM
yea sure we all want our guns.....but mistakes do happen and thats part of life, the fact that they are giving you some ammo and other stuff at least says they are sorry and care about making their mistake right....I think we can all respect that.

Fot
06-18-2010, 9:27 PM
Free Ammo dude..lol

bjl333
06-18-2010, 9:31 PM
You said it was a used pistol ?!?!? I thought used handgun don't have the 30 day thing !!

The only thing I can think of is this USED pistol is brought in like a police trade-in. Because police trade-ins are treated like a new gun.

ANYONE ?!?!?

JanG
06-18-2010, 9:31 PM
doesn't sound too bad. better than some horror shop stories i've heard

G60
06-18-2010, 9:41 PM
You said it was a used pistol ?!?!? I thought used handgun don't have the 30 day thing !!

The only thing I can think of is this USED pistol is brought in like a police trade-in. Because police trade-ins are treated like a new gun.

ANYONE ?!?!?

if it's a used handgun in the dealer inventory the 30 day wait still applies.

PPT is exempt from the 1 in 30 rule, and i believe consignments are as well, but not 100% sure about the latter.

the situation sucks, but it seems like you and the FFL did what more people should do, be understanding to the situation on both ends, and come to a friendly resolution.

hattles
06-18-2010, 10:29 PM
I thought pistols were 10 days in California. My two used 9mm and several shotguns were all a 10 day waiting period. Three different FFL/gun shops in the Fresno area. Am I missing something?

glock21fan
06-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Not to one up ya lol! But I bought a rifle from basspro and had it a full month. Got called and they said it was released an hour early and I had to bring it back in. It got re drosed and I had to wait another 10 days :-x talk about pissed

bjl333
06-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Not to one up ya lol! But I bought a rifle from basspro and had it a full month. Got called and they said it was released an hour early and I had to bring it back in. It got re drosed and I had to wait another 10 days :-x talk about pissed

The 30 day thing is just to make sure the firearm is not stolen. Turners have that policy also. I think thats just company policy and has nothing to do with the law.

Sorry, just read your comments again, YOU had physical procession of the firearm AND had to bring it back for ANOTHER DROS ?!?!? Dang ... You got the shafted !!!

bjl333
06-18-2010, 11:15 PM
I thought pistols were 10 days in California. My two used 9mm and several shotguns were all a 10 day waiting period. Three different FFL/gun shops in the Fresno area. Am I missing something?

The 30 days wait between pistol purchase is only on NEW handguns. And I just got clarified to include dealer inventory used guns as well. The ones you got must be consignments or PPTs ...

Omil
06-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Come back tomorrow and if it delayed again, take 1 more box..:D

ke6guj
06-18-2010, 11:27 PM
You said it was a used pistol ?!?!? I thought used handgun don't have the 30 day thing !! sounds like it was a used handgun that the FFL bought from a private party and had to put a 30-day "pawn" hold on it while local LE checked to see if it was stolen.

ANYONE ?!?!?huh?

ke6guj
06-18-2010, 11:32 PM
The 30 day thing is just to make sure the firearm is not stolen. Turners have that policy also. I think thats just company policy and has nothing to do with the law.
no, it isn't just a company policy, it is part of the rules that apply when you have a pawnbrokers license. Some cities require FFLs that buy handguns from the public to have a pawnbrokers license.

The 30 days wait between pistol purchase is only on NEW handguns. And I just got clarified to include dealer inventory used guns as well. The ones you got must be consignments or PPTs ...I wish people would stop saying that the 1-handgun-a-month rule only applies to NEW handguns. If you read the law, it applies to ALL handguns, NEW and USED, but has exemptions for PPT and cosignment transfers. Otherwise, it applies to any handgun that a dealer transfers to an end-use, no matter if it is NEW and USED handguns in inventory and NEW/USED handguns shipped in from a private party or another FFL.

By saying the 30-day rule on transfers only applies to new handguns, you have to say stuff like "Because police trade-ins are treated like a new gun" which doesn't really make sense.

bsg
06-18-2010, 11:45 PM
frustrating to be sure; but i guess a box of free ammo beats a blank. you'll feel better about it after you pick up your gun, i'm sure.

gotgunz
06-19-2010, 1:51 AM

And a month after taking possession you actually took it back based on what somebody at BassPro told you over the phone?

The term "pound salt" would have been applicable in this example. :rolleyes:

jdg30
06-19-2010, 9:21 AM
Getting a free box of ammo and a case just for the inconvenience of waiting one more day sounds like a pretty good deal to me. May be a pain but it's only one more day. Those seem to go by faster and faster anyways!

ALSystems
06-19-2010, 11:32 AM
That's ridiculous! :mad: I probably would have refused unless they offered to loan a better rifle while I waited. You didn't have to pay DROS fees twice did you?

ir0nclash86
06-19-2010, 12:13 PM
My buddy purchased a firearm at Turners in Tustin. He filled out his dros, etc and they told him to come back in 10 days to pick it up. Well on his pickup date a Turners clerk was like, "You can't pick it up today you gotta wait another 10 days. I forgot to process your paperwork." lol can you believe that? I was furious when he told me but hes a humble guy and said, "Calm down, companies make mistakes. It's alright I dont mind another 10 days."

GunLover
06-19-2010, 12:41 PM
I hate when that happens. Its not that big a deal to wait one day but you were all ready and excited to get it today. Its the let down that sucks.

bsg
06-19-2010, 6:15 PM
hopefully your new to you gun is in your possession; what kind of ammo did you get for your inconvenience? and finally for the last time... congratulations on your new acquisition....

lightsout
06-19-2010, 6:41 PM
The FFL I get some used ones from has this thing he does with his used guns and it is if you buy it before the 30days are up he lets you DROS them on the 20th day so they are yours the day the feds or DOJ say it's good to go, if for some reason it is pulled by the Gov he gives you your money back (this has never happened to me :) ).

JTROKS
06-19-2010, 8:24 PM
Relax and enjoy the box of ammo. That's a nice guy trying to make it up to you for his bafoonery. I'd say it deserves a thanks and maybe buy a box of ammo from him.

Greg-Dawg
06-19-2010, 8:32 PM
What gun did you get?

Notblake
06-19-2010, 8:32 PM
free box of ammo AND a free case? thats freakin sweet dude! What a reputable businessman!

walter
06-19-2010, 8:41 PM
the 30 days is so some guy cant walk in and buy 50 pistols and sell them on the street or traffik it to another country.

Rob454
06-19-2010, 10:19 PM
hey at least the guy tried to make it right by offering you something. There are FFLs out there that will simply say you gotta wait another day have a good one now F off. i wouldnt sweat a extra day. big deal. The guy is trying cut him some slack. i could see being pissed if the guy treated you like crap

Echidin
06-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Free box of ammo thrown in. You can't complain about that.

ALOC
06-20-2010, 7:22 AM
Sounds like a good dealer. He made a mistake and is stepping up and taking care of you. Sorry about the extra day of waiting. Wish there were more dealers like that.

VictorFranko
06-20-2010, 7:30 AM
That was nice of him!
You must have your new gun by now....

professorhard
06-20-2010, 7:55 AM

LOL I can't believe you actually took it back, what a joke. I would have laughed and told them to go f*** themselves with that idea before hanging up.

Cobrafreak
06-20-2010, 8:43 AM
That was nice of him!
You must have your new gun by now....

Yes sir. Here she is...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/2cro64h.jpg

A pre-owned Kimber Tactical Pro II. Nice condition. It was not used much. Looking forward to using it. I'm going to mention the gun shop I bought it from because I think the Customer Service was really good as they tried to make it right with me with the new gun case and box of ammo. "Just Guns" in Sacramento at Watt & Auburn. Good People.

ROTC sniper
06-20-2010, 9:25 AM
For a free box of ammo and case, I'll let them hold my weapon an extra day. I wouldn't mind if they did that for everyone of my weapons...I'd have a few extra cases of ammo. If you were really anxious to shoot, you could have taken out one of your other guns.

joedogboy
06-20-2010, 9:28 AM

This is why some stores will now say "Pick it up in 11 calendar days", because it needs to be 240 hours (10x 24 hour days) after the paperwork is submitted.

CSACANNONEER
06-20-2010, 9:31 AM
Sounds like a good FFL to deal with. Care to post the name. When I pass through, I'd like to stop and support an honest bussiness man.

bsg
06-20-2010, 9:34 AM
nice kimber; at last.

Markus
06-20-2010, 10:17 AM
an extra day for a box of .45 and a case? Not a bad deal its a bit of a bummer though, but you know you can use that money you save to go buy more ammo!

TERRYGER
06-20-2010, 11:39 AM
And a month after taking possession you actually took it back based on what somebody at BassPro told you over the phone?

The term "pound salt" would have been applicable in this example. :rolleyes:

how did they get your number to begin with? and even if you gave it to them:rolleyes:

that is v-mail is for. message? what message? ;)

let them call the feds and tell them they released a gun early if they have a problem:D

badandy
06-20-2010, 6:30 PM
You got a nice deal...

I went to pick up mine today and they said, here you go! Awesome...

then was charged $61 for 1 lane, two shooters, 50 rnds of 45acp, and two targets. Good thing I had my own eye and ear protection or would have been $5 more.

Am I wrong, I feel stolen from.

PM if you want 2 know where not to go in Elk Grove. I won't go back!

BTW my 14y/o daughter rocked off some very respectable groups of 45acp from my new to me XD45 compact, at close range, her first time with a .45

hattles
06-20-2010, 7:33 PM
The 30 days wait between pistol purchase is only on NEW handguns. And I just got clarified to include dealer inventory used guns as well. The ones you got must be consignments or PPTs ...

The 30 day period applies only to the purchasing of one handgun a month rule...DROS is always a 10 days waiting period before delivery, used or new, unless a dealer has an extended waiting period. You can purchase as many consignment handguns in a month as you want and FTF transfers.

Uriah02
06-20-2010, 7:35 PM
Where'd you go? Just Guns?

Cobrafreak
06-20-2010, 9:46 PM
Where'd you go? Just Guns?

Yes, Just Guns. FYI, They have a Black rifles section now. Getting into AR's and accessories.

map
06-20-2010, 10:04 PM
I went to pick my Smith and Wesson and the guy over the counter said I should have got a Ruger.

Bill Jackson
06-21-2010, 7:57 AM
This is why some stores will now say "Pick it up in 11 calendar days", because it needs to be 240 hours (10x 24 hour days) after the paperwork is submitted.

Schtuff happens...

I did a PPT at an unfamiliar shop about 40 miles from my home. The clerk looked up the pickup date on a calendar, circled the day, then handed it to me with the rest of my paperwork.

He didn't mention that they were closed that day. :(

glock21fan
06-21-2010, 12:08 PM
That's ridiculous! :mad: I probably would have refused unless they offered to loan a better rifle while I waited. You didn't have to pay DROS fees twice did you?

I actually told the lady I wasnt going to bring it, and she said that they can send local law enforcement to pick it up..luckly i pissed and moaned enough and got them to pay the new dros (they wanted me too) and to top it off i live about 45 minutes from b pro on a good day with no traffic, therefor with my truck i spent about $60 in gas for the new dros...

Bill Jackson
06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
I actually told the lady I wasnt going to bring it, and she said that they can send local law enforcement to pick it up..luckly i pissed and moaned enough and got them to pay the new dros (they wanted me too) and to top it off i live about 45 minutes from b pro on a good day with no traffic, therefor with my truck i spent about $60 in gas for the new dros...

That's wild.

I don't know much about all this, so I wonder...
if she was bluffing
where the authority to retrieve the firearm comes from
how she would have reacted if you told her that you were going to call BATFE for an opinion?

Maybe this happens to them all of the time?

It sounds as if they were doing some major blame-shifting.

ke6guj
06-21-2010, 12:40 PM
I actually told the lady I wasnt going to bring it, and she said that they can send local law enforcement to pick it up..luckly i pissed and moaned enough and got them to pay the new dros (they wanted me too) and to top it off i live about 45 minutes from b pro on a good day with no traffic, therefor with my truck i spent about $60 in gas for the new dros...hmm, I wonder if I would have called their bluff on that one. I think I would have made them pay for my gas and time for me to drive back there twice. And if they refused, I think I might have even called CADOJ to spite them. But since it didn't happen to me, I don't know how far I would have pushed them.

I think the crime is on the FFL's part for releasing a firearm early. I don't know if that makes the firearm contraband or not.

tacticalcity
06-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes sir. Here she is...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/2cro64h.jpg

A pre-owned Kimber Tactical Pro II. Nice condition. It was not used much. Looking forward to using it. I'm going to mention the gun shop I bought it from because I think the Customer Service was really good as they tried to make it right with me with the new gun case and box of ammo. "Just Guns" in Sacramento at Watt & Auburn. Good People.

Nice! Plus a free box of ammo to make up for the gas/time wasted on the first trip.

t0kie
06-21-2010, 1:06 PM
I went to pick my Smith and Wesson and the guy over the counter said I should have got a Ruger.

Ruger is nice too, but to me a Smithy is still the best for a wheel gun :)
________
PORTABLE VAPORISER (http://vaporshop.com/)

Blood Ocean
06-21-2010, 1:30 PM
Free .45 is worth it for sure, good customer service if you ask me.