PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to pull the barrel on an SR-556/C?

John Browning
06-18-2010, 9:18 PM
I've got my heart set on picking up an SR-556C now that Ruger has lightened it up a bit. I don't like how front heavy the SR-556 is, but I like just about everything else about it. However, it comes with a flash hider that is integral to the barrel. I'd like to know if there is anyone (Randall...paging Randall) who can pull the barrel, chop off the integral hider, thread the barrel, and install a flash hider. I'd prefer to have it pinned and welded so I can use this upper in CA if I can get it to the overall 16" mark.

I know this is a lot of trouble, but eventually I'm planning on running a suppressor while in NV at my other residence and the stupid integral flash hider has to go to make that happen.

So, how hard is it to do this job? Is it even doable, or does Ruger have some super-secret extremely proprietary set up that makes this impossible?

Droppin Deuces
06-19-2010, 1:09 AM
I read somewhere that Ruger discourages disassembly of the upper on the SR-556. I don't know if that's because you'll void the warranty or what. I do know that the rail is pinned to the receiver and the gas block, so maybe it's just more trouble than it's worth?

Couldn't you just get a new barrel instead of chopping up the stock one?

Average Joe American
06-19-2010, 1:22 AM
I heard that too. Ruger says no field stripping is needed under the handguard for the life of the gun. (or something of that nature anyways)

But that doesnt mean you cant change barrels though? They just mean you dont need to clean under the handguards? Too much involved I guess just to clean it but may be worth it if you are changing barrels for a better twist and muzzle work and so on?

This is the only thing that stopped me from going with the Ruger piston AR.