PDA

View Full Version : How solid are high end adjustable stocks

granelli
06-18-2010, 9:05 PM
I have felt a tapco ar15 adjustable stock and would never get it due to the cheap quality and wiggle. I'd consider something like magpul or another higher quality collapsible stock. How much wiggle do milspec stocks have or those with the metal tube??

thanks

sevensix2x51
06-18-2010, 9:11 PM
all those stocks are going to have a little play, or else you could never get them into battery (or locked up, or whatever you call it when its in a fixed position.) hell, even fixed buttstocks have some wiggle. its the nature of a modular weapon system. i think, at least.... but i dont know much about that stuff. i just like typing. that said, i have 2 vltor collapsible stocks, and ive never once thougt of them as being "loose," or of low quality, for that matter. if you want collapsible, vltor clubfoot or emod get a hearty thumbs up from me.

granelli
06-18-2010, 9:16 PM
Very glad you mentioned that, I love the vltor look, is it metal or polycarbonate plastic type stuff? Is the tube metal? Can you get them with a rubber buttpad also?

sevensix2x51
06-18-2010, 9:30 PM
the buffer tube is aluminum, the stock itself is poly, and the EMOD i just traded off comes with a rubber buttpad, strike plate, battery tubes and a little container for patches or spare parts or whatever people put into little containers on rifles... its really a great stock.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=661678

Group B
06-18-2010, 9:56 PM
I have lmt sopmod on lmt mil buffer tube, and it fits the tube snug.

Thinking of switching to an ACS + .7" pad though, for more LOP, and I've heard that the ACS is wiggle-free as well, but I need to check it out firsthand.

Pugster
06-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Get the Magpul MOE stock. I feel pretty much zero wiggle with the friction-lock locked into place.

Dr Rockso
06-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Get the Magpul MOE stock. I feel pretty much zero wiggle with the friction-lock locked into place.

CTR is the one with the friction lock.

Jeffu
06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
You'll like both LMT sopmod & Magpul ACS then :)

telcolineman
06-18-2010, 10:14 PM
The LMT and Magpul stocks are very high quality, Magpul's CTR has the friction brake so it doesn't wiggle. I have the Magpul MOE and it wiggles a tiny bit

ZOMBIEHUNTER
06-18-2010, 10:47 PM
The MOE is pretty nice for the price.

ArkinDomino
06-19-2010, 12:15 AM
The MOE is pretty nice for the price.

There are some unbelievable deals to be had on stocks so the price of a MOE isn't very impressive anymore. There are CTR deals that come with buffer tube, spring and buffer for $120 shipped! :eek:

telcolineman
06-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Norcal Industries has them here on the board, ArkinDomino is correct $120 shipped

esskay
06-19-2010, 1:20 AM
I haven't run all the stocks out there, but the LMT SOPMOD is the snuggest fitting one that I've run (it is well known for this attribute too). ACS still has a little bit of wiggle even with the lock engaged.

Norcal Industries
06-19-2010, 6:38 AM
CTR, ACS, and UBRs are extremely solid. Once you buy a high end stock you will never want to go back to regular m4 stocks I promise.

aGunForEachHand
06-19-2010, 8:10 AM
I have a magpul CTR- it is VERY solid and has no wiggle at all.

xxINKxx
06-19-2010, 10:43 AM
CTR is the one with the friction lock.

Even though the CRT has the additional locking device. I have both CRT and MOE, and the MOE has ZERO wiggle also. And is alot cheaper for practically the same thing ($114 for mil-spec tube, buttstock, buffer spring, and buffer tube)

Both are very good though.

I had a plastic RRA M4 style stock, and it was a turd. Was so loose and make all sorts of noises lol

jasonnorcal
06-19-2010, 10:49 AM
My MOE has a little wiggle in it, but my sopmod is really snug and has fantastic cheek weld. MOE and CTR are a little more slim, sopmod is kinda wide and heavy, but really solid

AK4me
06-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Even though the CRT has the additional locking device. I have both CRT and MOE, and the MOE has ZERO wiggle also. And is alot cheaper for practically the same thing ($114 for mil-spec tube, buttstock, buffer spring, and buffer tube)

Both are very good though.

I had a plastic RRA M4 style stock, and it was a turd. Was so loose and make all sorts of noises lol

Yea I too have a RRA m4 style stock on my .22 and it wiggles alot but I don't noticed it while shouldered, and its just a .22 so I dont care.

But on my .223 I have a Magpul CTR and it has no wiggle at all when locked. Ive also use a LMT sopmod stock and it was solid too.

=Mike=
06-19-2010, 1:20 PM
vltor clubfoot, loose, .018 (thickness of 5 dollar bills) between the tube and stock.
Maybe I got a bad one, but the guy I talked to said that was normal.

granelli
06-19-2010, 1:33 PM
I am leaning towards a vltor rifle modstock for my AK. It will be different

06-19-2010, 1:35 PM
Get the UBR and done with it.

neal0124
06-19-2010, 1:58 PM
Get the UBR and done with it.

^This^

I just put one on my SPR build and it is rock solid at any length. It is pricey though but well worth it.

esskay
06-19-2010, 2:14 PM
UBR is nice, I just don't like the cheek weld, prefer the SOPMOD/ACS/Vltor type.

themethod
06-19-2010, 2:27 PM
I put a mil spec Magpul MOE stock on my last build and couldn't be happier. Light weight and it fits very snug on the tube doesn't rattle or wiggle like the tapco.

LasVegasTaxMan
06-19-2010, 3:49 PM
I have used and owened almost all high end stocks except for the sopmod.

With that said i have found that the PRS/UBR/CTR are all solid with absolutely NO wiggle.

Magpul MOE/ACR/Vltor: very slight wiggle im talking a tiny bit/slight but for the money worth the purchase.

In the end, I prefer the ACS/PRS/UBR/CTR but lets be realistic we can't all own these. I also have a few MOE which I love.