PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Ultra Carry SS Series I

BiggSean
06-18-2010, 2:50 PM
I have the opportunity to pick up a Kimber Ultra Carry (Stainless) Series I in .45acp from a co-worker for only $375. He bought it years ago, and it has just sat on a shelf. It has never been fired, and is absolutely flawless.

To me, it's a no-brainer. I just wanted to get a feel for what others have experienced with this particular pistol. I don't really need another pistol, but I have been wanting to pick up a concealable .45 to join my collection in the event that I'm ever able to procure a CCW.

xLusi0n
06-18-2010, 3:02 PM
It's crap, but being a good guy, I'll buy it off him :D

railroader
06-18-2010, 5:10 PM
Hurry up before your friend changes his mind. Mark

Cobrafreak
06-18-2010, 7:17 PM
Be sure to change all the springs. The "shortys" need full spring pressure to work right.

BiggSean
06-18-2010, 7:44 PM
Any commentary on the accuracy and overall reliability of these pistols?

Cobrafreak
06-18-2010, 8:47 PM
Any commentary on the accuracy and overall reliability of these pistols?

I don't have an ultra (short) but I have a pro (medium 4") and have read about both extensively. The shorter the barrel and slide, the less the weight of the action and the higher the speed of the action. The shorter you go the more urgent it is to keep up on the recoil spring replacements. Kimber recommends 600 rounds per changing of the Ultra recoil spring. Get a ten pack of springs on their site and you will have enough for the life of the gun.

nickvig
06-18-2010, 9:38 PM
That's a steal. Smack yourself in the face if you don't buy it. Series I Kimbers are great guns. They're not on the safe list and very hard to come by. IIRC, the frames were made by McCormick and the fit and finish on that era of guns is usually fantastic. It also does not have the Schwartz firing pin safety that current Series II Kimbers have.

Shorter guns are always somewhat less accurate at longer distances. You're not going to be shooting .5" groups at 50 yards, but that's not what it's intended for. You should have no accuracy issues inside 7 yards.

You may run into FTF or FTE issues as there seems to be problems when you go to the officer's size frame/slide/barrel. Something about the timing in the 5" vs. the 3" can cause problems if not designed properly. Not to say that this gun will have problems, but many of the shorter 1911's have issues. Many also work perfectly. If you have issues I'm sure Kimber will take care of you.

Go get it!!!

W140Blk
06-20-2010, 6:07 PM
I'll take it and pay you profit

ALOC
06-21-2010, 8:24 AM
A Kimber for that price you better hurry before its to late.