View Full Version : SA-85M stock issue

Rooftop Voter
06-18-2010, 12:38 PM
So I just got my SA-85M out to the range the other day and noticed that when I shoot it the stock screw is backing out from the recoil. Every 3-5 rounds rotates the screw about 1/4 a turn.
So how do I fix this? I do eventually want to install an Ironwood pistol grip stock on this rifle... Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

06-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Wow. Usually the screw fits tight. Is your hole drilled out too large? Try simple household glue.

Rooftop Voter
06-18-2010, 12:47 PM
so its most likely something wrong with the stock ? Or the tang hole?
Elmers glue would work or ?

06-18-2010, 3:13 PM
I am thinking someone over tightened the screw and stripped the hole out. Once this is done, it's essentially friction and loose wood fibers holding the screw in place. If this IS the case, your best solution is to fill the hole and rescrew the stock. Clean out the hole, fill with a little wood putty, force a dowel in place, wipe off putty that comes out the top (to make clean up easier), and let harden. After that clean the top flush, redrill a pistol (wood doesn't displace material well so it swells and cracks if no pilot hole), and screw it back in until it's tight. Done and it will be nice and solid.

06-18-2010, 3:26 PM
I also have a SA85M (RAW), at the moment I have replaced it with a standard military Hungarian blonde PG & stock. I did the 922r compliance parts.

The screw used to back out too after a lot of ammo. I just put regular yellow Elmers wood glue in the hole and screwed the screw back if for it to set/bond with the screw and wood stock.