PDA

View Full Version : Can't I buy and wait? Why build it now?

vcsardiver
04-01-2006, 9:20 PM
I have been seriously thinking of getting an off list lower but did not want to build it "neutered" if I don't have to. Anyone know if it would be legal just to DROS and register the lower and then wait for the 90 day registration to come and then register it as a real AW? That way I'm not out $500 min.
All the DOJ would need would be the sn# right?

Hanniballs
04-01-2006, 9:39 PM
Your wording is a lil mixed up there.

Yes, You can currently purchase and DROS your lower receiver. You don't have to build it up. Once the registration window opens you'll have to register if your lower is listed.

Since we dont know exactly what is going to happen yet I can't say if we'll be able to have removable mags.

for now its a waiting game.

Also why dont you want to build it "neutered"? If you go the home depot route it'll only cost you $2 at most and you can always change it back to freeworld config.

PistolKidd
04-01-2006, 9:59 PM
I have been seriously thinking of getting an off list lower but did not want to build it "neutered" if I don't have to. Anyone know if it would be legal just to DROS and register the lower and then wait for the 90 day registration to come and then register it as a real AW? That way I'm not out $500 min.
All the DOJ would need would be the sn# right?

lol..i dont want to sound mean, but you really should read the sticky's at the top of the Forum.. your understanding of the situation is really "off"..

you can purchase any offlist lower you want.. You dont have to build it up..you can keep them in cosmoline, in oil, in salt water.. you can make necklaces and belts out of them if you wanted...BUT...if you do build it, you will need to configure it accordingly..AGAIN, READ THE STICKY's...

Essentially you have 2 NEUTERED choices of buidling up your AR lower (california rules)

1) build it with no "Pistol Grip" - thus allowing you to have a removable magazine.. I dont think CA DOJ has any accepted any Pistol grip attachment that would allow your rifle to still be considered "without a grip". Greater minds here have advised against attaching any pistol grip without pinning the magazine...

2) build it with a pinned magazine - allows you to have your pistol grip.

There is currently no "AW Registration" that would allow you to "register" these lowers and then build it up with all the "AW Characteristics".. Configured this way, your AR will not be considered an AW...

Maybe it makes sense, maybe it doesnt... you should definitely read more.. that might help..

Surveyor
04-01-2006, 10:56 PM
I understand what you're saying.

When you dros long guns, ( the lower receiver), they do a background check and make you wait. That's all. Only pistols get registered when you buy them. The only registration we have to worry about, happens when they list.

I also wondered if they might try and deny registration for an incomplete rifle, claiming that it's not truly a firearm. But since we will be charged with possession of an AW if we get caught with an unregistered listed lower, I'd say it has to work both ways. The receiver is the AW, and has to be treated as such.

I personally won't have the money to build up one of my two lowers up for at least a couple of months. I was just barely able to scrape up enough cash to get myself grandfathered in. And that, my friend, is good enough. ;)

Surveyor
04-01-2006, 11:15 PM
lol..i don't want to sound mean, but you really should read the sticky's at the top of the Forum.. your understanding of the situation is really "off"..

you can purchase any offlist lower you want.. You don't have to build it up..you can keep them in cosmoline, in oil, in salt water.. you can make necklaces and belts out of them if you wanted...BUT...if you do build it, you will need to configure it accordingly..AGAIN, READ THE STICKY's...

Essentially you have 2 NEUTERED choices of building up your AR lower (California rules)

1) build it with no "Pistol Grip" - thus allowing you to have a removable magazine.. I dont think CA DOJ has any accepted any Pistol grip attachment that would allow your rifle to still be considered "without a grip". Greater minds here have advised against attaching any pistol grip without pinning the magazine...

2) build it with a pinned magazine - allows you to have your pistol grip.

There is currently no "AW Registration" that would allow you to "register" these lowers and then build it up with all the "AW Characteristics".. Configured this way, your AR will not be considered an AW...

Maybe it makes sense, maybe it doesnt... you should definitely read more.. that might help..

Pistolkidd,

If you don't want to sound mean, then don't give out advice with a smart*****
tone in your post. I've spent way too much of my time trying to tell people about the lowers to have them insulted when they actually log on to our site and ask a simple question.

This isn't a case of someone asking a technical question and being too lazy to use the search bar. For the most part, these are not even computer people. They are just friends and acquaintances from work and the gun range. When I tell people about this, their first reaction is that it seems too good to be true. Most of them just blow me off. The ones that do make it to Calguns, just need a little reassurance that this is real.

I realize that we all think about the "lowers" subject every day, and simple questions might seem stupid to us. So please try and have a little more patience when you answer questions like this. The more people we have on our side, the better. :)

Thanks,

Matt

vcsardiver
04-02-2006, 7:42 AM
Thats what I meant. I guess I should've said that I already have a registered Armalite AR15 with the DOJ and did not want to build up another one if it had to be CA neutered. I would spend the money on a lower and take my chances, like you, if I can simply wait it out and "register" it stripped later. Hope that clarifies things a bit pistolkidd.

Nick5811
04-02-2006, 2:11 PM
Matt;

I don't think he was being a smart *** at all. I have been here a short time, but even I get annoyed by reading posts asking questions that have been clearly answered in the FAQ section...I don't think reading the FAQ that is posted in RED on the TOP of EVERY CALGUNS page is too much to ask. I also think all the sticky's that say "Please read the FAQ first" are a good start.

With all the work that Bill and others have done looking into all this stuff, and putting the FAQ together, I think it's rude to ignore it and ask questions that were already answered.

The forum should be the place to ask for CLARIFICATION or to bring up ideas about the FAQ. I have no problems with that at all. If I had all the answers I would be GLAD to share them and help create a better armed law abiding public that is not afraid of the Government. This is not the place for people who basically post things like "I'm too lazy to follow instructions, someone explain to me the whole AR/AK thing and tell me where to get it for under $100."

I'm not saying the original post was one of these, but it is a common 'problem' here, and has been addressed many times. My point is that the FAQ isn't exactly hidden, and it is stressed that it should be read first. That is why it is here.

Besides that, MORE LOWERS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!
Cheers!
Nick;)

Pistolkidd,

If you don't want to sound mean, then don't give out advice with a smart*****
tone in your post. I've spent way too much of my time trying to tell people about the lowers to have them insulted when they actually log on to our site and ask a simple question.

This isn't a case of someone asking a technical question and being too lazy to use the search bar. For the most part, these are not even computer people. They are just friends and acquaintances from work and the gun range. When I tell people about this, their first reaction is that it seems too good to be true. Most of them just blow me off. The ones that do make it to Calguns, just need a little reassurance that this is real.

I realize that we all think about the "lowers" subject every day, and simple questions might seem stupid to us. So please try and have a little more patience when you answer questions like this. The more people we have on our side, the better. :)

Thanks,

Matt