PDA

View Full Version : Do we still have a Constitution?

Beemerguy
06-18-2010, 11:58 AM
I was reading some arguments in the McDonald case today and I came across this gem:

JUSTICE BREYER: Let me be specific, suppose Chicago says, look, by banning handguns not in the hills, not hunting, nothing like that, nothing outside the city -- in the city, we save several hundred human lives every year. And the other side says, we don't think it is several hundred, and, moreover, that doesn't matter. How do you decide the case?

MR. GURA: We decide that by looking, not to which side has the better statistics, but rather to what the framers said in the Constitution, because that policy choice was made for us in the Constitution. They --

JUSTICE BREYER: You’re saying they can have -- no matter what, that the City just can't (ban) guns even if they’re saving hundreds of lives -- they can’t ban them.

This is out of the mouth of a Supreme Court Justice of the United States, my jaw hit the floor. What part of UNCONSTITUTIONAL does he not understand?

If the constitution needs to be changed there is a way to amend it. They are seriously ruling based on made up statistics now. Unbelievable!

Barabas
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Meh, Breyer's a judge. Their job is to make you think and argue your case. If it means becoming the Devil's advocate to get a point across, what's the harm? Until the decision is handed out, I wouldn't worry about arguments too much.

johnny_22
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
One reason, I don't hope for better than 7-2 for McDonald. Breyer and Sotomayor both had that frame of mind. The other liberal justices did not say it. I hope they did not think it.

Sunday
06-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Can't worry about the Constitution the NASCAR race,and the football game are on TV....It is being subverted and the people most responsible IMO are the ones who take as part of their oath to up hold the constitution yet do not.

N6ATF
06-18-2010, 12:23 PM
This is out of the mouth of a Super Court Justice of the United States

He's not super... in a positive way.