PDA

View Full Version : Perishability of shoting skill (Place your bets)

j1133s
06-18-2010, 11:01 AM
So, I just shot my first (local) match (some kind of pistol bullseye thing) since July 2007. Since 2007, I've been to the range about 15 times w/ the last 6 times this year.

My result was a bit humbling, as I thought I'd get a perfect score... but that wasn't the case. Shot 2 relays, first was 98.1%, second was 99.6% of full score.

Main issue I had was that my gun wasn't zero'ed for the range; I had wanted to zero it before the match, but never got around to. Another minor issues is that I wasn't shooting match ammo (I didn't plan to order any for this match as the 10-ring was pretyt big... didn't think I'd need the extra precision). Turns out it is harder than I thought because the 10-ring wasn't a circle bu some sort of elipse.

Anyway, I plan to do 1 range trip to zero and maybe practice a bit, then shoot 3 relays of this match again next Monday. Do you think I'll get a perfect score in 1 of my 3 relays?

Place your bets...

kellito
06-18-2010, 12:05 PM
no worse then spelling skills IMO.

-and yes.

Black Majik
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I see poll results are shown with names.

I better vote for the nicer of the two. :D

Steyrlp10
06-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Do you remember exactly what this Bullseye sort of thing it was -- 2700 or International? Were you shooting rimfire or centerfire? (With one hand, right?)

I'm curious because I've driven my friends bonkers doing the "reinvention" of myself at least three times now. Because of my "former life," I've been out of the shooting scene for about 10 years before I started getting my groups together again.

Look at it this way -- you're getting fresh air, sharing the company of some great people, and creating modern art :)

MossbergMan
06-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Boy, sounds like a contestant on Top Shots..."I would have won if I'd shot faster and didn't miss so much"
I'd say with a 99.6% your chances of 100% are excellent with match ammo and correct zero. But if you shoot a possible score then this not a challenge to your skill level anymore and it's time to move on to something you must REALLY work for...
Good luck and let us know how it goes (good or bad). I'd be interested in knowing exactly what kind of competition this is. Shooting 99% in any sport is really, really good.
I do't think anyone has shot a perfect 1500 X150 PPC score. I know John Pride shot a 1500, but not 150 X's. Bianchi Cup top finishers all shoot a perfect score and are separated by X count only. Drop a single point and welcome to 6th place.

Steyrlp10
06-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Reminds me of the pistol scores out of Perry. Out of a possible 900, some of these guys pull something like 890+. I can't remember the exact score of the Marine who smoked everyone a few years back, but I believe he had all 10s/Xs and perhaps 5 nines, if at all.

The guys I shoot with are around 860+, putting them in the High Master category.

j1133s
06-18-2010, 5:06 PM
It's a local indoor range's Monday night match. The range happens to be on my way home, so I decided to try it. Turns out there were tons of people and I waited over an hour before shooting my 1st relay... so I may have to re-evaluate about continuing.

About the match, the target is large PPC target shot at 25, 15, 7 yd with a generous time limit, so I was expecting a perfect score... that's why I didn't try very hard to find time to zero my gun before shooting it... although I also thought that there might be some time before the match for zeroing... turns out not.

BTW, I shouldn't implying that 99% is very good since most shooters there weren't very good, just that I figure an actual score isn't useful due to the proprietary nature of the match, so I converted it to a percentage.

I think I'll go for an NRA bullseye and IPSC or IDPA match next week and report how I do.

Steyrlp10, 10 years is a prety long break. You better pick something like this Monday night match to build up confidence :)

My longest break was 5 years, but also had 2 3-year breaks. Right now, I'm exiting the latest 3-year break.

BigDogatPlay
06-18-2010, 6:01 PM
A PPC match... shooting what gun? Official matches are shot on a B-27 target...

http://images.dealerease.net/prodpics/champic40727.jpg

The ten ring is pretty tiny at 25 yards, let alone the x ring, so if you're shooting possible scores after essentially a three year layoff with only occasional practice I'd say you better get pretty serious and see what you can really do.

ETA: Of course.... photos of the perfect 1500 point target will be graciously appreciated when you achieve it. My personal best in a 1500 match was 1450, and I was nowhere near the money.

22popnsplat
06-18-2010, 6:12 PM
I would have my doubts of somebody shooting a perfect score that only shoots once a month and uses factory ammo.

Steyrlp10
06-18-2010, 6:49 PM
Steyrlp10, 10 years is a prety long break. You better pick something like this Monday night match to build up confidence :)

Thanks for encouragement, but confidence isn't what I'm lacking. It took me this long to get guns and ammo back during a bad divorce -- and no, I'm not the man who had the woman clean him out ;)

j1133s
06-19-2010, 11:29 PM
A PPC match... shooting what gun? Official matches are shot on a B-27 target...
ETA: Of course.... photos of the perfect 1500 point target will be graciously appreciated when you achieve it. My personal best in a 1500 match was 1450, and I was nowhere near the money.

Not a PPC match, I don't think (although they call it PPC)... because if it is then PPC is way too easy. I think it is some proprietary match shot using the PPC target. Full score there is 480 points.

I shot a .22LR pistol w/ red dot. I don't think my score will differ had I used say a 45 cal since my bullseye scores for .22LR and CF/45 are pretty much same. But I do think my score will improve had I used an iron sight pistol and had some way of getting a good POA on the PPC/B-27 target (my bullseye scores were better w/ irons). That B-27 target isn't fit for accurate shooting IMHO.

The elliptical 10-ring really stress me more than I had thought (I had never seen a B-27 target before this match). But I do think that's a big 10-ring for 25 yards... and 2 handed w/ something like 10?? sec per shot (can't remember the time limit, but it was very long). Therefore, I think any reasonable bullseye shooter should be able to get a perfect score... and when I last shot bullseye, I think I was reasonable w/ 560s in all calibers.

I generally don't take photos of targets and don't care to proof whatever I say online. So, to witness my greatness (or as most voters seems to think... my crappy-ness), you'll have to come to Reed's in Santa Clara next Monday :)

After a bit of reading, maybe I sound a bit arrogant in this post. Really, it isn't arrogance but excitement. After a 3-yr break from shooting, I've gone back and shot my first match. It was just great having to sit around for hours waiting and chatting w/ fellow shooters... hmm, maybe not... oh what the heck, it was kind of fun.

j1133s
06-19-2010, 11:44 PM
I would have my doubts of somebody shooting a perfect score that only shoots once a month and uses factory ammo.

That'd depend on the size of the target, no? :)

Since I seem to routinely take multi-year breaks from shooting, I can assure you that shooting skills are not as perishable as you think.

There's been years (note: the "s") that I didn't even touch a gun and was able to get back into shooting w/ a few range trips and hitting my old scores. I can also tell you that if you've not touched a pistol for a year, the first feeling you get when you pick one up is this: "boy, this pistol feels soooo unnatural in my hands. It's like holding a brick".

Acutally, I think I'm a better shooter now (after 6 months of once a month range visit) than I was when I last quit in 2007. I don't know how to explain it, but each time I restart I feel as if I'm better... and my scores are better just before I quit. Maybe the break allowed me to restart w/ a better focus on the fundamentals or something. Hard to explain.

j1133s
06-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Ok, the results are in.

Firstly I post this thread to encourage some discussion on the perishability of shooting skills. As someone who's quit (more or less) 3 times and gotten back into shooting, I don't think (for an average shooter, which covers the majority of shooters, plus myself based on past competition performance) that shooting skills is a perishable skill.

Sure, when you first get back, you feel a bit rusty and may have forgotten a few tricks of the trade. But from my experience, they come back within a couple of range sessions.

Recently there have been a few ?'s on how often to practice to maintain one's skill level. I got back into shooting this year following a 3yr break; my last scored competition was shot in July 2007. During 2007 - 2009, I've gone to the range about once every 3-4 months. I think, based on my past "quiting" experience, this is the min. amount of range time to maintain skill level.

Ok, firstly thanks to all who voted. Your votes make shooting this competition more interesting.

I didn't want to disappoint those who voted "yes", as they placed some faith in my unworthy set of shooting skills. I really tried to shoot my best to not disappoint the "yes" votes and did manage to get to the range 1/2 hr early to zero my sights.

I also took comfort in the "no" votes (incl. my own "no" vote) as I certainly can use more practice since I still drop a couple points in 1 of the relays.

Anyway, I was lucky and managed 2 perfect-score relays and 1 99.6% (again) relay.