lookit the size of that thing :eek:

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-fishermen-charged,0,2449250.story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzw5LDkewqk

Blue
06-18-2010, 9:02 AM
damn.

G-Man WC
06-18-2010, 9:15 AM
They have been protected for years and a big no no to keep. I'm surprised to see one this far north. I have heard that there still caught and released south of the border with some regularity with jumbo's beeing scarce. -g

Big Jake
06-18-2010, 9:52 AM
I just read the article in the L.A. Times on this. DFG is going to prosecute the guys who caught it. I can't find the link to the story or I would post it up. The article is in the LAT EXTRA section of the newspaper!

Ricky-Ray
06-18-2010, 9:54 AM
He caught that last year and it was a big hype on the news. He claimed he didn't know it was a black sea bass but if you watched certain video's on youtube you could hear people in the background telling him it's a black sea bass and it's illegal or needs to be thrown back.

I may not know all the CA fishing regs but when I go fish and if I catch something that I'm not sure of or not quite sure if it meets minimum length to keep I'll throw it back. Better safe than sorry. Going home with one less fish isn't going to ruin my day. It's getting that ticket from DFG that will.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-18-2010, 9:57 AM
I bet they didnt even get to eat it. That is a fairly large one but not the largest I have seen.

Here is a nice one.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/BlackBass.jpg

HokeySon
06-18-2010, 10:07 AM
This was a big story on some of the fishing boards.

After the fact, the guy tried to claim that he was actually trying to save the fish after he caught it (even though he also claimed to have not realized is was a protected black sea bass). He then had a website set up and tried to sell "save the bass" tee shirts to fund his legal defense. It was ridiculous. Looking at the videos and stuff posted at the time, it was clear he was trying to take the fish, not "rescue" it.

I did a quick search for the website, but did not find it. Closest I can is a blog at the OC Weekly (a free, liberal rag) which gives the fisherman's after the fact story: http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/crime-sex/on-january-3-2010-jon/

EDIT: here is the website http://www.savetheseabass.com/
Taking the fish was wrong, but making up an unbelievable story is outrageous.

Mike's Custom
06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I saw a small Black seabass caught on a fishing trip a couple years ago out by the Chanel Islands. It was released immediately and swam away. very nice look fish... it would be nice to be able to keep them again. Lets hope they come back.

BigJB
06-18-2010, 12:04 PM
They don't even eat that good when they get too big. Ive caught hundreds of them at my place in Mex, I let them all go. I try to get all the locals to do the same, some listen , most keep them. Gringos go down all the time to harvest the big grouper and BSB we get down there, the rule on my boat is that they all get to swim free, lost a few customers that way, spear fishermen too.

So many good plentiful fish to eat down there, Halibut, Tuna, Dorado, Yellowtail, Bay bass, corvina, WSB, Caabrilla etc, leave the dinosaurs alone so they can come back in good numbers.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-18-2010, 12:42 PM
I will have to tag along on your boat sometime. If it was not gaffed I let it go.

blackberg
06-18-2010, 1:52 PM
if I remember right, he tried to say he tried to revive it after he realized what it was, but it had been out of the water for while by then, and I think it washed up on shore a day later. The guy on the boat should have know what it was too and just let it go when he saw what it was.

They don't even eat that good when they get too big. Ive caught hundreds of them at my place in Mex, I let them all go. I try to get all the locals to do the same, some listen , most keep them. Gringos go down all the time to harvest the big grouper and BSB we get down there, the rule on my boat is that they all get to swim free, lost a few customers that way, spear fishermen too.

So many good plentiful fish to eat down there, Halibut, Tuna, Dorado, Yellowtail, Bay bass, corvina, WSB, Caabrilla etc, leave the dinosaurs alone so they can come back in good numbers.

Hey bigfb,

can you provide me some details, I want to head out south of the border in july/august for the first time, but havent decided yet on anything. PM me if you want

thanks
-bb

BigJB
06-18-2010, 2:20 PM
July August is hotter than hell. On the Pacific the weather is cooler, but the fishing is not at its best. Still very good, but too early for the YT, YFT, Dorado etc. Halibut and YSB will still be good, depends on how far down you want to go, driving or flying etc.

gunnerdan
06-18-2010, 2:38 PM
There would be less problems with his "I tried to let it go" theory EXCEPT that there's a youtube video of him trying to have someone pull it up to the pier with a gaff hook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzyQmSusmhk&feature=related

AND he was trying to gaff it on its side...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-r1Z7H8Qgk&feature=related

This guy appears to be dumb as dirt.

Butthead
06-18-2010, 4:36 PM
The fish has been seen more and more over the last decade locally in So Cal due to its protected status. However the fish is basically an underwater condor. Big and dumb. They are very docile and will allow divers and spear fisherman to swim right up to them (one of the main reasons they were almost wiped out locally). We always warned those diving/hunting with us, no BSB and no abalone. while they are both pretty rare locally they are occasionally seen and a big no-no to take.

faterikcartman
06-18-2010, 5:37 PM
I have no sympathy...for the fisherman.

bigboarstopper
06-18-2010, 6:43 PM
Heres an interesting point. While I dont think it would work in a defence it makes for interesting conversation.

You dont need a fishing licence to fish on a public pier. A fishing licence is basically a contract or declaration stating you will follow the laws in regards to californias fishing rules. If you dont need a licence on a public pier a person theoretically wouldnt have to follow the rules. Now, I dont agree with this theory but it could make for some interesting conversation..

GMG
06-18-2010, 6:49 PM
A couple years ago off La Jolla in a protected zone 2 guys were convicted of spear fishing a Black Sea Bass.

The fish was identified in videos of different divers as being very docile.

If you fish, you should be able to identifly the catch before you kill it!:cool:

Rusty413
06-18-2010, 6:52 PM
I have no sympathy...for the fisherman.

If you watch all of the videos the fish got hooked and the hook was deep in the mouth/throat and thats why they brought it out of the water and then they tried to resuscitate it and put it back in the water. If you watch the one where he has it on the beach, someone had a bucket pouring water over the fish to keep it alive and ok. The guy knew what was up and tried to help the fish, it would've been worse for him to clip the line and let it go about its business. Sucks for him that soo many people are willing to jump to the conclusion that its all his fault this fish died

ADAM
06-18-2010, 8:26 PM
9 years a go i was scuba diving in santa rosa we came across black sea bass it was almost as big as vw beetle my friend has video of it

wilhrp
06-18-2010, 8:37 PM
you cant save a fish by taking it out of the water. guilty! next!!!!

blackberg
06-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Heres an interesting point. While I dont think it would work in a defence it makes for interesting conversation.

You dont need a fishing licence to fish on a public pier. A fishing licence is basically a contract or declaration stating you will follow the laws in regards to californias fishing rules. If you dont need a licence on a public pier a person theoretically wouldnt have to follow the rules. Now, I dont agree with this theory but it could make for some interesting conversation..

first, thats not the way it works,

second, the guy in the boat put three hooks on the fish to bring it to shore

the guy on the pier wen to the beach to land it, both of them needed licesnses at that point, :rolleyes:

-bb

bsg
06-19-2010, 1:23 AM
i did not have a clue that these fish could live 100 years....

nickarino
06-19-2010, 5:26 PM
I used to be a deckhand on a boat out of Morro Bay. Pretty far north for one of these, but a guy caught one up there one day our 3/4 day trip and it took him an hour to bring it in. We promptly released it, but the guy was still excited as hell. As an avid fisherman, I don't know why it isn't enough to enjoy the fight and the experience. I see so many people catch a fish, take a picture, kill it, and throw it out. I hope this guy gets nailed!

calixt0
06-19-2010, 6:21 PM
I caught a nice Marlin out of Cabo a couple of years ago and intended on catch and release. the fish swallowed the hook... a 180 lbs fish ended up on the boat in less than 15 minutes. It wouldn't have lived long even if we had cut it loose. From the video that was posted the fish seemed pretty dead by the time it first came into view.. when the guy swam out to the boat and the boat handed it over it was already floating belly up. not sure much could have been done at that point to save the fish. I heard several different stories as to what happened up to that point and I'll leave the conjecture to other people. If it could have been saved it looked like that saving would have needed to be done long before teh video started.

just my opinion based on my limited experience.

tankerman
06-20-2010, 12:32 AM
They have been protected for years and a big no no to keep. I'm surprised to see one this far north. I have heard that there still caught and released south of the border with some regularity with jumbo's beeing scarce. -g
They are all over SoCal, Catalina, San Clemente Is, Cortez Bank etc..

Spearo
06-20-2010, 4:09 AM
We spearfishermen see BSB (Black Sea Bass) all the time.
They have made a HUGE comeback. Divers have posted videos of them in schools of over 50 fish.
I'd say while diving Catalina, I will see some BSB on at least 1/3 dives.
Seen some really big ones too, about 350-400lbs.

They are indeed very stupid, and will swim right up to you. Most times to check out that fish hanging off your waist.:eek: Never been grabbed by one though, as they are a bit shy.
The only thing that preys on them are juvenile Great White Shark. Adult Great White Sharks will also eat them once in a while. So aside from that, they virtually have no other natural predators.

BigJB
06-20-2010, 7:19 AM
We spearfishermen see BSB (Black Sea Bass) all the time.
They have made a HUGE comeback. Divers have posted videos of them in schools of over 50 fish.
I'd say while diving Catalina, I will see some BSB on at least 1/3 dives.
Seen some really big ones too, about 350-400lbs.

They are indeed very stupid, and will swim right up to you. Most times to check out that fish hanging off your waist.:eek: Never been grabbed by one though, as they are a bit shy.
The only thing that preys on them are juvenile Great White Shark. Adult Great White Sharks will also eat them once in a while. So aside from that, they virtually have no other natural predators.

Sea Lions absolutely destroy many a BSB. Most BSB are in the 50# range, and still just as slow and dumb, when they school it for the spawn, el leons have a fiesta de Mero.

I have met a few or more spearfishermen who come to Mex to legally spear giant BSB and Grouper, they get pretty bent went I wont let them do it from my boat. Plenty of other spearguys perfectly content to spear the huuge YT, Dorado, Halibut, Cabrilla, Pargo, schoolie YFT with the occasional 50 pounder or bigger.

drunktank
06-21-2010, 10:59 PM
About 5 or 6 years ago we went fishing in Newport bay on a 14' boat and my buddy caught a small BSB. It was relatively small, about the size of a bigger trout. Anyhow caught it in like 15 seconds, saw what it was and released it. I had no idea what it was.

Lil Bawbee
06-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Someone from get bent caught a small one (well small for a bsb) from the surf on one of the ventura state beaches north of emma wood

Casual_Shooter
06-22-2010, 7:43 AM
Seen them while diving off of La Jolla Cove. Amazing to see such a big fish up close.