PDA

View Full Version : El Dorado County's Next Sheriff

308sniper
06-18-2010, 9:40 AM
Hello All,
A good friend advised me to visit your website and post a thread with the intent of introducing myself.

My name is John D'Agostini. I am a candidate for Sheriff of El Dorado County in the upcoming general election on November 2.

My stance on Second Amendment issues as well as CCW issuance is clear and has been posted on this site as well as in numerous publications including the Mountain Democrat and El Dorado Hills Telegraph newspapers. I have not swayed in my position on these issues in the twenty previous candidates forums I attended, when meeting and talking to thousands of residents or since my childhood for that matter. I strongly believe our founding fathers intended the Second Amendment as "teeth" to protect the rest of our constitution.

As a law abiding resident of the county, who desires to carry a concealed weapon, who is willing to go through the state mandated hoops such as full background check and training and bear the responsibility of carrying a concealed weapon, it is not my place as Sheriff to deny you that right.

In fact, California should follow suit with other states in this nation and become a "Shall" issue state thereby taking the subjective definition of good cause away from liberal county Sheriff's. My definition of good cause will be "Personal Protection" with justification. Meaning; give me a reason. The current threshold of proving imminent threat to life or that one carries large amounts of valuables or currency is contrary to case law that disallows the use of deadly force in protection of property. Therefore, why is "Personal Protection" not good cause. Again, give me a reason such as "I hike in the mountains", "I take my family to the park", or "I drive county roads late at night".

Please visit my website, www.johndagostini.com to learn more about who I am, my background and my position on this and other issues.

We came in first in the primary with a very grassroots style campaign. We will continue on the same path. If you have any further questions that are not answered on the website, I encourage you to call me on my cell phone, 530-396-0653. If I don't answer (I get many calls) please leave a message and I will return your call as soon as I can.

I'd also like to explain my user name, 308sniper. I was a SWAT sniper and took that duty extremely seriously. Of many of my collateral duties in my career, sniper was one of the most rewarding and challenging. The core function of my assignment was intelligence gathering and to protect the lives of my fellow team members as well as the public I served.

I look forward to serving as Sheriff of El Dorado County.

John D'Agostini

Billy Jack
06-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Hello All,
A good friend advised me to visit your website and post a thread with the intent of introducing myself.

My name is John D'Agostini. I am a candidate for Sheriff of El Dorado County in the upcoming general election on November 2.

My stance on Second Amendment issues as well as CCW issuance is clear and has been posted on this site as well as in numerous publications including the Mountain Democrat and El Dorado Hills Telegraph newspapers. I have not swayed in my position on these issues in the twenty previous candidates forums I attended, when meeting and talking to thousands of residents or since my childhood for that matter. I strongly believe our founding fathers intended the Second Amendment as "teeth" to protect the rest of our constitution.

As a law abiding resident of the county, who desires to carry a concealed weapon, who is willing to go through the state mandated hoops such as full background check and training and bear the responsibility of carrying a concealed weapon, it is not my place as Sheriff to deny you that right.

In fact, California should follow suit with other states in this nation and become a "Shall" issue state thereby taking the subjective definition of good cause away from liberal county Sheriff's. My definition of good cause will be "Personal Protection" with justification. Meaning; give me a reason. The current threshold of proving imminent threat to life or that one carries large amounts of valuables or currency is contrary to case law that disallows the use of deadly force in protection of property. Therefore, why is "Personal Protection" not good cause. Again, give me a reason such as "I hike in the mountains", "I take my family to the park", or "I drive county roads late at night".

Please visit my website, www.johndagostini.com to learn more about who I am, my background and my position on this and other issues.

We came in first in the primary with a very grassroots style campaign. We will continue on the same path. If you have any further questions that are not answered on the website, I encourage you to call me on my cell phone, 530-396-0653. If I don't answer (I get many calls) please leave a message and I will return your call as soon as I can.

I'd also like to explain my user name, 308sniper. I was a SWAT sniper and took that duty extremely seriously. Of many of my collateral duties in my career, sniper was one of the most rewarding and challenging. The core function of my assignment was intelligence gathering and to protect the lives of my fellow team members as well as the public I served.

I look forward to serving as Sheriff of El Dorado County.

John D'Agostini

Be advised, your listed mobile number is not valid and your e-mail link on your website is not working. Other than that, you did a real professional post. I want to speak with you and I want to donate to your campaign. You are the only candidate that has had the integrity to not post they will be 'Shall Issue', currently illegal, if elected. Pride, Integrity, Guts!

Sincerely,

Billy Jack
Former Badge LASO

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

Barabas
06-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for posting John! Your position makes me wish I'd looked just a couple of miles further east before buying a house. I'll be sure to suggest to those friends of mine in your county to take a look at your site and post here before voting.

Gray Peterson
06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Be advised, your listed mobile number is not valid and your e-mail link on your website is not working. Other than that, you did a real professional post. I want to speak with you and I want to donate to your campaign. You are the only candidate that has had the integrity to not post they will be 'Shall Issue', currently illegal, if elected. Pride, Integrity, Guts!

Sincerely,

Billy Jack
Former Badge LASO

Let me point out something to everyone before people jump on Billy Jack's case here.

Shall-issue is the idea of someone applying for a license, not giving any good cause at all, and still getting it. This is not currently California law. There are 20 or 25 sheriffs that issue where your good cause is "personal protection", and as long as you don't write down that your good cause is "I want to rob a bank, too", you would be OK.

Glock22Fan
06-18-2010, 10:55 AM

Sincerely,

Billy Jack
Former Badge LASO

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com)

Hopefully, BJ's post will lay to rest once and forever the impression that some people have that BJ favors CCW for the elite and opposes "Shall Issue."

It is true that, following Californian law as it stands at present, BJ has often stated that sheriffs should not announce that they are "shall Issue" as he believes that to be against the spirit of 12050 and illegal.

However, here we have BJ not only endorsing this sheriff candidate but also offering to send money. And, this candidate announces that he is not able to go "Shall Issue," but actually will issue to anybody prepared to go through the hoops as long as he or she can write a Good Cause no more complex than, in his words:

Therefore, why is "Personal Protection" not good cause. Again, give me a reason such as "I hike in the mountains", "I take my family to the park", or "I drive county roads late at night".

BJ's stance is, and always has been, that the clients that we help should have a Good Cause that passes the policy of the jurisdiction where the client is applying and that there is no point in applying on a "walking in the park" basis in, say, Los Angeles. He has no problem with you offering "I go walking in the park" if the local policy indicates that that is acceptable.

In the past, some of you have beaten the messenger for telling them news they didn't want to hear. Let it now be clear that the news is generated by PC 12050 and not Billy Jack himself.

On my own behalf, let me applaud John D'Agostini's attitude. If only all sheriffs had the same beliefs. Now, what's the housing and weather like in El Dorado?

Socom16Fan
06-18-2010, 7:02 PM
Guys,

I am a long time El Dorado County resident. I advised John register and to post here.

I had the opportunity to meet and have a small group round table discussion with John D'Agostini this week and he is the real deal when it comes to supporting our 2A rights. This was my first actual meeting in person with him.

Mr. D'Agostini is a multiple generation El Dorado resident and is NOT a political outsider stumping for the vote on any one issue. He strikes me as a common sense no BS guy who is in favor of our community and CG's common goals. I for one have given full support to John D'Agostini.

For the record, I am not related or affiliated with this candidate though we do have mutual friends. I am absolutely convinced that if he is elected he will and has more in common with our cause for the 2A including all that we are striving for.

If anyone wants to PM me I am happy to share my experience and thoughts on this candidate.

Good luck John!

Jerkdog
06-18-2010, 8:11 PM
Thanks for posting John! Your position makes me wish I'd looked just a couple of miles further east before buying a house. I'll be sure to suggest to those friends of mine in your county to take a look at your site and post here before voting.

Me too...I'm literally like 800 feet from the County line. D*** it!

coq
06-18-2010, 8:24 PM
Thanks, John. I'm and El Dorado County resident, small business owner, family man, avid shooter and CCW. I'll be forwarding this thread to all my friends. You have my sincere best wishes.

Hogxtz
06-19-2010, 9:34 AM
Thanks, John. I'm and El Dorado County resident, small business owner, family man, avid shooter and CCW. I'll be forwarding this thread to all my friends. You have my sincere best wishes.

Me too! He's our guy for Sheriff. Question for John though, after you win can we call you simply, Sheriff D? Hehe

Larry Hennick
06-19-2010, 11:46 PM
As the time draws near please join me in supporting JOHN FOR SHERIFF OF El Dorado County, as I campaigned alongside him at four days of gun shows in Placerville, he was the only other candidate besides myself who was there.

His views on CCW issuance were the closest to my own and I do believe he will keep his word if elected, we need to protect our rights and be sure our elected officals have our interests first and foremost.

Be sure to ask the pressing questions as the debates are presented and support his efforts as I will, thanks to all in advance.:D:)

NorCalDustin
06-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Your opinions on CCW aside (which I happen to like & support), I truly feel that you will do the best job for the entire community.

Good luck!

Larry Hennick
06-20-2010, 7:33 PM
Thanks so much. I will always do my very best for our County and keep our rights as my frist priority, thanks again....:cool::cool2::):D

308sniper
06-20-2010, 9:38 PM
Just a quick reply from my blackberry.
Thank you all for everything.
Socom and Larry, thank you very much.
The website is working now and my corrected phone number is:
530-306-0653.
John D'Agostini
308sniper

30rdMag
06-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Good luck with everything. Outside of the ccw issue, You sound like a stand up guy with some hands on. I hope you get the backing of your department and the guys you work with. Being that you were a sniper, They all know you got their backs in some tough times.

How is the budget looking for your department?
What cut backs have you seen over the last year or so?
Plans of getting more money for the department?
How is your departments equipment? You feel its up to par?
What do you foresee the countys future problems and tough points will be?
Jails? population in them?

I am forwarding all this to all my friends up in your county. I lived in Camron park for a few years.

BigJim_610
06-21-2010, 3:28 PM
We met Friday afternoon and I filled out your flyer. Subscribing to this post.

Billy Jack
06-21-2010, 5:41 PM
We met Friday afternoon and I filled out your flyer. Subscribing to this post.

John is the type of professional that I can wholeheartedly support. I am having my webmaster link his site to ours. I spoke to him earlier today and I am impressed that he wants to take law enforcement back to a gentler, friendlier time where citizens interacted with LEOS on a less confrontational basis. Where patrol Deputies took the time to meet and introduce themselves to citizens in their patrol area.

I am behind that as well as his rational CCW policy. It is his discretion to accept 'Personal Protection' as Good Cause and he intends to do so. He does not say he will go 'Shall Issue' as that is currently contrary to current state law. He has an intelligent approach that does not pander to 5150's.

Billy Jack
'The Force is strong with this one'

swhatb
06-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I may just move to El Dorado County and support their economy instead Silicon Valley! My business may be moving as well!

John is the type of professional that I can wholeheartedly support. I am having my webmaster link his site to ours. I spoke to him earlier today and I am impressed that he wants to take law enforcement back to a gentler, friendlier time where citizens interacted with LEOS on a less confrontational basis. Where patrol Deputies took the time to meet and introduce themselves to citizens in their patrol area.

I am behind that as well as his rational CCW policy. It is his discretion to accept 'Personal Protection' as Good Cause and he intends to do so. He does not say he will go 'Shall Issue' as that is currently contrary to current state law. He has an intelligent approach that does not pander to 5150's.

Billy Jack
'The Force is strong with this one'

jeferd
06-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Great to have you as part of the calguns community...Good Luck John...Look forward to putting an X in your box in November

308sniper
06-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Hello All,
John here.
Thanks again for all your support and confidence. We are planning many events between now and the election in November. If you would like to know what's going on and where, go to my website, www.johndagostini.com, sign up on the support link and we'll get you in the database to get email blasts about the events. We won't fill your inbox.

To answer 30rdMag's questions:

How is the budget looking for your department?
What cut backs have you seen over the last year or so?
Not good. The current administration has cut the fat over the last few years and also saved through attrition. The numbers I've been told I will be looking at cutting the first year of my term go as high as 9.5 million. That's huge. I'll be working closely with the BOS and hope their priorities stay with funding law and justice to lessen that blow. We'll be OK though. I've identified areas where we can save significantly and am sure I'll find more once I get a "True" look at the books (still haven't been able to get eyes on a line item budget. Only the fund line budget on the county's website)

Plans of getting more money for the department?
Again, working hard with the BOS to maintain adequate funding and seeking good, tail-less grants. There are a lot of them out there that aren't being pursued.

How is your departments equipment? You feel its up to par?
From talking with current staff, I feel the current equipment is up to par. We need to stay vigilant and ahead of the curve when it comes to technology because the crooks do.

What do you foresee the county's future problems and tough points will be?
Obviously the budget and maintaining staffing. My priorities in this area are the Deputies on the street and the support staff necessary to that core function. Gangs are also an increasing issue that we will need to stay on top of.

Jails? population in them?
The new jail is, in my opinion, adequate at this time. I have a Sheriff Joe attitude and will look at all options available within the constraints of Title 15 to make the jail less appealing to recidivist criminals. The population is not an issue at this time and there is opportunity to generate more revenue there by housing state and federal inmates in transit.

Thanks again and I look forward to serving as your next Sheriff.
John

Socom16Fan
06-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Hey John,

Good to see you are making some connections here. Let me know next time you are around and lets grab a coffee with Todd.

NorCalDustin
09-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I just wanted to give John's thread a bump here...

We all need to make sure we get the word out on who to vote for come November.

Gray Peterson
09-05-2010, 11:14 PM
El Dorado Sheriff's Office hit with sexual harassment suit, sheriff candidate Craig Therkildsen named (http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/28/2919280/el-dorado-sheriffs-office-hit.html)

Therkildsen needs to go. "Good Old Boys" networks rob people of honest services, and opens up lawsuits of this form. John, will you clean house of this crap?

Socom16Fan
09-06-2010, 6:36 PM
John! Hey man I owe you a phone call. Was out of town.

Folks, John is a good man with a great outlook on our 2A rights. I have had the pleasure of spending time with John and as we have mutual freinds, I have been fortunate to meet and spend time with his family. John is a principled stand up man who will do everything in his power to fix all that is wrong and broken in our Sheriff's office both politically and functionally.

Anyone can feel free to contact me to get a citizens perspective on John as a candidate. I have been promised personally by John that he will create policy in regards to respecting the 2A that will serve what is right, just, and lawful. In other words he is on our side folks!

craneman
09-06-2010, 6:49 PM
Man I am jealous. You guys get a LEO running for the Sheriff's Office who "gets it". Not only that, but it sounds as if he is a man of Honor and Integrity. What do we get here in San Diego? Crap..... nothin but crap.

Mr. John D'Agostini I wish you the best of luck in you run for office. If I lived there, I would vote for ya.

BigJim_610
09-07-2010, 8:12 AM
John got some signs up this weekend, we need more.

Merle
09-07-2010, 8:47 AM
How about "Would you support a reserve/special deputy program so that people who are willing to jump through the appropriate hoops be able to qualify under HR 218 LEOSA and carry CCW in all 50 states?"

Andy Taylor
09-07-2010, 1:06 PM
John, Good luck sir. You are the kind of man we need in our top LE positions. Unfortunately, my county has no good option for sheriff.

otteray
09-07-2010, 7:06 PM
John got some signs up this weekend, we need more.

I'll be up from Santa Cruz again to visit my place in Tahoma within the next few weeks.
I'd be happy to have a sign in my front yard. Can one be dropped off there?
I could PM my street address.

Gray Peterson
09-07-2010, 7:21 PM
John,

If a federal judge in either the Sykes or Peruta cases rules that the application of the "good cause" requirement in PC12050 beyond "self defense" is unconstitutional, will you follow the decision of the court without requiring a separate lawsuit being filed against the El Dorado Sheriff's Office?

vincewarde
09-07-2010, 8:57 PM
As the time draws near please join me in supporting JOHN FOR SHERIFF OF El Dorado County, as I campaigned alongside him at four days of gun shows in Placerville, he was the only other candidate besides myself who was there.

His views on CCW issuance were the closest to my own and I do believe he will keep his word if elected, we need to protect our rights and be sure our elected officals have our interests first and foremost.

Be sure to ask the pressing questions as the debates are presented and support his efforts as I will, thanks to all in advance.:D:)

I was at the gun show and was honored to meet both of you. I believe that either of you would make a very good sheriff. Your endorsement increases my support for John, and my respect for you.

cmichini
09-08-2010, 8:28 AM
Excerpt from Sniper308's original post:

... it is not my place as Sheriff to deny you that right...

This phrase is what caught my attention. This, in my opinion, is the exact mindset that I wish more elected officials would embrace. A constitutional right should not be subject to the whim of a power elite, that's why it's enumerated as a RIGHT.

I don't live in ED county, so I can't vote for you. But I wish you good luck, a successful campaign, a landslide victory, and good fortunes for yourself, your department and staff.

Cheers,

And finally, welcome to calguns and thank you for your service the community!!!

jeferd
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Voted for you in the primary and will be again in November...as many have not followed the Sheriff's race too closely, I speak up whenever appropriate to help guide them to making their vote a wise one....good luck..

nrgcruizer
09-08-2010, 5:11 PM
I really don't care what county you're in. Where can I volunteer my time to help in your campaign? Can anyone outside of your county come in just to put up signs, or organize a group in the malls just to pass out flyers? I'm in Contra Costa county & would mobilize in the state just to send a message to all sheriffs in the state that even if we don't reside within their borders, we will affect the votes.

BigJim_610
09-22-2010, 10:05 AM
John,

Craig has 2 times as many signs up as you. How about getting some more up?

308sniper
09-24-2010, 1:25 AM
Hello All,
First, I apologize for my absence. Things are heating up in this race and I have been extremely busy. For those of you that have been watching the news I'm sure you understand. "And the games begin."

I want to take a minute and respond to some of the questions posed on the forum.

MERLE
Your idea sounds very reasonable. I would absolutely consider this but would need to check the law and what you describe as "hoops". I do plan on rebuilding the office's now defunct reserve program and in doing this, the time may be ripe to broaden the focus regarding levels of reserve programs, volunteer duties, etc. After the election, get in touch with me and we'll discuss it further. My cell is listed at the top of this forum.

OTTERAY
At the current time we are out of yard signs but have them on the way. I will have them available on September 30th at Sienna Restaurant in El Dorado Hills where a supporter is hosting a meet and greet. My sign chairman is working his way up and over the hill and if you have a location for a 4x4 he can probably make that happen. You can call or text me on my cell listed at the top of this forum.

Gray Peterson
I'm not sure I understand your question. Why would EDSO be sued if I was following the law?

NRGCRUIZER
Any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Our campaign team has dates scheduled to walk precincts and post in front of grocery stores. If you're up for this, please go to my website, www.johndagostini.com, click the support link and sign up. My team will contact you if extra help is needed. Thank you in advance for your support.

BigJim_60
Your correct, my opponent has more signs up in certain areas but I can assure you, we are doing just as well if not better in all others. My sign chairman is fantastic and you can look forward to seeing new signs popping up all over the county.

Well, that takes care of the questions. I want to thank you all again for your support. The campaign is steaming ahead and I feel confident, with continued hard work by all, we will be victorious on November 2.

Thanks again and I look forward to serving as your Sheriff,
John D'Agostini

BigJim_610
09-24-2010, 7:30 AM
D’Agostini targeted in undercover tape

By Jim Ratajczak | Democrat staff writer | September 23, 2010 13:40

When El Dorado County sheriff’s candidate John D’Agostini met with voters at PJ’s Saloon in El Dorado last week, he had no idea the question-and-answer session was being recorded by law enforcement.

But an undercover sheriff’s deputy conducting a sting operation at the Placerville bar taped D’Agostini making “somewhat inflammatory” remarks, according to Sheriff Fred Kollar.

“We had no idea D’Agostini was going to be there,” said Kollar. “We were not there with the express intent to tape D’Agostini.”

On Sept. 14 D’Agostini was invited to meet with members of the local chapter of the Modified Motorcycles Association to discuss his campaign and plans for the department.

Topics covered included the candidate’s stance on medical marijuana, concealed weapons licenses and his potential pick for undersheriff.

Kollar called the MMA a “sub-group” of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club and said undercover officers monitor their meetings “fairly regularly.”

A copy of the 25-minute audio recording was requested by the Mountain Democrat under the Public Records Act. Kollar said the tape is edited only at the beginning and end to protect the identity of the undercover officer.

The remarks that have ruffled the feathers of some in the department came while the candidate was discussing a “culture change” in the Sheriff’s Department.

D’Agostini told the gathered audience that, if elected, he would challenge the sheriff’s status quo and that he expected to face opposition along the way.

“I guarantee you within 72 hours of me taking office ... someone is going to step up and test the waters with me,” he said. “How I handle that is going to set the tone for the next eight, 12, 16 years of my administration. Me and (my undersheriff) don’t have any problem with ripping somebody’s head off, putting it on a pole and parading it around and saying, ‘This will not be tolerated.’”

A male audience member quickly replied: “Basically, you’re telling us you’re going to effect change in the department?”

“Yes, sir,” answered D’Agostini.

Kollar said the remark, as well as the fact D’Agostini would even speak with MMA members in the first place, has raised eyebrows within the department.

“I’ve had a number of people who commented to me (and asked why) he would even meet with an outlaw motorcycle group,” the sheriff said.

Kollar does not know who first alerted the media of the tape’s existence but said he is “not looking to discipline anyone.”

D’Agostini’s opponent, sheriff’s Capt. Craig Therkildsen, said the comment has him worried.

“I heard what everybody else heard,” he said. “I’m offended by his attitude and I’m concerned for our community and our deputies.”

D’Agostini, though, said this most recent attack is an example of dirty politics.

“The comment I made was a figure of speech of how I will confront the status quo at the Sheriff’s Office,” he said. “We need to improve the way we do business, run an effective, efficient and fair Sheriff’s Office and concentrate on being more involved with the people we serve. This attack is nothing short of negative campaigning, which I have not and will not do.”

D’Agostini said he speaks to any group that requests his time and that the MMA has “the same concerns and questions as most citizens in El Dorado County.”

R.J. Carter, founder of the local MMA chapter, also said the outcry amounts to nothing more than a smear campaign.

The MMA is not affiliated with the Hells Angels and no illegal activity was occurring at the public meeting, he said. The MMA regularly invites speakers to its meetings and, in addition to D’Agostini, has had Supervisor Ray Nutting speak in the past, said Carter.

“This is the kind of stuff (the Sheriff’s Department is) doing with taxpayers’ money,” said Carter.

Carter said both sheriff’s candidates were invited to speak to the group, but that Therkildsen had not responded to the invitation.

In the audio recording, Carter expresses his frustration at constant profiling at the hands of the Sheriff’s Department.

“We’re their bogeyman,” he told D’Agostini. “No matter what we’re doing, we’re their bogeyman.”

In his reply, D’Agostini again emphasized the need for a culture change.

“It’s the whole attitude,” he said. “The ‘us’ and ‘them’ mentality. It’s the culture. That’s what’s got to change ... It’s just the attitude.”

After, D’Agostini challenged audience members to get better acquainted with local law enforcement.

“We’re in this together,” he told them.

On Thursday, D’Agostini stood his ground and insisted the statements were taken out of context.

“The bottom line is that my campaign and vision for the future is a threat to the status quo at the Sheriff’s Office,” he said.

E-mail Jim Ratajczak at jratajczak@mtdemocrat.net or call 530-344-5071.

Barabas
09-24-2010, 8:11 AM
You've got a lot of work ahead of you John, good luck with your campaign! I hope you're able to turn EDSD around, looks like it's needed.

TahoeSig
09-24-2010, 8:46 AM
John D:

I too live in El Dorado County and am a contributor/supporter of your campaign. Unfortunately, I haven't made it to any of your functions yet to meet you personally. Like many here, I find your positions and attitude refreshing. Given your apparent position on state law for ccw, would you continue the current department policy of additional restrictions on ccw permits that began within the last few years? State law has a clearly defined list of sensitive areas where carrying is off limits. The department has added to those with no definable good reason other than political correctness. It would seem to me that the legislature spoke clearly in the statutes and additional restrictions really aren't warranted provided permit holders abide by all the requirements of the permit (especially maintaining concealment). I once queried the current Sheriff about his willingness to provide an exemption to the additional restrictions and was told the department wouldn't give one. Do you find the specific sensitive area restrictions written into state law to be sufficient and would you revert back to an otherwise "unrestricted ccw" policy if elected?

NorCalDustin
09-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Carter said both sheriff's candidates were invited to speak to the group, but that Therkildsen had not responded to the invitation.

Yeah... A Captian of the EDSD is also invited, does not show up, and the SD just happens to send a UC to record everything.

mmmkay...

At this point Therkildsen is grasping at straws and rankly its not very graceful to loose like that. AND, not to mention its a waste of $$$$, $$$$ that the entire state (the SD included, at least i would imagine) is short on.

thatrogue
09-24-2010, 1:21 PM
John I run a business in El Dorado Hills and rent in Roseville, Ca ... I might just start looking to buy a house in El Dorado County with a Sheriff like you running the show. Good luck with the race John.

Sounds like some Sons of Anarchy type stuff going on there, buddy. ;).... is there any real evidence of these guys being a criminal street gang associated or affiliated with H.A

Gray Peterson
09-24-2010, 1:58 PM
Hello All,

Gray Peterson
I'm not sure I understand your question. Why would EDSO be sued if I was following the law?

Thanks again and I look forward to serving as your Sheriff,
John D'Agostini

Let me repeat the question, since it didn't get made clear:

John,

If a federal judge in either the Sykes or Peruta cases rules that the application of the "good cause" requirement in PC12050 beyond "self defense" is unconstitutional, will you follow the decision of the court without requiring a separate lawsuit being filed against the El Dorado Sheriff's Office?

There are two lawsuits that have been filed against three different sheriffs, Sacramento, Yolo, and San Diego Counties. The San Diego case is called Peruta v. County of San Diego, and the Sacto/Yolo case is Sykes v. McGinness. Sykes in particular was filed in the Eastern District of California, which El Dorado is in that particular jurisdiction. As of right now, your policy seems to be a requirement of something slightly more than "self defense" as good cause. Under 42USC1983, a person can sue for injunctive relief against the enforcement of sheriff's policy and state law on the basis of the 14th amendment's application of "bear" of RKBA to the state of California.

You cannot shield yourself using "state law" from engaging in unconstitutional action, especially from potentially tens of thousands of dollars worth of attorneys fees. Good cause and good moral character are your only discretionary provisions allowed to you under state law, but the way you enforce such discretionary provisions cannot violate the US constitution.

The safest course of action for your department to not get socked with attorneys fees and court costs is to just issue to anyone who qualifies under state law under PC12051/PC12052 and accept any good cause that does not suggest criminal purposes or psychological insanity. "Self defense" is good enough good cause for 20 other counties in California, it should be for El Dorado, especially post-McDonald where it is now a fundamental right to keep arms in the home and bear in public in case of confrontation with the criminal element.

I may not reside in El Dorado County, but as you can see in the Jim Cooper thread, my suggestions from what people are saying on this forum has plenty of merit and support.

vincewarde
09-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah... A Captian of the EDSD is also invited, does not show up, and the SD just happens to send a UC to record everything.

mmmkay...

At this point Therkildsen is grasping at straws and rankly its not very graceful to loose like that. AND, not to mention its a waste of $$$$, $$$$ that the entire state (the SD included, at least i would imagine) is short on.

+1 on all of the above.

It is also worth noting that the "biker culture" is much wider than it used to be, and much more law abiding. I just happen to be an ordained minister, and one of my former bishops was a biker (probably still is, he's now pastoring our largest churches in Idaho) - he was joined in this activity by more than one of my fellow pastors. My next door neighbor is a hard working, law abiding man - and both he and his wife are bikers too.

IMHO this will probably backfire.

BigJim_610
09-30-2010, 10:40 AM
There seems to be way more Craig signs than John sign out there.

meehafr
10-01-2010, 3:06 PM
Wow, that is a startling article. It is time for some new leadership. John D'Agostini for El Dorado County Sheriff!

Dinan5e39
10-06-2010, 5:19 PM
Sheriff Koller says the tape was done for intelligence reasons?
Then said that there is no ongoing criminal investigation?

Sheriff Koller says that he didn't know his undercover agents would be at PJ Saloon the night of the recordings?

----- Koller has deputies doing intelligence work on the MMA "Modified Motorcycle Association" that has no criminal investigation going on and said he didn't know his undercover agents were there???

Why would undercover agents be doing intelligence work on a association that is made up of many motorcycle clubs that aren’t under investigation?
(please tell us Sheriff Koller, is it wasted tax dollars or are you lying)…

Even if D'Agostini met with the "Hells Angels" that would be great!! We need to make sure everyone has their questions answered and we need a Sheriff that will stand up for everyone's rights without discrimination!

Socom16Fan
10-06-2010, 6:32 PM
Let me repeat the question, since it didn't get made clear:

There are two lawsuits that have been filed against three different sheriffs, Sacramento, Yolo, and San Diego Counties. The San Diego case is called Peruta v. County of San Diego, and the Sacto/Yolo case is Sykes v. McGinness. Sykes in particular was filed in the Eastern District of California, which El Dorado is in that particular jurisdiction. As of right now, your policy seems to be a requirement of something slightly more than "self defense" as good cause. Under 42USC1983, a person can sue for injunctive relief against the enforcement of sheriff's policy and state law on the basis of the 14th amendment's application of "bear" of RKBA to the state of California.

You cannot shield yourself using "state law" from engaging in unconstitutional action, especially from potentially tens of thousands of dollars worth of attorneys fees. Good cause and good moral character are your only discretionary provisions allowed to you under state law, but the way you enforce such discretionary provisions cannot violate the US constitution.

The safest course of action for your department to not get socked with attorneys fees and court costs is to just issue to anyone who qualifies under state law under PC12051/PC12052 and accept any good cause that does not suggest criminal purposes or psychological insanity. "Self defense" is good enough good cause for 20 other counties in California, it should be for El Dorado, especially post-McDonald where it is now a fundamental right to keep arms in the home and bear in public in case of confrontation with the criminal element.

I may not reside in El Dorado County, but as you can see in the Jim Cooper thread, my suggestions from what people are saying on this forum has plenty of merit and support.

Gray,

I am not sure I am following you either. Mr. D'Agostini has stated clearly in public, in writing, and as a campaign promise he will issue CCW with personal defense being "good cause". I certainly respect you and the effforts you have made for all of us on CG but this seems to be freindly fire...Maybe I missed something?

For the record I know John personally and campaign for him every chance I get. John is the right man for, and far beyond the CCW issue to remove the current civil rights violations, cronieism, bigotry, and resource mismanagement by the past and current Sheriffs office in our county.

If there is any questions I am sure John can answer them or if you want the opinion of active voter and friend of his in our county feel free to contact me personally and I am glad to share all that is happening in this race. I am happy to give you my telephone # via PM if requested.

Regards.

Socom16Fan
10-06-2010, 6:39 PM

mmmkay...

Cronieism, lying, and IMO illegal use of LE resources for the purpose of influencing an election. This has already backfired on Therkildesen and Kollar in via public opinion. Kollar doesnt care because he is an interim apointee (by the County Board of Superviors) with a nice $ package and retirement as soon as the next elected sheriff takes office. He is laughing all the way to the bank. Corruption at its finest! Booooooo....!

BigJim_610
10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I was reading the Democrat letters to the editor and saw this website. At first I thought it was Craigs, but it is not.

If half of what is true on this sight I have some serious concerns about county managers and our potential exposure to costly lawsuits.

My guess is alot of unhappy county employees contributed to some of the content. At any rate go to craig4sheriff.org and make up your own mind.

Gray Peterson
10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Gray,

I am not sure I am following you either. Mr. D'Agostini has stated clearly in public, in writing, and as a campaign promise he will issue CCW with personal defense being "good cause". I certainly respect you and the effforts you have made for all of us on CG but this seems to be freindly fire...Maybe I missed something?

For the record I know John personally and campaign for him every chance I get. John is the right man for, and far beyond the CCW issue to remove the current civil rights violations, cronieism, bigotry, and resource mismanagement by the past and current Sheriffs office in our county.

If there is any questions I am sure John can answer them or if you want the opinion of active voter and friend of his in our county feel free to contact me personally and I am glad to share all that is happening in this race. I am happy to give you my telephone # via PM if requested.

Regards.

I have spoken to him more recently than this original posting and my own posting in response that I asked twice (he PM'd me). Because of the phone call I had with Mr. D'Agostini since I posted that, he has advised me that he will follow what Sykes asked for without having to be sued: "Good cause=self defense", "good moral character=clear PC12052 background check".

BigJim_610
11-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Vote for John tomorrow