PDA

View Full Version : Moving to California need advise on what is legal.

rjh4758
06-18-2010, 7:13 AM
My job is relocating me to Irvine and I am an avid gun collector/shooter. I am unfamiliar with Californias gun restrictions. I will list some of the guns that I am concerned about, all are in original configuration unless noted.

Bushmaster AR Model? Fixed stock, no flash supp., pistol grip
MAK-90
TEC9 Preban
SKS with muzzlebrake and fixed 10 rd mag
SKS-D accepts AK mags
NHM-91
H&K G3 variant
SPAS 12
Hi-point 9mm carbine
Mosseberg with 18" barrel and pistol grip on stock and fore
arm- not original
Pistols with double stack mags.
Ruger Mini-14

Geo
06-18-2010, 7:38 AM
No.
No.
No.
Maybe.
Maybe.
?
No.
No.
No.
Yes.
?
No (mags).
Yes.

Welcome to this ef'd up state.

97F1504RAD
06-18-2010, 7:51 AM
Geo is correct most of the items listed on your list are a no go. And all high capacity magazines are a no go as well in their assembled usable form. You can disassemble the high capacity mags and bring them into the state but you cannot reassemble them and use them. You may only use them out of state. Even the Mossberg shotgun must meet a minimum length and it may not with just the pistol grip.

Here is a link to the flow chart and anything listed cannot be brought into this state.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

And here is the shotgun flowchart:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

shooting4life
06-18-2010, 8:02 AM
And bring some 1911 frames with you.

BluNorthern
06-18-2010, 8:38 AM
Sucks, doesn't it?

Rem1492
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Irvine is a nice place, SoCal has great weather and you will find plenty of things to do. There arent as many shooting ranges or places to go screw off near Irvine anyways.

So even if you had all the no-go guns, you'd probably not shoot them as much anyways.
I'd grease em up and leave them with a relative. You may find that shooting .22s in an indoor range is the fastest and most inexpensive way to get your shooting fix.

If you really had to bring all your no-go stuff to CA, Id disassemble it into very small parts and store it in the attic or something. Store the recevier at your in-laws or something. While CA is like East Germany, there arent border inspections of household good move vehicles. ....yet. And nobody at a CA range has ever looked at my guns or mags, for the record.

Is the move to CA permanent, or for a few years?
Yeah, bring 1911 frames, you will be everybody's friend. :)

Decoligny
06-18-2010, 11:14 AM
My job is relocating me to Irvine and I am an avid gun collector/shooter. I am unfamiliar with Californias gun restrictions. I will list some of the guns that I am concerned about, all are in original configuration unless noted.

MAK-90
TEC9 Preban
SKS-D accepts AK mags
NHM-91
H&K G3 variant
SPAS 12
Hi-point 9mm carbine There is a bullet Button available for the Hi-Point. This will make it CA legal.Mosseberg with 18" barrel and pistol grip on stock and fore
arm- not original
Pistols with double stack mags. Pistols are probably OK as long as they don't have threaded barrels. The mags need to 10 rounds or less. Any mags that are over 10 rounds need to be disassembled or permanently converted to accept no more than 10 round.Ruger Mini-14

See above

SickofSoCal
06-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Grease them and leave them.

You will be moving back sooner than you think.

LAK Supply
06-18-2010, 11:55 AM
The better question is what's NOT illegal in CA.

CaliforniaLiberal
06-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Welcome to CalGuns rjh4758.

What a sad thread.

I know we talk about this stuff all day long but a post like this just brings it in so personal.

Stick around OP, we have lots of gumption, ambition, stubbornness and hope and you may see a lot of good changes to California Gun Law in the next couple of years. The momentum of the courts is changing and is starting to move our way.

SickofSoCal
06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Where oh where oh where is my CETME?

My dearly beloved CETME, my cherished CETME, my most precious CETME.

Where art thous oh glorious CETME?

OleCuss
06-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea of disassembling illegal firearms and bringing them into the state anyway (post #6). I'd have no problem doing that with the magazines (makes them a rebuild kit which you just won't use as long as you're in Kalifornia) - but the firearms can get you into a world of hurt.

If it's got a serial number on it I would consider it to be a firearm and if it is illegal in Kalifornia either sell it or store it before you arrive.

Oh, and BB=Bullet Button. It is a thing of wonder which will make certain items legal which would otherwise be illegal.

rjh4758
06-18-2010, 12:58 PM
WOW. Well I guess I might as well grease them up and ship most of my guns back east with my parents along with the 60 gun gun safe and all the ammo.

Lead-Thrower
06-18-2010, 1:29 PM
I mourn for your loss of freedom. :(

BluNorthern
06-18-2010, 1:56 PM
WOW. Well I guess I might as well grease them up and ship most of my guns back east with my parents along with the 60 gun gun safe and all the ammo.
Maybe you could get your company to boycott Cali and set up shop in a free state...like Arizona or Idaho.

rjh4758
06-18-2010, 3:04 PM
Unfortunately, I am moving from OK, which is a very gun friendly state. I have a lot of "assault type " firearms, dozens of high cap mags, armor piercing ammo just because I could.

Looks like it is sell off or ship back to PA to store it at a relatives house if I do not remain in California. heartbreaking discission:(.

I talked with one of my co-workers that is also relocating. He also has quite a few guns as well and he said that he is just going to take them, but from what I understand that is a felony. Not something I want to deal with.

ke6guj
06-18-2010, 3:24 PM
look real good at the rifle flowchart for the exact name/model listed on the receiver to see if it is listed on the flowchart. If it is, no go. If it isn't, then it can probably be made CA-legal.

For instance, you mentioned "HK G3 variant". That isn't enough info to determine if it is a listed AW or not. And if it isn't listed, (items like the Springield Armory SAR-8 is not illegal by name, same with pretty much anything actually marked G3 (in semi-auto)), then it can be made CA-legal with a little work.

If you have any questions, you can list the exact markings and someone can help you determine if that exact make/model is bueno or no bueno.

rjh4758
06-18-2010, 3:25 PM
Is the move to CA permanent, or for a few years?
Yeah, bring 1911 frames, you will be everybody's friend. :)

Move is permanent (2 year min.), so I will be there a while. If I can not stand it I will relocate after 2 years.

stix213
06-18-2010, 6:16 PM
On the bright side, there are actually a surprising number of guns that ARE legal in CA. Most guns who's model was first released after the old banned lists were made a decade ago are legal. Even Saiga AK variant rifles are legal because the import company has changed (The current RAA Saiga is legal while the old K-USA Saiga is banned).

SteveH
06-18-2010, 11:56 PM
The better question is what's NOT illegal in CA.

Most handguns.
SKS
M1A
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
Mini-14
Mini-30
Camp9
Camp45
10/22
M1 Super 90
Rem PSS
Win 94

Meplat
06-19-2010, 2:05 AM
SKS is good to go unless the break is a flash Suppressor.

SKS with AK Mags, Big NO, NO.

Mossberg will be OK with a standard for end.

The Mini-14 is good to go if it has had no evil accessories attached, like flash hider, vertical fore grip, or folding stock. Limited to 10 Rnd. Max magazine capacity unless you owned them in CA before the ban.

I love my Mini-14 and I am up to my ears in pre-ban high caps for it. It’s amazing how much less evil a rifle becomes if you attach a little wood to it!

Check the flow chart.

Good Luck;)

MAK-90
TEC9 Preban
SKS-D accepts AK mags
NHM-91
H&K G3 variant
SPAS 12
Hi-point 9mm carbine
arm- not original
Ruger Mini-14

ke6guj
06-19-2010, 3:32 PM
Mossberg will be OK with a standard for end.
huh?

if it is a pump-action mossberg, it can have any forend he want, with a VFG or not.

If it is a semi-auto mossberg, it can have any forend he wants, including tht VFG, provided it does not have a folding/telescoping stock.

check the flow chart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

thayne
06-19-2010, 4:05 PM
for the ar, you could get an off list lower receiver and use your existing upper

kajvid
06-19-2010, 4:10 PM
[QUOTE=rjh4758;4477131]I talked with one of my co-workers that is also relocating. He also has quite a few guns as well and he said that he is just going to take them, but from what I understand that is a felony./QUOTE]

If I was him I wouldn't do it. I sure as heck wouldn't talk about doing it.

stitchnicklas
06-19-2010, 6:04 PM
man this thread is depressing,i vote shoot'em -grease'em -store'em.

because most folks i know that move to kalifornia move back to home state 2-3 yrs or less...leave the guns that are evil here at home statewith family in a gun safe with you owning the only key..........welcome to calguns sorry to hear you are coming to the state.i am out of here in 2 years and counting

sbrady@Michel&Associates
06-19-2010, 7:23 PM
The Mini-14 is good to go if it has had no evil accessories attached, like flash hider, vertical fore grip, or folding stock. Limited to 10 Rnd. Max magazine capacity unless you owned them in CA before the ban.

Check the flow chart.

Good Luck;)

^ This ^. If your Mini 14 has a pistol grip, it is likely a no go (I don't imagine people put bullet buttons on them in Oklahoma; if you don't know what a bullet button is, and you really have no reason to in free America, search this site). Look at the flow chart to make sure your Mini 14 is not an "assault weapon." Just to be clear, a thumbhole stock or folding/telescoping stock would be a no-no too. I just mentioned pistol grips because I know those are somewhat common on Mini 14s, I don't know about these other features.

CaliforniaLiberal
06-19-2010, 8:28 PM
Ooh, Ooh, me, me let me tell him what a bullet button is.

If you're not familiar with this first you'll think I'm lying, then you'll blow your mind.

The reasoning behind the bullet button has the flavor of Monty Python's reasoning behind weighing a witch against a duck. Which really happened hundreds of years ago you know.

1. EBR (Evil Black Rifles) May not have detachable magazines. It's the law!

2. Detachable means that it cannot be removed from your EBR without the use of a tool.

3. Your finger on the magazine release is NOT a tool.

4. Using the nose of a bullet to operate a magazine release that will not operate when pushed with only a finger IS using a tool. If you must use a tool it in not a detachable magazine.

Ta-Da! The bullet button. It can only be operated by a tool, such as the nose of a bullet and cannot be operated by the push of a finger, hence a rifle with a bullet button does NOT have a "Detachable" magazine.

For example: http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=308

The Bullet Button is largely the result of hard work by CalGuns mavens over the last few years. Tirelessly fighting back against California "Assault' Weapon Law. Pioneering the use of the "Off List Lower" Out-foxing the clown-like Department of Firearms. Teasing out the most bizarre "clarifications" you ever saw.

Stick around buddy, we're just getting started.

kajvid
06-20-2010, 4:58 PM
Your guns might be illegal but we might have legal weed soon!

HondaMasterTech
06-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Let's list what is legal in California;

1. Being a victim.

2. See #1.

N_S
06-20-2010, 11:24 PM

MAK-90
TEC9 Preban
SKS-D accepts AK mags
NHM-91
H&K G3 variant
SPAS 12
Hi-point 9mm carbine
arm- not original
Ruger Mini-14
-Banned by name.
-Banned by name.
-Banned by name.
-A-OK
-Probably banned by name. Not legal either way. If it's not banned by name leave the high cap mags at home and slap a bullet button on it.
-If it's a PTR-91 you can install a bullet button and it's good to go. Otherwise most likely banned by name.
-Banned by name.
-It has a pistol grip and a removable magazine so it's illegal. Slap a bullet button on it.
-Probably too short to meet overall length requirement. Slap a stock on it and you're good to go.
-Keep any mags over 10 rounds at home and check to see if the pistols are on the DOJ Approved Handguns List. Alternatively if the gun is more than 50 years old it's A-OK.
They can't have threaded barrels or magazines in front of the trigger (Like the TEC-9 for instance).
-Legal so long as it has a non pistol-gripped stock and no flash hider (like the Tactical or older Police versions)

Sauces:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Saym14
06-20-2010, 11:28 PM
you may bring in as many off roster handguns as you wish - thats the goof news,

N_S
06-20-2010, 11:33 PM
you may bring in as many off roster handguns as you wish - thats the goof news,

Really? That's sweet.

glockwise2000
06-20-2010, 11:44 PM
- check to see if the pistols are on the DOJ Approved Handguns List.

If he had the pistols prior to coming to CA, it doesn't have to be on the list, right?

glockwise2000
06-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Let's list what is legal in California;

1. Being a victim.

2. See #1.

Oh come on, let's not scare a guy who has an awesome collection.

But, really OP you are ef'd up on those you mentioned.

Welcome to the land of gun-grabbers.