View Full Version : where can i get a 1911 with a internal compensator?

06-18-2010, 1:00 AM
I just ran into a picture of a 1911 V12! very cool looking compensator design! for those of you who dont know (like me 5 minutes ago) the V12's compensator is kind of like the glock "C" models. instead of the flames going straight out they go in a V shape so you can keep a sight picture. are there kits for these? or do you have to buy the entire gun? anyone know?????

06-18-2010, 7:44 AM
I haven't seen any kits that will have the required slide and barrel, but any IPSC/USPSA 1911 gunsmith should be able to make you one. That type of ports requires a bull barrel and a slots on the slide to accommodate the ports. One gunsmith that comes into mind is Johnny Lim of Limcat custom products. I don't know how much is he back log for his regular USPSA pistols. Check out his website www.limcat.com

06-18-2010, 7:54 AM
Wait a minute, have you read your sig line. You want to "Muck up" the JMB design! ;)

Black Majik
06-18-2010, 8:01 AM
You're thinking of the Springfield V12, which has been discontinued from what I remember.

I'm sure I can still pick one up via PPT, I still see them from time to time.

06-18-2010, 8:38 AM
The porting is very cool. I have a Springfield XD-40 V10 and love it. The first time I shot it at the range the dude next to me asked me if I was shooting tracers, and I was like "uhm no"...

The only issue with ported guns is that they muck up the front sight. After you fire about 50 rounds, the smoke makes the front sight black.

06-18-2010, 8:45 AM
It is just porting, you can have it done through springfield and others. It works well.

06-18-2010, 11:29 AM
cool! thanks for the advice guys! much appreciated. im planning on building a custom 1911 and wanted to start with the porting.