PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster or Wilson Combat Upper?

Durwin
06-17-2010, 9:51 PM
Good Evening,
I'm building an AR piece by piece as my budget allows.
Currently, I'm researching which upper to use with my Rock River LAR15 lower.

1. Is there any difference in the quality of Bushmaster or Wilson Combat?
2. Is there is preference? If so, why?

Thanks, Durwin

telcolineman
06-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Bushmaster has been around for years and makes a quality product, I haven't seen the Wilson unit. I would imagine with the quality they put in the 1991 platform the AR units would be very nice, I have had my Bushy for quite some time and have had zero issues. I am sure more will post with experience on WC
Jim

ArkinDomino
06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
None. Get a BCM.

bjl333
06-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Depends on what you want the upper to do. If you're gonna just go and blast paper and rocks only a couple times a year, then even a Del-ton at 4 bills would work. Then If you wanna shoot alot of ammo thru it, then get a better brand like LMT/BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske ... etc, just get it with a chrome line barrel and a good quality BCG. I have/had Armalite, DPMS, CMMG, LMT, BCM, YHM, Bushmaster and they all did the job fine, come to think of it non of them ever jammed on me. Just cruise the for sale forum until something catches your eye. I would stay away from Blackthorne, Model 1 uppers tho !!

killmime1234
06-17-2010, 10:53 PM
I've got a Bushmaster and I've never had any problems. Granted it's only got about 500 or so rounds through it, but my $.02 is Bushmaster makes a quality product. Hope that helps.

DFLO281
06-18-2010, 9:42 PM
BCM or Spikes....

Peter W Bush
06-18-2010, 9:45 PM
Wilson Combat makes some of the finest firearms in the world.

Plisk
06-19-2010, 1:00 AM
Wilson Combat makes some of the finest firearms in the world.

+1

They're stuff is top notch.

grunz
06-19-2010, 6:41 AM
Durwin,

Why have you narrowed your choices at Bushmaster and Wilson Combat?

* Bushmaster is not a serious gun if you plan to shoot a lot - FYI here is just one example of why: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532

* Wilson Combat is good quality but they specialize in 1911's so their AR products will likely cost more because it's not a focus for them.

So unless you're tied to the hip on the above two - I would consider one of the following:

Daniel Defense: http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/browse&category=completeupperreceivergroups

Bravo Company: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Upper-Receiver-Groups-s/1.htm

Mail Clerk
06-19-2010, 7:45 AM
I would get which ever brand costs the least. Both are quality made using the same materials. They just pay extra to put their name on the receiver.

Mail Clerk

grunz
06-19-2010, 8:04 AM
I would get which ever brand costs the least. Both are quality made using the same materials. They just pay extra to put their name on the receiver.

Mail Clerk

Sorry but this is 100% wrong - there are substantial and important differences in how seriously various AR manufactures choose components, materials, inspection procedures and how they assemble the weapons....

tomd1584
06-19-2010, 9:17 AM
Durwin,

Please post links of the specific uppers you are considering. Otherwise we wont be of that much help.

xxINKxx
06-19-2010, 9:28 AM
If your looking for low price, but still very good quality, CMMG has some complete uppers for $520. There is a vendor here who sells them at this price. They are on par with BCM as far as quality goes.

I purchased one today.

But it all comes down to what kinda upper you want, style, length ect. Theres alot better choices then bushmaster IMO

freonr22
06-19-2010, 9:49 AM
Riflegear/bcm/lmt/ google "the upper chart" by m4carbine.net

hit-man
06-19-2010, 10:25 AM
An upper manufactured by a reputable, well known company will serve you well. I have had several Bushmaster, and Armalite uppers and they have all functioned flawlessly. I haven't had the pleasure of shooting a Wilson Combat AR, but they do built top shelf, high speed-low drag gear, so I'm sure you can't go wrong there either.

Josh3239
06-19-2010, 10:46 AM
If your looking for low price, but still very good quality, CMMG has some complete uppers for $520. There is a vendor here who sells them at this price. They are on par with BCM as far as quality goes.

Uh no. CMMG doesn't even deserve to be in the same sentence as BCM. CMMG bolts are a lottery at best, every BCM bolt is made correctly. BCM barrels/uppers are made better. CMMG seems to have a hard enough time properly staking a castle nut.

tomd1584
06-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Uh no. CMMG doesn't even deserve to be in the same sentence as BCM. CMMG bolts are a lottery at best, every BCM bolt is made correctly. BCM barrels/uppers are made better. CMMG seems to have a hard enough time properly staking a castle nut.

Beat me to it.

CMMG is hit or miss. on paper the specs look pretty good, but their Quality control is questionable.

xxINKxx
06-19-2010, 11:28 AM
O well. All im saying is the experience ive had with them and the ones ive shot were great and were well abused with thousands of rounds without a single issue (had properly staked gas keys, even though the list and everyone sais it wont come properly done). Just look at them in person if you can befor purchase is the best way to go. Same goes with stag. When I first joined calguns it was nothing but everyone bashing Stag left and right and saying the bolt gas keys werent properly staked (which it was, and even if not, its a simple fix to do urself) when I was doing research on uppers. But the stag upper I ended up getting has gone to hell and back even with thousands of wolf ammo being ran through it without a hiccup.

I have bushmaster products, and pre-ban bushmaster AR's. Quality isnt anything to brag about. To each his own since everyone has there own opinions.

freonr22
06-19-2010, 11:28 AM
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html this is was I was reffering to. I was posting on phone before

(http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29;)

here is the meat of the link

(http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29;)

tomd1584
06-19-2010, 11:38 AM
O well. The ones ive shot were great and were well abused with thousands of rounds without a single issue. Just look at them in person if you can then I suppose. Same goes with stag. When I first joined calguns it was nothing but everyone bashing Stag left and right when I was doing research on uppers. But the stag upper I ended up getting has gone to hell and back even with thousands of wolf ammo being ran through it without a hiccup.

I have bushmaster products, and pre-ban bushmaster AR's. Quality isnt anything to brag about. To each his own

Stag doesnt even use the proper steel for their barrels. atleast CMMG does. It might not be a big deal to the casual shooter, but you just cant compare them to DD, LMT, BCM or Colt.

Peter W Bush
06-19-2010, 3:39 PM

Mail Clerk

This is simply not true. Just about all Wilson Combat uppers are match grade and will probably go through hell and back. Fit and finish is also superior to Bushmaster, CMMG, Stag, etc. Wilson Combat is one of the VERY few brands that I will pay extra for because of "the name" simply because I have had nothing but great experiences with all of their products that I've handled.

Durwin
06-19-2010, 4:25 PM
Good Afternoon,
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who has posted trying to help me with this. I do appreciate it.

I'm looking more for quality than price. I'm looking at two stripped upper receivers, a Wilson Combat and Bushmaster.

Here is the Bushmaster.
http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=601
It's the stripped match receiver.

Here is the Wilson Combat.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Lower-_-Upper-Receivers/products/271/
Again, the one I'm looking at is the stripped upper.

Why not a complete upper you might ask? Well, I want to assemble as much of this rifle as I can on my own. There is just something about firing a rifle that I have put together with my own two hands.......

Can a "match" receiver use mil-spec parts?

I plan on sending my Rock River LAR 15 lower and whatever upper I buy to Wilson for their Armor Tuff coating.
Thanks for the patience, folks.
Durwin

freonr22
06-19-2010, 5:13 PM
Then get them to fit them by sending your lower to them

daveyshooter
06-19-2010, 5:56 PM
Match receivers, or anything else tends to be tighter (better) built.
No need for it if you are just out shooting watermellons or anything else.
A stock AR will work just fine, once it's zeroed-out.
Only if you plan to get into the NRA HP shooting competitions, should you consider Match parts.
Know this: Match parts cost considerably more than the standard gear.

Good luck and stay safe.

dave

grunz
06-19-2010, 7:47 PM
Whhaaat $190 bucks for a BM stripped upper. :( But yea Bushmaster and quality don't belong in same sentence. Even BM admits this in their advertising where they claim to be the best "commercial grade" AR - tells you a lot. They are not serious guns.

So between the two get the Wilson Combat upper then - particularly because you are also send it all to them. And if you want spend more money check out the VLTOR MUR upper - they are super high quality and look great too.

Next - what barrel and BCG are you looking at? Also how do you plan to use the rifle?

Durwin
06-19-2010, 8:24 PM
Ok, The decision is made. The Wilson it will be. I was thinking about leaning that way.

As far as the barrel goes, I can't decide between a 16 or a 18".
Since this is my first rifle since Uncle Sam would lend me his daily, I'd like a newer style now. Probably a M4 with either of those lengths. My use will be multi purpose. Among them target shooting.

For those of you all who have done this, is a foward assist practical? My only experience was with an A1 and it did not have one.

Lastly, what is a BCG?
Thanks, Durwin

IsaacGlass
06-19-2010, 11:04 PM
+1 for BCM

Dhena81
06-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Why just wilson combat there's so many options for you to consider. I talked to Daniel Defense they told me I could order a upper from them how ever I wanted.

So I got a govt. mid length barrel lite HG with no BCG or charging handle. LMT makes a monolithic upper that you can change barrels quickly with. Larue stealth uppers are very good Noveske is top notch LWRC, POF, LMT make great piston uppers.

Point being there is so many options sticking to Bushmaster or Wilson might not be the way to go keep looking IMO.

The DRis
06-20-2010, 1:19 AM
BCG is "Bolt Carrier Group"

I say have the forward assist. Manufacturers put it there. Why not have it as insurance? My car has airbags, I've never used them, does that mean they are worthless?