PDA

View Full Version : backpacking tomorrow!

siggerette
06-17-2010, 10:03 PM
so its warm now, and the bears are hungry. usualy we go with like 10 people, and we are soo loud that no animals want to come near our camp, tomorrow its just my little bro, one of my buddies and my old lady. i will be carrying. but im not sure if i can do any dammage to,, lets say a big cat with my m21a. or f the bull and just take my sig in 357?

timmyb21
06-17-2010, 10:36 PM
If .357 sig is your biggest cal., take it.

Notblake
06-18-2010, 6:05 PM
honestly pack whatever you can make work best with your backpacking system. Remember a gun in your pack is useless. I like mounting the holster on the lap belt of my backpack where it wont interfere with my system, like it would on a belt holster. Drop leg's work well too but I can't stand them if I am climbing anything that requires 90 deg knee bend, they ride up something fierce.

The .357 sig is a really good bet, good hide penetration, and high (relatively) honestly though you should be more worried about humans than animals. Just don't be stupid, leave no trace, seal the food up, and don't leave it in your tent, (I'm sure you already know all this stuff, and I mean no disrespect, but it might be good for someone else reading this thread)

-Blake

Have lots of fun! Hydrate! and take a bunch of pictures!

Some pics from my most recent adventure, to get you excited!

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9708/img00216201006121924.jpg

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/823/img00209201006121915.jpg

shoupdawg
06-18-2010, 6:41 PM
Awesome...where is that Notblake?

bsg
06-18-2010, 9:52 PM
don't forget about the two legged predators that may appear....

Notblake
06-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Awesome...where is that Notblake?

Santiago Peak, http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1407870,

Thanks go to Roosevelt for letting us keep some of our land relatively untouched.

smittty
06-18-2010, 10:27 PM
so its warm now, and the bears are hungry. usualy we go with like 10 people, and we are soo loud that no animals want to come near our camp, tomorrow its just my little bro, one of my buddies and my old lady. i will be carrying. but im not sure if i can do any dammage to,, lets say a big cat with my m21a. or f the bull and just take my sig in 357?

There will be 4 of you. I don't think you have anything to worry about, no matter how many legs it has!

Smittty

Sunday
06-19-2010, 11:10 AM
For bears Bear spray, cause if the bear comes close enough to get you, will bullets keep the bear from harming you before the bear dies? It would be hard to justify a kill on a bear 75 to 100 yards away fom you "not that I like bears mind you." I feel good packing some protection though.

wilit
06-19-2010, 11:19 AM
honestly pack whatever you can make work best with your backpacking system. Remember a gun in your pack is useless. I like mounting the holster on the lap belt of my backpack where it wont interfere with my system, like it would on a belt holster. Drop leg's work well too but I can't stand them if I am climbing anything that requires 90 deg knee bend, they ride up something fierce.

I tried a drop leg once on a trip and it was a HUGE PITA. Just like Notblake said, it rides up and shifts around and just plain sucks for backpacking. If I were doing a tactical entry into a building, I'm sure it's good, but since I never do those, my drop leg holster has been sitting in the closet since that trip. I have my holster attached to my waist belt on my pack.

As for bear spray vs bullets, that's a whole 'nuther debate that's just as fierce as Chevy vs Ford. As long as you have SOMETHING, it's better than NOTHING.

pigncat
06-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I have been backpacking for 25 year all over Ca and up to the bear country in Montana. Never carried a firearm. All you have to do is careful with your food supply and the animals will not be visiting you. A firmarm in the wilderness is mostly useless against an ambrushing animal. In fact, you might end up shooting one of your friend by accident. So my two cents here is to better avoid the wild animal rather than confronting them. Have a fun and safe trip.

Echidin
06-19-2010, 11:40 PM

Where are you planning on backpacking? Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Take the Sig.

j1133s
06-20-2010, 12:35 AM

As you already know that loudness can be prevent a confrontation... I'll let you in on another camping secret... smelliness is even better because most animals have better sense of smell than hearing.

Don't take a shower for a few days to prep yourselves, then wear those old people diapers and poop inthem just before you go on your hike. I think most animals will avoid you guys.

This way, you are just carrying poop instead of gun and ammo. I think poop is lighter.

Mono
06-20-2010, 2:40 PM
I've hiked for years around the Sierras and I've never ran across a bear. My closest encounter were footprints I found around our tent the next day. One buddy actually did have a bear intrusion in the middle of the night. He also admitted that during dinner that night they got drunk and were throwing cookies at each other and they never cleaned up their mess. So you can't blame the bear. I'd say just be anal about camp hygiene. Put anything with a sweet smell (this include toothpaste) inside the bear canister and tuck the canister at least 100ft from camp. Overall, I wouldn't worry so much about the four legged threats. Now the two legged threats...pack for that.

Notblake
06-20-2010, 6:08 PM
There is lots of truth in this thread. I carry the same bottle of OC spray I ALWAYS have on me for animals. IF I carry a gun on a trail, which is rare, It is due to a worry about cash croppers, or meth labs which both exist over the California wilderness....

advocatusdiaboli
06-20-2010, 6:19 PM
I've been mountaineering in the Sierra for a few decades now and have never had a dangerous confrontation with a bear. They have gotten into our food a few times over the years, but since it was 100 yards from camp, they never bothered us. Black bears don't care about you (unlike Grizzlies)--they just want your food and then they'll leave. Ground squirrels and marmots have gotten things more often. I go into remote, rugged, and high places where I'd know if other humans were approaching long before they reached me. I've never felt the need to "pack" in the wilderness but often have felt the need in town.

pyromensch
06-20-2010, 9:23 PM
ok, he said backpacking tomorrow, which was 3 days ago

pyromensch
06-20-2010, 9:26 PM
I've hiked for years around the Sierras and I've never ran across a bear. My closest encounter were footprints I found around our tent the next day. One buddy actually did have a bear intrusion in the middle of the night. He also admitted that during dinner that night they got drunk and were throwing cookies at each other and they never cleaned up their mess. So you can't blame the bear. I'd say just be anal about camp hygiene. Put anything with a sweet smell (this include toothpaste) inside the bear canister and tuck the canister at least 100ft from camp. Overall, I wouldn't worry so much about the four legged threats. Now the two legged threats...pack for that.

just funny how your comment hit me, i am a mailman, and i don't carry my "dog spray" for dogs, they just act on instinct, and training, i carry it for the people that allow their dogs to attack me. never had to use it though, i can usually negotiate with the dogs.

Doheny
06-20-2010, 9:35 PM
Santiago Peak

Which route did you take (where did you start)?

Notblake
06-20-2010, 9:57 PM
Which route did you take (where did you start)?

I much prefer the Silverado Cyn. trailhead, to the Holy Jim. (cause it's easier)

:D

Doheny
06-20-2010, 9:59 PM
/\/\ Do you think there would still be water at the Holy Jim Falls?

Mono
06-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I much prefer the Silverado Cyn. trailhead, to the Holy Jim. (cause it's easier)

:D

I wish I knew about the Holy Jim trail the last time I hike up the mountain. One 4th of July we hike up taking the Harding Road. 22 miles round trip. Ran out of water at the top. That was the only time in my hiking career that I almost called 911. We underestimated our water usage.

just funny how your comment hit me, i am a mailman, and i don't carry my "dog spray" for dogs, they just act on instinct, and training, i carry it for the people that allow their dogs to attack me. never had to use it though, i can usually negotiate with the dogs.

I think most wilderness incidents are the result of unprepared and overconfident hikers. We are simply entertainment for the animals.